Buying a vehicle and accident procedure.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Hi,
I am planning to buy a vehicle in the DR sometime in the near future. Firstly, would I have any kind of problem doing so without a residency? Also in terms of insurance etc, would it be likely to be more expensive?
I also am led to believe that should an accident occur, I (as the foreigner) would be imprisoned automatically, innocent or guilty I would find myself in a cell for 48 hours. How true is this, it seems rather unfair to imprison someone without trial or claim, if so how is this justified?
Many thanks,

Bill.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
Hi there.

You can buy a car and insurance, the problem would be later your drivers license which you can have only if you are a resident.

You can get the insurance with Casa de Conductor which means in the case of an accident you go to a hotel type of prison where they have rooms and all insurance agents in the lobby to help you.

If you look for a bigger car PM me ... I might want to change my car soon !

We an help you with residency if you need one in the future.

DannyS

Jun 19, 2007
accident

Hi,
I also am led to believe that should an accident occur, I (as the foreigner) would be imprisoned automatically, innocent or guilty I would find myself in a cell for 48 hours. How true is this, it seems rather unfair to imprison someone without trial or claim, if so how is this justified?
Many thanks,

Bill.

Bill, I think like a lot of things in DR your experience may differ from others, but when I had my accident (only one so far!); rather minor but the Dominican on the motorcycle was a little hurt, the bike was more than a little hurt, parts all over the road. When the police arrived on the scene, he was very helpful but then said "You guys work it out" and he left. Can't imagine that happening in the States. Raul and I did work it out and become friendly afterwards. I'm American but have a house there and no, I did not give anyone my DR address! But no jail for me. I would think this may be different with large property damage or bodily injury.

Oh, yea, I have learned that driving in DR, my right hand rear view mirror outside the car is MY BEST FRIEND, always check it regularly!!