Hotel Grand Oasis-Punta Cana ????!!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
It has beent talked about for a few days, but it has just been reported that Hotel Grand Oasis in Cabeza del Toro, Punta Cana has indeed been closed.

Rumours were because they have been dumping waste in an illegal place and have been warned on serveral occasions. It is also reported that they have to pay a 11,000,000 peso fine.

Will add more when i know the details, I am not sure where guests will be transfered to.....More importantly it looks like Mr LJ will have a night off on Sunday as we are due to perform sunday evening.

Will update if i hear anymore.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
hi Laura,
it is def not closed.
i start with my boats from the pier right in front of the Oasis, people been on the beach this morning when all 3 boats went off, people been at the restaurant there and right now my buddy who is representative of a local touroperator is there at the Oasis talking to his clients, it is at this moment operating like usual.
they got a 11.8 millions pesos fine and the reason is not a new problem, the Oasis is violating our laws on that behavior since a very long time and we really appreciate that the authorities finally took action.
their problem is that the used filters for their dirty water do have by far not the capacity to filter the real amount of dirty water, and that problem been present long before the new Oasis opened, so now they are even much more much too small. so due to not filtering the outgoing water it went in the protected area which is the Lagoon down here, i guess that the with the time caused damage is hard or impossible to repair.
the fine converted in US$ is just a lil bit over 300.000US$, i wished they would have given them an additional zero in that number.
so now the hotel received a deadline til when the filtersystem has to work according to the requirements and the fine has to be paid, if they fail on one of those points the hotel would be closed. i still could not find out when that day will be, the hotel keeps the mouth shut in case of such questions, even my buddy who wanted to get info so he would know if he needs to take action in case of his customers there, did not get any question answered by the hotel.
we will see soon.
Mike

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I must admit i when i heard everyone talking about such a HUGE fine, I said that was only 300,000 dollars which is nothing to these places!

I am actually going to a meeting in Dreams Palm Beach today which is next door, but as you say its business as normalmat the moment. Thanks for clearing that up, the news here in Higuey obviously got ahead of themselves.

Will pop in for a cup of tea on the way home from dreams mike, shall we say about 6ish LOL! ;)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Tea????
hey Laura, i don't wanna poison myself,
but in case of some cold ones at the Colmadon which is on your way i never say no.
will drop ya a PM with my cellphone number.
i am home today and do not plan to leave cabeza de toro this afternoon.
will have 3 boats coming in now in case you are on your way to the beach, it's the ones named La Kucky, Mata Tiempo and Almiranta.
when i read the first article yesterday i understodd it myself that the place is been closed right away, just wondered that i did not see any unusual activity, like police or Marines presence around, or a number of buses who would bring clients away or such.
i hope the touroperators are responsible enough to not have any clients left there in case of a 'closing day', would not look good to see guests of our island transported out of their hotel and sure the whole world would again just blame the dominican gubmin with the typical crying about corruption/authority brutality and such, even that they in my eyes absolutely right and do it the smooth way. they would have had the legal right to close the spot right away, i am glad that they show enough sensibility to the subject specially in case of involved visitors of the Isle.
Mike

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Tea????
hey Laura, i don't wanna poison myself,
but in case of some cold ones at the Colmadon which is on your way i never say no.
will drop ya a PM with my cellphone number.
i am home today and do not plan to leave cabeza de toro this afternoon.
will have 3 boats coming in now in case you are on your way to the beach, it's the ones named La Kucky, Mata Tiempo and Almiranta.
when i read the first article yesterday i understodd it myself that the place is been closed right away, just wondered that i did not see any unusual activity, like police or Marines presence around, or a number of buses who would bring clients away or such.
i hope the touroperators are responsible enough to not have any clients left there in case of a 'closing day', would not look good to see guests of our island transported out of their hotel and sure the whole world would again just blame the dominican gubmin with the typical crying about corruption/authority brutality and such, even that they in my eyes absolutely right and do it the smooth way. they would have had the legal right to close the spot right away, i am glad that they show enough sensibility to the subject specially in case of involved visitors of the Isle.
Mike

Ok mike, will call you and take you up on that beer!...or i will bring a flask of tea and some cucumber sandwhiches ;)