Health Insurance

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I will be down for 2 months this summer and spend another month or so there during the year. Is there a health care plan in case an unfortunate bodily accident might happen....

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
There are health care plans available, but no local one that I have ever heard of pays in full. There is always a copay/deductible.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
If you are here only for a few months your insurance that you maintain at home should cover you. Check with them before buying other insurance.

Bob K

pmey27

Oct 12, 2006
I will check with my provider here which is VISTA. My concern is if I would happen to have the unfortunate happen such as break an arm or get sick. It is my understanding that they will not release you until bill is paid.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
I will check with my provider here which is VISTA. My concern is if I would happen to have the unfortunate happen such as break an arm or get sick. It is my understanding that they will not release you until bill is paid.

Just went thru a weekend at the hospital with my friend from juan dolio...a man.He was sick,infection in lung,and we went to Plaza de Salud in SD,a great hospital.He was there in a intensive care room from fri night to mon am.He has no dominican insurance,so when it was time to leave,I had to go get the bill,pay the bill and then and only then would they unhook him from the ivs etc.They will not leave you go until all bills are paid.He also had to give a deposit on day one of 40,000 pesos.This I would guess depends on the problem the patient has,and how long they expect the stay to be.
The totalbill for about 3 1/2 days in the hospital,was about 70,000 pesos....
I would guess in the US it would have been $20,000.for 31/2 days in an intensive care unit.
bob

La Mariposa

Bronze
Jun 4, 2004
Just went thru a weekend at the hospital with my friend from juan dolio...a man.He was sick,infection in lung,and we went to Plaza de Salud in SD,a great hospital.He was there in a intensive care room from fri night to mon am.He has no dominican insurance,so when it was time to leave,I had to go get the bill,pay the bill and then and only then would they unhook him from the ivs etc.They will not leave you go until all bills are paid.He also had to give a deposit on day one of 40,000 pesos.This I would guess depends on the problem the patient has,and how long they expect the stay to be.
The totalbill for about 3 1/2 days in the hospital,was about 70,000 pesos....
I would guess in the US it would have been $20,000.for 31/2 days in an intensive care unit.bob

In the US they would have not asked for a deposit and they would have not taken you you as hostage.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
And

In the US they would have not asked for a deposit and they would have not taken you you as hostage.

they would have not treated you at a private hospital. they would have sent you to a general hospital, where he may have been set up in the hall way. All is not roses in the USA. Normally at some time during the stay, the Hospital will inquire with either the patient or a family member about method of payments, etc. And if in the end you don't pay will go on your credit record, so good luck in the future.

bob was he at the Plaza de Salud or CEDIMAT? They are quite different.

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
they would have not treated you at a private hospital. they would have sent you to a general hospital, where he may have been set up in the hall way. All is not roses in the USA. Normally at some time during the stay, the Hospital will inquire with either the patient or a family member about method of payments, etc. And if in the end you don't pay will go on your credit record, so good luck in the future.

bob was he at the Plaza de Salud or CEDIMAT? They are quite different.

Sorry,Cedimat is where he was...

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004

in the US,no insurance,no way to pay,no service at most hospitals...that is why large hospitals,for profit hospitals,will ship you to an emergency ward,with hours of wait time...at a not for profit hospital...
why do you think the government in US wants to get public medical insurance,because people are hurting,and going broke to get medical help....and Drs. and medicine costs are really sickening in the US.
oh well,just my musing...I still think overal medical service here in this country,is as good as anywhere...and CEDIMAT is probably as good as it gets for medical service anywhere in world.
bb

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
for sure

in the US,no insurance,no way to pay,no service at most hospitals...that is why large hospitals,for profit hospitals,will ship you to an emergency ward,with hours of wait time...at a not for profit hospital...
why do you think the government in US wants to get public medical insurance,because people are hurting,and going broke to get medical help....and Drs. and medicine costs are really sickening in the US.
oh well,just my musing...I still think overal medical service here in this country,is as good as anywhere...and CEDIMAT is probably as good as it gets for medical service anywhere in world.
bb

CEDIMAT is great, I know when I had my heart attack, treated at CEDIMAT by Dr. Pedro Urenas. was told later in the US that if the same thing had happened at a lot of the hospitals there, the flat line would have been it.

Campesina

Sep 12, 2004
Listen to Chirimoya, get travel insurance. I know of 2 people who had it and used it, even though one had a pre-existing condition, it was covered here. Very inexpensive for peace of mind.