A rundown of DR policies for dimwitts!

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Without a huge amount of political policies listings could I have a simplistic understanding of the difficulties Dominicans have in leaving the country, why it isn't and how it could ever be over turned to at least allow ease of travel for vacation, the government that one day may overturn this, and when you expect it to occur, if ever?
Thankyou,

Bill.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Hi,
so she can enter these counties without problem?

South America/Caribbean
America Del Sur/Caribe
Argentina
Bermuda
Chile
Colombia
Dominica
Ecuador
Montserrat
Peru
Uruguay

Asia/Pacific
Asia.Pacico
Cook Islands
Hong Kong
Korea
Japan
Malaysia
Micronesia
Neuie
Philippines
Samoa
Tuvalu
Palau

Middle East
Medio Oriente
Israel

Visa Obtained upon arrival
Visas Disponible en el Aero Puerto
Armenia
Azerbaijan
Bahrain
Cuba
Egypt/Egipto
Gambia
Georgia
Jordan
Kenya
Kuwait
Laos
Macao
Maldives/Maldivas
Nepal
Togo
Zambia
Zimbabwe

Why do I feel this is not correct.
I do apologise but is this true.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Why? I do not think that that list is correct. Barbados certainly needs visas...and most of those places need transfers from other places that do require visas, such as the USA.

HB

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
So travelling with purpose could be an alternative? If I bought a boat perhaps. I've been fancying a 32 ft slinger that could be worth the investment?

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
The standard of living in Bermuda is higher than Canada and the USA so I doubt they would let Dominicans enter without a VISA.
Dont think your list is correct.
I know Dominicans who can easily obtain travel Visas to various countries.
But they are well off and have excellent jobs and a good education.
They are not big flight risks.
It is the country that they want to enter, that makes the decision, not the Dominican government.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
It is the country that they want to enter, that makes the decision, not the Dominican government.

I am led to think it is the other way around. And I am pretty sure that this is the reality. I would love to be shown otherwise if you could please?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I am led to think it is the other way around. And I am pretty sure that this is the reality. I would love to be shown otherwise if you could please?
I would be careful in believing what you have been led to believe by others. What 'THEY' say may not always be a truthful interpretation of the facts!!

My experience in these matters is that ANY Dominican who has been issued a visa by the country they applied to has been permitted to leave the country .......... NO EXCEPTIONS!! Oh, & so as to ensure there is no misunderstanding - the Government of the DR did NOT have any say as to which applicants were granted visas or declined. THOSE decisions were made purely by the country who received the application for a visa.

Perhaps you would like to let us know 'WHO' or 'Which Dominican authority' made a decision that prevented a citizen leaving (unless it was through a Court Ruling of course)? What facts do you have to support your comments that you are "pretty sure that this is the reality"? ~ Grahame.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Can't do that.
Country would empty within a few days.
Noone left to tax and cheat.
Won't happen.

No it wouldnt be empty. The tourists would still be on the beach. LOL
Can you imagine all the Dominicans at the airport with suitcases full of plantains, Brugal in hand and a few live chickens on their way to Nueva Yol. lol
Other than the few very rich Dominicans it would be a ghost town!
hahaha

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007

That is the way it is, around the world, not just for Dominicans.
It is not easy for most people living in developing countries to obtain Visas to travel, especially if they want to go to a developed country.
Why? Because many wouldnt go back home to live in poverty and the host country would be overpopulated with illegal immigrants.
How old are you btw?
Becareful you dont get taken if you buy that boat.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Hi Graham,
I was led to think this way through what I read on this website. I read on a searched thread that the need for return was far greater than the likelihood for ability of the Dominican people to leave.
How else is someone to figure the thought on this other than it is not the entering foreign countries, but the slightly higher likelihood of the DR keeping people inside. Surely I would not be facing a problem if the case was flipped to the opposite?
My Government would be unable to offer a reason of rejection as I pay high Tax, am a legitimate and hard working person without criminal record, and in no way leaned on the government for support in my entire adult life.

Now please let me understand the contradiction within what you claim and what my understanding is. It does not seem to be the receiving country, but the offering country that lets the system down.
I am extremely interested and hope to understand this reality as I may have to live within it.
I do not appreciate deliberate patronising in a response and would like a genuine reply.

Thanks,
Bill.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
You misunderstood what you read.
But you can call your countries immigration office for more information.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Hi Thandie,
I am a first hand driller, wrong side of 30 been on the rigs almost 20 years, I have travelled the world, not only within work but with pleasure also. I am anything but green in the world of cultural difference. I also see the world changing under my feet, being that I am top end manual before it hits real money.

My request was to understand the reasons behind limited travel in DR. I do not have problem, I feel a need to understand what my life holds for me as I have found myself in a fathering situation.

I am asking a question on a certain legal situation of DR I find creates a certain amount of dust in plans for myself and my future family. If people answer then I appreciate this and I will help those that I might be able to help in the future.
Nothing more,
thanks,
Bill

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Bill, you are, as Thandie has told you, mistaken. When a Dominican wishes to travel outside the DR s/he must make an application for a visa to enter the country s/he wishes to visit UNLESS that country is one on the list of countries Dominicans can visit without a visa. (I posted a link to a thread about that list in your other thread).

The visa application is made to the Consulate of the country where the Dominican wishes to travel. The decision is made by a Consular officer of that country, not by a functionary of the Dominican government.

You may ask, "how do you know that?" I know because in November of 2006 I traveled from Puerto Plata to Santo Domingo to accompany a young Dominican lady to the US Consulate. This young lady had a growth on her leg which Dominican doctors had told her was unable to be removed or cured. My friends and contacts in the US arranged the donation of needed medical care for her and sent letters of invitation and promises to provide free care as support for her visa application.

I called the United States Consulate, obtained an emergency medical visa appointment and helped her to prepare the application before we left for SD. Once we were in SD, we arranged to arrive at the Consulate at six AM on the appointed day. There were at least a hundred people in line, hoping to apply for and be granted a visa to visit the United States. Only two visas were granted, the young lady I was helping and one other.

The decision was made in the US Consulate. The role of the Dominican government in this process was simply to provide the passport which was necessary begin the visa application process. The FINAL decision was made when we landed at JFK and the Immigration officer there gave her six months for necessary medical care.

The US government is quite careful about granting visas to people who might overstay. So, in general, you will hear people say that so and so can't get a visa because he can't prove that he will return to the DR. That is the US government making the decision, not the Dominican government demanding that its citizens return to live there.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
I thank you for that direct reply. I would like to PM you once I have a few details in order if that would be ok. Maybe a little advice from you could clear up a few misconceptions I have been fed from certain long term Ex pats I have met on the Island.
Thankyou,

Bill.

Mar 2, 2008
"You don't need a visa to travel in an alternative universe."
Celt202

My first laugh of the day. Thanks, Celt.

However, because of the recent economic shakeout, a visa for any alternative universe, or as they are often referred to, "Emergency escape exit visas", are now required.

Application for these "special needs" visas may be made on Fridays only, and must be accompanied by a non-refundable "finder's fee deposit" of $1500 US, cash money.

Allow me to cut through the red tape. I will gladly initiate the process by collecting the applications, along with the mandatory fee.

For those interested, I am also offering, for a limited time, an expediting service. For a small 'expediting fee', I can virtually guarantee the delivery of your own official alternative universe visa within a few short weeks.

So, when funny Friday rolls around, and you find yourself more than ready to take the plunge into the exciting world of alternative universes, just remember, no one can get you there quicker than "Catcher Expediting Services".

See you soon.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Any dominican can get a passport, they are issued by the Dom. government virtually 'automatic.'

As the other posters have told you already, visa to travel to countries are issued by those countries, not by the Dom. government. These countries do not want Dominicans to 'travel' there and stay, becoming a burden to social services or to the police. Thats why they require a lot of red tape and proof of financial security, before issuing a visa.