DINING OUT IN SOSUA

R

Richard

Should you be visiting Sosua, even if you are staying at an all-inclusive resort, here are a few suggestions for restaurants, which you may enjoy. Dining out is for the most part inexpensive. For less than 200 pesos you can enjoy a good dinner in any of the places below. First on my list is La Roca. Located on the main street (Pedro Clisante) right beside the lane leading to Sosua Beach. The menu is varied and good. Service is excellent and the large terrace is a perfect place to watch the passing throng. Specials are listed every day on a sandwich board out front. If you face La Roca and look to your left you will see PJ?s, now operated by Jhonny Perdomo and his family. The quality and quantity is good and again there is an n attractive terrace and patio. PJ?s really deserves a try. About half a block up the street away from the beach is Mamajuana owned for many years by Swiss ex-pat Marco. Here I usually order weinerschnitzel, always good and filling. If you like mashed potatoes ask for them even if they aren?t on the menu. Recently Marco opened a small intimate bar right behind the dining area. It is air-conditioned and funky. Directly across the street is Bogies, friendly service and great Dominican food. A couple of doors from Mamajuana is the Britannia Pub operated by Barb and linden Andersen from Calgary, it is friendly and often busy. It is a hangout for ex-pats and offers excellent lunchtime specials (fish and chips on Fridays). Go another block and turn left when you see Harrison?s Jewelry Store. A bit further on the right is Mama Mia, which in my estimation serves the best pizza in Sosua. There is also a full menu of fish, chicken, pasta and beef. Service is good and it is inexpensive. Go back to Harrison?s turn left, go another block or so and at the corner of David Stern is El Toro, a steak house. Their beef is excellent and the prices reasonable. You may also want to try Lorenzo?s a recent addition to the local scene. It is on the same street as the ball field, opposite and a short walk from the entry to Casa Marina. Operated by Arnold, an Austrian who at one time operated Pavilion and PJ?s the food was good, but service even by Dominican standards was slow, slow, slow. My last suggestion, if you enjoy excellent seafood my choice is still Atlantico in Charamicos. Great view of the bay, excellent service and atmosphere. Atlantico is the only one mentioned which necessitates a taxi (50 pesos), the others are all easy walking distance from most hotels. Other visitors will no doubt have their own choices, however, to me, these are all good. P.s. Don?t forget to leave a propina (tip) for your server, especially if service is good. Enjoy yourselves in Sosua.

C

Chicacago Chris

Richard: Congratulations for doing what our former vice president down here, Dan Quale, could not do. You spelled "potatoes" correctly. Richard for V.P. in 2004 (so long as its not with Hillary).

R

Richard

thanx Chris. I had the benefit of spell check. I did forget to mention that visitors to Sosua could contribute to the poor kids education fund at the Britannia Pub. Hopefully they will ask about it when they are there.

K

Karina

Thanks for the excellent info

Richard, it is exactly what I was looking for! What is the average price of a cold cervaza? Do any of the bars offer Canadian Rye Whisky? I will have a hard time deciding which places to visit as you make them all sound just excellent, but we will visit a few for sure!! Thanks again!!

J

John

richard,you forgot the waterfront.you people staying at the casa marina reef,beach,can just walk over for a good meal with flavor,worth the extra from your all inclusive right jim h...

G

Greg and Connie Wales

Re: Don't miss this drink

For the most romantic afterdinner drink have Buffalo Bill serve you his famous drink called "The Buffalo Bill" at (I forget the name - is it "La Punta" ?) The place is where George always ended up with his horse drawn cart. He had advertising for the place on his cart too. Tell Buffalo Bill you heard about him on the internet.

R

Richard

Re: Thanks for the excellent info

I think you will find the average price of a presidente is 25 pesos, sometimes a little higher. Most likely you will find CC available at most of the good dining rooms. keep in mind too that the percent as it is normally called, 10% service and 8% tax is required by law and is added to the price although in some cases it may be included in he price. As John mentions, Werfront, now operated by Bob White and Horst of Sammy's fame enjoys a good reputation. There are so many good places one post can't cover them all. No doubt others will have their own favorites.
Bon appetit.

R

Richard

Just a little comment. Horst did not own Sammy's he worked there. For anyone interested in photos of Sosua, check out the Sosua club on Yahoo. http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/sosuadominicanrepublic

R

rob

Hi scoutie
what / where was Sammy's I never heard of it.
And where is the other owner coming from?
Rob

R

Richard

Sammys is now called Bogies. it was right next door to Casablanca, downstairs from Sosua Business services The new owners are Dominican, very pleasant and nice people

R

Richard

Re: Don't miss this drink

I think it might be in the neighbourhood of El Neptuno. Others will most likely know it. By the way, Horst, now at the Waterfront did not own Sammys, he worked there.

R

rob

Hi Richard,
what is it, a restaurant bogies I mean?
Rob

T

trina

Richard, are you the mayor of Sosua???

Regards,
Trina
PS
How is your tour company going???

R

Richard

Re: Richard, are you the mayor of Sosua???

Sorry to disapoint you. No tour company, no mayor of Sosua, no nada. I just happen to be an ex-resident of Sosua who believes it is a great place to live and vacation.

T

trina

Re: Richard, are you the mayor of Sosua???

I think I have you mistaken you for another Richard that owns a tour company.
PS
I love Sosua too, and Barb and Linden Anderson as well. Give them and Lindo and Luisa my love. Didn't get much of a visit in during Christmas.

R

Robin

Re: Richard, Dining in Puerto Plata

Hello Richard, Excellent comments on dining in Sosua. Would you have any comments on dining in Puerto Plata. Will be staying in an all inclusive (Feb 2001), but would very much enjoy dining out of the resort.

C

ChicacagoChris

Yeah, its a restaurant/cantina on Calle Pedro Clisante next door to the Club Havana and almost directly across the street from Britannia Pub. Very good food cold Presidentes and Fifi's smile is the most beautiful in Sosua. If only she was ten years older and I was ten years younger. She's a beauty.

R

Richard

To be very honest, I'm not that familiar with the scene in Puerto Plata. However, I always head for Cafe Cito. You can check their menu and get directions at. www.popreport.com

I think you wil enjoy it. It's funky, the food is great and reasonable.

R

Robin

Thanks, can you also tell me how long and how much (approx) a cab ride would be from Puerto Plata (Playa Dorada) to Sosua?