Now we really need residency

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i gotta rant here:
for god's sake why is it that extranjeros complain so much about the need of getting residencia yet spit and rave at "f***ing immigrants" in their own countries? c'mon, people...
:tired:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
1000US$ is a lot of money to some of the Gringos here...
Plus, worst of all, pot residue stays in the body for 12 weeks!!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
if one has money for drugs then surely one can spare a thousand bucks for residencia.
somehow i tend to think that those who do not apply for one either: a. are junkies, b. have AIDS or c. are criminals...

Reactions: drloca

la_barbie

Bronze
May 6, 2004
i gotta rant here:
for god's sake why is it that extranjeros complain so much about the need of getting residencia yet spit and rave at "f***ing immigrants" in their own countries? c'mon, people...
:tired:

Jesus why so mean biotch ? lol

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Good luck with that Mr Bob.
I would love to know how that works out for you.
Does this mean that if the authorities are alerted about a Gringo with no residency, they might take action?
This could get very interesting.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I translated this article to english and it says that if you do NOT meet the qualifications for residency you will be repatriated

Here is the english version....Thank God Mine is in the proceess just in case

Illegal aliens are removed in the DR
Written by: Diogenes For Tejada
El Nacional
LAS AMERICAS AIRPORT .- The General Director of Migration warned today that all foreigners living illegally in the country and do not satisfy the requirements to obtain a residence Dominican, will be repatriated.

What determines who is living here illegally?

When you overstay your tourist visa you pay a fine was what I have read.

Have the laws changed or were they not inforced?

Last edited:

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
This could clean up some of the tourist areas of the Gringos of dubious character in quick fashion.
I can hear the nervous knocking of knees already.
Good stuff!

Reactions: mike l

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
If you move to a new country/ lifestyle, why would you not want to embrace that country and become a resident unless there is an underlying reason that you would not be accepted in your new place?

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Why Indeed?

If you move to a new country/ lifestyle, why would you not want to embrace that country and become a resident unless there is an underlying reason that you would not be accepted in your new place?

Because you might be a lowlife who chooses his destination on the grounds that the rules are overlooked.

If this law is made to stick (and not just bought round by a few thousand pesos) there are plenty of dodgy expats who are done for.
People often talk about the fact that "this ain't Kansas Dorothy".
But in my experience, the very fact that the country is corrupt as hell attracts Gringos who have little choice but to be on "permanent holiday".
Beware the Gringos, not the natives!
These are the guys who will wash the unsuspecting innocent retiree investor out in a "Sosua Shanghai" or a "Boca Chica Boogaloo" quicker than you can say "retirement business opportunity in paradise".

If this law flushes some of these guys out, it would not be a bad thing!

:pirate:

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007

I agree with your statement and it has taken me a while to decide if I want to live here long enough to become a resident.

When you first move here all of the advice on this form is to live here for a year to see if the DR is a place you want to stay long term / buy prperty etc.

Why would anyone rush to become a resident when there is no reason to do so other than to have valid insurance if you purchase an automobile.

All info suggests that you could stay here as long as you wish ( without residency ) and the only penalty was a fine when you leave for overstaying your tourist card.

With residency aren't you also supposed to pay taxes here!

Why would someone volunteer for that?

I am applying for residency but only for insurance purposes and i will probabally be living in the Bahamas by the time I actually get this lengthy procedure done.

So I ask again what is the real law concerning what classifies some as living here illeagally?

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Does this mean that if the authorities are alerted about a Gringo with no residency, they might take action?

Well they have in select cases in the past ;) depending on who referred & if the...er.....paperwork involved was made worth their while. Sometimes the mere suggestion of a cull was enough to move people on :).

Because it's the right thing to do. And compared with many countries they are pretty minimal for individuals (not businesses!). If foreigners move here & break the law by not paying their taxes, they don't have a leg to stand on when they themselves are on the receiving end of corrupt law enforcement.

Last edited:

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
This could clean up some of the tourist areas of the Gringos of dubious character in quick fashion.
I can hear the nervous knocking of knees already.
Good stuff!

LOL, hopefully but unfortuantely the dubios types are not nervous because they know a little money in the palm of the right people will get them whatever they need. You can buy drivers liscence and grades why not a residency. That is why they choose the DR in the first place!
I was shocked at how many expats I bumped into, when I first arrived in POP and asked simple questions like 'hey where are you from' and the ducking and diving I would get in response.
I remember saying to one American guy at a restaurant on the Malecon in POP....'what is the big secret I am not with the CIA'. He laughed and said no I just dont want my wife or my daughter to know I travel to the DR.
Yay right!
I can understand why some expats live in a bubble in those areas.
They dont know who they can trust.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
I agree with your statement and it has taken me a while to decide if I want to live here long enough to become a resident.

When you first move here all of the advice on this form is to live here for a year to see if the DR is a place you want to stay long term / buy prperty etc.

Why would anyone rush to become a resident when there is no reason to do so other than to have valid insurance if you purchase an automobile.

All info suggests that you could stay here as long as you wish ( without residency ) and the only penalty was a fine when you leave for overstaying your tourist card.

I am applying for residency but only for insurance purposes and i will probabally be living in the Bahamas by the time I actually get this lengthy procedure done.

So I ask again what is the real law concerning what classifies some as living here illeagally?

With residency, you can legally obtain a Dominican driving licence, get married for a fraction of the cost and take the Teleferico up the mountain in POP for just 100 pesos (!) and I am sure there are many other benefits and advantages too.

With regard to the taxes, I assume that is only applicable if you are earning a proper income but, please don't quote me on that one.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I imagine that if you overstay your (visitor) visa you are here illegally.
A fine where I come from is handed down when you do something illegal, be it civil or criminal.
I think we get used to the notion that because it is "O.K." here to drink a few beers and drive in D.R. that it is not illegal.
I think it still is illegal but you can get away with it here as opposed to in most first world countries.
Just because the laws are not enforced, it does not mean that breaking them is not illegal.

The more the country becomes civilized the less you can get away with stuff, regardless of whether it seems O.K. to do it or not.
Eventually, when this country is civilized like the U.S, Canada, U.K, Germany, whatever - it will lose its appeal. It will be Kansas with platanos.

As I have said before - we trade a little standard of living for a little quality of life.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
[/QUOTE]Because it's the right thing to do. And compared with many countries they are pretty minimal. If foreigners move here & break the law by not paying their taxes, they don't have a leg to stand on when they themselves are on the receiving end of corrupt law enforcement.[/QUOTE]

Here, Here!!!
Some of the taxes we pay go towards schools, libraries (?), roads, bridges etc.
These are good things mainly.