Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Health Insurance

I will be down for 2 months this summer and spend another month or so there during the year. Is there a health care plan in case an unfortunate bodily accident might happen....

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

There are health care plans available, but no local one that I have ever heard of pays in full. There is always a copay/deductible.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If you are here only for a few months your insurance that you maintain at home should cover you. Check with them before buying other insurance.

Bob K

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I will check with my provider here which is VISTA. My concern is if I would happen to have the unfortunate happen such as break an arm or get sick. It is my understanding that they will not release you until bill is paid.

Post Thanks / Like

Travel insurance?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pmey27 View Post
    I will check with my provider here which is VISTA. My concern is if I would happen to have the unfortunate happen such as break an arm or get sick. It is my understanding that they will not release you until bill is paid.

Just went thru a weekend at the hospital with my friend from juan dolio...a man.He was sick,infection in lung,and we went to Plaza de Salud in SD,a great hospital.He was there in a intensive care room from fri night to mon am.He has no dominican insurance,so when it was time to leave,I had to go get the bill,pay the bill and then and only then would they unhook him from the ivs etc.They will not leave you go until all bills are paid.He also had to give a deposit on day one of 40,000 pesos.This I would guess depends on the problem the patient has,and how long they expect the stay to be.
    The totalbill for about 3 1/2 days in the hospital,was about 70,000 pesos....
    I would guess in the US it would have been $20,000.for 31/2 days in an intensive care unit.
    bob

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jaguarbob View Post
    Just went thru a weekend at the hospital with my friend from juan dolio...a man.He was sick,infection in lung,and we went to Plaza de Salud in SD,a great hospital.He was there in a intensive care room from fri night to mon am.He has no dominican insurance,so when it was time to leave,I had to go get the bill,pay the bill and then and only then would they unhook him from the ivs etc.They will not leave you go until all bills are paid.He also had to give a deposit on day one of 40,000 pesos.This I would guess depends on the problem the patient has,and how long they expect the stay to be.
    The totalbill for about 3 1/2 days in the hospital,was about 70,000 pesos....
    I would guess in the US it would have been $20,000.for 31/2 days in an intensive care unit.bob
    In the US they would have not asked for a deposit and they would have not taken you you as hostage.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

That is why I need to investigate this matter!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default And

Quote Originally Posted by La Mariposa View Post
    In the US they would have not asked for a deposit and they would have not taken you you as hostage.
    they would have not treated you at a private hospital. they would have sent you to a general hospital, where he may have been set up in the hall way. All is not roses in the USA. Normally at some time during the stay, the Hospital will inquire with either the patient or a family member about method of payments, etc. And if in the end you don't pay will go on your credit record, so good luck in the future.

bob was he at the Plaza de Salud or CEDIMAT? They are quite different.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bienamor View Post
    they would have not treated you at a private hospital. they would have sent you to a general hospital, where he may have been set up in the hall way. All is not roses in the USA. Normally at some time during the stay, the Hospital will inquire with either the patient or a family member about method of payments, etc. And if in the end you don't pay will go on your credit record, so good luck in the future.

bob was he at the Plaza de Salud or CEDIMAT? They are quite different.
    Sorry,Cedimat is where he was...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast