Palo ?

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
The video you are watching is of some Dominican chick who THINKS she is dancing Palo music. Palo music is the music of Santeria. I might be wrong but it comes from the mother land (AFRICA). You hear a lot of Palo music during holly week when the saints are worshiped. I had the pleasure of attending a Palo event and it is nothing like the chick on the video. It is danced totally different. I have this song in my library but do not know the name of it. If you want it send me a PM with your email and I will send it to you.

vi6six

Feb 7, 2009
in cuba, haiti, puerto rico and the DR they all worship saints and it all dose come from africa. a very good cd is from Kinito Mendez and it is called A Palo Limpio. in DR they celebrate a lot of fiestas de palo in july, september and november.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

YouTube - LOS PALOS DOMINICANO!! TETE STYLE

I keep hearing this song... como se llama?
And what IS palo? there's a wikipedia article, ill read that later, but it'll be interesting to get Dominicans' perspectives.
What are the letras to the song?

Thanks a lot!

Los Palos Solo Para Dominicanos
by Kinito Mendez (A Palo Limpio). Became hugely popular in the DR and was the first album, by a main street Dominican artist, to heavily incorporate Palos (or Atabales). Popular around Carnival/Holy Week and speaks of Santeria/Vudu saints etc. A very Dominican sound. If I get a chance I will get the lyrics, if not, just know it speaks about religion.

Mr. Lu

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
Palo dominicano

YouTube - LOS PALOS DOMINICANO!! TETE STYLE

I keep hearing this song... como se llama?
And what IS palo? there's a wikipedia article, ill read that later, but it'll be interesting to get Dominicans' perspectives.
What are the letras to the song?

Thanks a lot!

wow! I have this CD at home:
Amazon.com: Raices Africanas: Grupo Afrocuba: Music
this is a great album that has songs dedicated to a few of the Orishas/Santos idolized in the religion shared in the caribbean.

the song you mentioned in the YouTube video is titled LOS OLIVOS and is featured on this CD:
Amazon.com: Palos, Salve, Gaga & Congos: Musica Raiz: Music
currently discontinued [not sure why], I have this CD at home too and it is very powerful and moving to listen to! :)

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

wow! I have this CD at home:
Amazon.com: Raices Africanas: Grupo Afrocuba: Music
this is a great album that has songs dedicated to a few of the Orishas/Santos idolized in the religion shared in the caribbean.

the song you mentioned in the YouTube video is titled LOS OLIVOS and is featured on this CD:
Amazon.com: Palos, Salve, Gaga & Congos: Musica Raiz: Music
currently discontinued [not sure why], I have this CD at home too and it is very powerful and moving to listen to! :)

Is there anyway you can get this to me?? I have had trouble getting these.....mp3. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Mr. Lu

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
i'll dig around

Is there anyway you can get this to me?? I have had trouble getting these.....mp3. Anyone? Anyone? Anyone?

Mr. Lu

hey Lu, I have to dig around my basement and storage boxes at home. I know I have these CDs, if I am able to locate them I will convert to mp3 and email you the files. Keep reminding me as I tend to forget things! LOL

J :cheeky:

mariel

Dominisueca
Apr 7, 2004
hey Lu, I have to dig around my basement and storage boxes at home. I know I have these CDs, if I am able to locate them I will convert to mp3 and email you the files. Keep reminding me as I tend to forget things! LOL

Could I please have a copy too? Thanks.

vi6six

Feb 7, 2009
i have the CD on my computer any one that wants some of the songs let me know and send you email address.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007

No worries Jalen and thanks for trying. Cheers!

Mr. Lu

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Oh I would love a copy of this CD too please!
I have a lot of Afro Cuban music that you cannot easily, if at all, find outside of Cuba if anyone is interested.
Thanks

I went to one palo ceremony in the DR.