Is it legal to own a macaw in the Dominic Republic

RonP

Apr 4, 2009
As I do due diligence into looking into making a move to the DR I have been told that it is illegal to own a macaw in the DR. I know that from reading the form that owning the parrot that is native to the DR is illegal to own but never have I seen anything that says owning a macaw is illegal. I understand that bring a bird into the DR requires a quarinteen period of 10 days. My wife would never give up our pet macaw.

suarezn

Gold
Feb 3, 2002

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Didn't someone say their parrot had been taken away from them at the airport a while ago??? Something to do with bird flu??? Or am I mistaken?

Matilda

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I have a red and yellow macaw, but it was smuggled in from Peru...

I know people that do bring them in, legally, so I would imagine that if you bring a vet's certificate that the bird is in good health, there should not be much of a problem.

also, do some footwork to be sure..

I want to pair mine, but i don't know if it's male or female, but we call it Tania!!

HB

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I have seen them for sale!

I don't know about the legalities of owning one, but if there was a problem I would be somewhat surprised as other have said I have seen them for sale in pet shops and advertised elsewhere. I would assume if they weren't legal you wouldn't be allowed to sell them out in the public like that. But then again what do I know?;)

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
not sure how acurate this was but ....
there was a thread ..... bird killed by customs...I cant seem to do the link today

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
you might need a CITES permit for the bird, to bring it in legally.

quarantine I thought was longer, like a month. then they charge you all kinds of fees for this.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
I have a red and yellow macaw, but it was smuggled in from Peru...

I know people that do bring them in, legally, so I would imagine that if you bring a vet's certificate that the bird is in good health, there should not be much of a problem.

also, do some footwork to be sure..

I want to pair mine, but i don't know if it's male or female, but we call it Tania!!

HB

hey Louis,
my wife Tania just asked me a bout your address.
we are preparing for a BBQ with friends in 30 minutes,
rare things going on,
i never before saw her cleaning her '45 on a sat noon so short before we leave, ha ha
o.k.,
at least i am sure this Tania is def female, lol.
to bring in animals is a costy thingy, yeap,
and with that birdflu stuff in mind customs will give you any hassle possible to not let cross a bird the border.
10 days quarantine for a animal sound very short to me.
you should check with customs prior to bying a ticket to know what exactly are the requirements for your specific kind of birdie. if customs assume's a incoming bird could be any danger for local wildlife b/c some papers are missing i guess he would disappear quick without a chance to buy him/her a ticket back home.
Mike