Volunteer?

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007
So, many of you guys know A LOT about Dominican Republic...
Now I have a question, about volunteer work! Im thinking about going back this summer and I'd like to do something valuable with my time... Yes, I've searched on the forum and on google, but I would like straight up infos. Im mostly interested in the north coast [Cabarete] area since I would still like to be around the people I know. No need for a whole 'package' with the lodging and everything, which seems to be all I can find online. I dont want to pay like $5000 to go help. I've looked around at DREAM project, but you need to be 18, and I am not yet. at some point, I even thought of offering french or english classes, but finding a place, and organizing everything seemed a little hard. Entonce mi gente, I am really hoping some of you guys can give me your thoughts, links or whatever!

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Do a search, there are several threads about volunteering on here.I did one and contacted several people on the forum and had alot of responses.I`m working with Dove Missions this summer, I met Liz the founder, on here. I also contacted Orphanage Outreach, Cross Roads...gosh I can`t remember all the names. I talked to many organizations in the DR and Honduras and finally decided that Dove Missions would suit me best:)Go through and read the older posts and send out a few pm`s. Orphanage Outreach was recommended to me by a lady on here. I came across Dove and Cross Roads while doing a volunteer search and sending out pm`s.You can google them for info and Dove has a facebook page. Hope you find what you are looking for:)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If you have some people skills I would suggest that you plan on paying foryour own room and board in a place like Puerto PLata, and volunteer at Mustard Seed or Integracion Juvenil. YOu should not have to PAY to be a volunteer...IMO....There are places where you can stay inexpensively so ask the people upthat way...

HB

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007
If you have some people skills I would suggest that you plan on paying foryour own room and board in a place like Puerto PLata, and volunteer at Mustard Seed or Integracion Juvenil. YOu should not have to PAY to be a volunteer...IMO....There are places where you can stay inexpensively so ask the people upthat way...

HB

That's what I wanted to do! just get there, find an apartment and then find a place to volunteer, but still, I wouldn't want to just get there and have no idea where to start. So I am kind of hoping for some names of places/people I could be interested in. I would be ok with Sosua, but puerto-plata is a little too far for me, I am still young and wouldn't want to be in a city where I don't know anyone.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
"I've looked around at DREAM project, but you need to be 18, and I am not yet."

If you are not yet 18, I think it would be very difficult to rent an apt on your own. Perhaps a room in a house, but I think most people would wonder where your parents were and I personally would be very cautious about trying to do that on your own. It seems like you have been here before, so remember that many adults live with their families until they get arried, so a teenager on his/her on is very unusal. I think you might be quite vulnerable living on your own.

I talked about a great volunteer program for high school students here.

You might not want to do a structured volunteer program but remember that you are a minor and there are legal implications to you being overseas alone. It might be a good idea to have the support of an established organization just in case.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you some things to think about. :classic:

LaMoreniita

Oct 11, 2007
"I've looked around at DREAM project, but you need to be 18, and I am not yet."

If you are not yet 18, I think it would be very difficult to rent an apt on your own. Perhaps a room in a house, but I think most people would wonder where your parents were and I personally would be very cautious about trying to do that on your own. It seems like you have been here before, so remember that many adults live with their families until they get arried, so a teenager on his/her on is very unusal. I think you might be quite vulnerable living on your own.

I talked about a great volunteer program for high school students here.

You might not want to do a structured volunteer program but remember that you are a minor and there are legal implications to you being overseas alone. It might be a good idea to have the support of an established organization just in case.

Not trying to discourage you, just giving you some things to think about. :classic:

Yes, I've been to Cabarete many times before. I have some family over there, so that is why I am 'not scared' of going alone. Well, still I don't know if I will be going alone this time, I might just end up going with some other people, but I've been there alone once. I wouldn't just go to a random place where I don't know any, without any structure, that is exactly why I really would like something situated in/around Cabarete, as I know that village. About the apartment, well it's already 'reserved' for me, we always go to the same place, so they know me and why Im there! Thanks for the heads up though

nsgirl

Nov 4, 2008
Try contacting Liz at Dove Missions. She`s a wonderful lady who works in several different settings and with several organizations.At the very least I`m sure she could point you in the right direction and give you a few names.She is a member on here but has told me that she doesn`t come on much anymore. Your best bet is to message her through the Dove Missions facebook page.I know that she has a group of teens your age comming to work with her for a week in July...She has groups in all the time, some working for the full week or so with her and others who just take a day or two out of their vacation.I`m going down for the first two weeks in July and I`m actually going to stay with her instead of resort this time.Like I said I`m sure she could point you in the right direction at the very least.

las2137

Sep 1, 2008
Yes, I've been to Cabarete many times before. I have some family over there, so that is why I am 'not scared' of going alone. Well, still I don't know if I will be going alone this time, I might just end up going with some other people, but I've been there alone once. I wouldn't just go to a random place where I don't know any, without any structure, that is exactly why I really would like something situated in/around Cabarete, as I know that village. About the apartment, well it's already 'reserved' for me, we always go to the same place, so they know me and why Im there! Thanks for the heads up though

Good! Perhaps my maternal instincts were kicking in, but I suddenly got very worried for you! I hope you have a great summer and that you are able to find a rewarding volunteer experience.