how much will i pay for my tv in duties 32 inch lcd?

elzorro

Apr 17, 2009
im a dominican citizen moving to dominican republic may 18, i need to know how much is the tax to be pay at the airport, or how much is if i send it via fedex.......

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I agree with what windeguy says, it's not worth bringing over items you buy from the states to latin america due to the taxes/duties you end up forking over to customs. whatever you saved or bargained for is going to their pockets now.....sorry.
usually people wait until Christmas time to bring stuff over duty free, i've seen it at the airport lines when coming to DR for the holidays, people stuffed LCD screen TVs in their suitcase! LOL

TheMindFrame

Mar 4, 2009
But will the money get you the same kind of TV?

That's my main worry since I'm going to be in a similar situation in a couple of months. I paid $500 for my 32 in last year. I'd still rather pay the taxes because from what I've searched, I can't get the same type of TV with that money, even when the import taxes are factored in.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
walked right out of Santiago airport

I tried to ship a Sony 32" in December. Checked several shipping companies and everyone wanted approx $800 for door to door delivery.
I finally gave up and exchanged it for a 26" Toshiba (one that would fit in my underarmour bag) and flew to Santiago. At customs everyone with bags was being sent to the Xray machine. When the gentleman saw me with just a carry-on he said I didnt have to get in line and pointed towards the exit. Wheww!
It was a risk but the smile on my dads face when I gave him the LCD was worth it!

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
Understand this about the DGA. They have an established value for just about anything you bring in the country. ANYTHING!!

The tax they charge is based on that established value. PERIOD. No ifs, ands, or buts.

It doesn't matter what you paid for it, or if you have a receipt, or any other kind of proof.

You show up with an item, they say it's worth XXXX, and the taxes are XXXX.

You either pay the taxes, or they keep the item.

Next time you're in the airport, ask to see the area where they keep all the items that have either been left behind, or are waiting for the taxes to be paid.

You'll be amazed. I know I was.

the airport just had an auction last month with just carloads of things from the airport...from tvs to ipods...cloths,etc..
why dont people just buy their large tv here and just forget about it,please...in the long run you will be better off...
bob

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
it is kind of funny that good people have to behave like criminals because of beaurocrocy gone insane. cocaine going north and flat screens going south.

Reactions: AlaninDR

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
I checked the new customs form and it does in fact state that you can bring in $500 worth of gifts, once in a three month period. If you have an LCD tv, or other electronic item that cost less than $500 with a receipt to prove it, it *should* be exempt from the DGI value and taxation. Has anyone tried this "argument"?

jaguarbob

Bronze
Mar 2, 2004
How do you find out when the auctions are?

I read it on Dominican Today about 2 weeks ago....I think there is some protocol in getting registered and you buy complete containers of items,not just one...
bob

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
What the customs law is and how it is applied are often times very different. I've brought many items including a Sony 26" LCD in my luggage and never been inspected. You may pass on through or you may have to pay an exhorbitant amount. It's different each time but a person needs to be aware of the risk involved and the potential downside.
With regards to the $500 gift allowance, it also is not specific. A friend recently brought a car radiator valued at $200 and said it was a gift. Customs said it was not a gift item and he had to pay $167 duty.

vi6six

Feb 7, 2009
i sent a 22" LCD TV and a sony micro stereo system and a barrel of food and cloths to santo domingo and it all cost me $500.00 dollars. no more. door to door shipping. it is called Embarque Tenares, Corp. phone # 18889611300