1965 Civil War: 400 U.S. Marines?

?

? bient?t

400? What's up, DR1 news? 400? What about la ochenta y dos de paracaidismo?

?

? bient?t

And by some accounts (NYT's Tad Szulc), more like 42,000.

Mr. Lu

Bronze
Mar 26, 2007
The 400 was in reference to the initial deployment, not the final number.

Mr. Lu

?

? bient?t

OK, mod, I guess Rush hasn't told you about the DR1 news article regarding las tropas americanas durante la revoluci?n del '65?

The number given was right... give or take 41,600. But what do we know? We're not 'General Stuff' mods.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
That was a reference to the 82nd Airbourne...

There were never 42000 troops here, and 20,000 is a stretch.. You weren't there, I wuz...

Overwhelming? Yes. Efficient? Yes. But I would need to see the US Records of deployment to believe those figures. When that book was written theauthor did not have access...

Did it work>? Within the context of the 1960s Cold War...yes...a leftist-leaning. liberal takeover with ties to Castro and Moscow was avoided...Was it good for the country? Who can say...

Whoever took over the government would have to deal with Police and military that were Trujillo born and bred....Certainly not something easy to take on no matter what the political persuasion...

HB

?

? bient?t

That was a reference to the 82nd Airbourne...

There were never 42000 troops here, and 20,000 is a stretch.. You weren't there, I wuz...

Overwhelming? Yes. Efficient? Yes. But I would need to see the US Records of deployment to believe those figures. When that book was written theauthor did not have access...

Did it work>? Within the context of the 1960s Cold War...yes...a leftist-leaning. liberal takeover with ties to Castro and Moscow was avoided...Was it good for the country? Who can say...

Whoever took over the government would have to deal with Police and military that were Trujillo born and bred....Certainly not something easy to take on no matter what the political persuasion...

HB

You once said "no one knocks on doors any longer," regarding U.S. elections, and now you said, "You weren't there..."

Wrong on both counts, se?or.

The author, Tad Szulc, one of MANY reporters, was there, as well. And Szulc was not the only one saying so.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
You once said "no one knocks on doors any longer," regarding U.S. elections, and now you said, "You weren't there..."

The author, Tad Szulc, one of MANY reporters, was there, as well. And Szulc was not the only one saying so.[/QUOTE

A bientot;

Just FYI, Hillbilly is a PROFESSOR OF HISTORY at PUCMM and as such, deals ONLY in facts, not in innuendo from unqualified sources.
What are YOUR history qualifications, other than reading someone else's writings and putting you own interpreation on that writing?
Also, are you associated with any "left-leaning" organizations that might, or have, colored your rhetoric?
And, who is Ted Szluc? Is he a well known, respected writer/reporter who digs up his own stuff, ordoes he depend on theinformation he reports on from second-handed sources.
Personally, I have never heard of him. Who did/does he report the news for; in particular at the time of the occasion in question.
It has always intrigued me that the events of the past are viewed differently as time goes by. We tend to forget the emotions involved at the time these events took place. Enemies become friends and friends become enemies over time and a different "spin" is given to otherwise accepted events.
But, that's what History is about, isn't it?

Texas Bill

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Hillbilly;

Check with Wikipedia googling "Invasion of the Dominican Republic" and, if you would, verify the information contained on that page's "thumbnail report" of the essential elements.
It would seem that by johnson's initiative, other Latin American Countries joined in containing this revolution/civil war.
Are the facts presented therein reasonably correct?
This is important for future argument and to clear up previous ones that have appeared on these pages from time to time.

Texas Bill

?

? bient?t

The author, Tad Szulc, one of MANY reporters, was there, as well. And Szulc was not the only one saying so.[/QUOTE

A bientot;

Just FYI, Hillbilly is a PROFESSOR OF HISTORY at PUCMM and as such, deals ONLY in facts, not in innuendo from unqualified sources.
What are YOUR history qualifications, other than reading someone else's writings and putting you own interpreation on that writing?
Also, are you associated with any "left-leaning" organizations that might, or have, colored your rhetoric?
And, who is Ted Szluc? Is he a well known, respected writer/reporter who digs up his own stuff, ordoes he depend on theinformation he reports on from second-handed sources.
Personally, I have never heard of him. Who did/does he report the news for; in particular at the time of the occasion in question.
It has always intrigued me that the events of the past are viewed differently as time goes by. We tend to forget the emotions involved at the time these events took place. Enemies become friends and friends become enemies over time and a different "spin" is given to otherwise accepted events.
But, that's what History is about, isn't it?

Texas Bill

First of all, I do not hate America: I LOVE THE U.S.A. If merely pointing out a glaring mistake by DR1 news qualifies as anti-Americanism, then I'm guilty.

Secondly, I know about HB's credentials; I never questioned them. That's not my style; I don't even ask for sources or links. Ironically, I'm questioned in almost every quarter: "Joseito, you don't know THAT!" My usual response depends on the setting, but it goes like this: "Just because you and I are under the same roof at the same time, does not mean I don't know that." The recipients usually don't know what hit 'em. Other folks will wink at me later.

Thirdly, we have access to LBJ papers at UT-Austin and at the LBJ library.

And lastly, T-Bill, I'm a big fan: You are an honorable man.

(Tad Szulc was a great source of info when I was reading about immigration and stuff. He wrote for the NYT during the '65 revolution. He died a few years ago.)

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
I too respect the pinions of Hillbilly and Texas Bill, but as we are all human we can't know everything. I am partial to quoting sources and so here are just two indicating an overwhelming show of force for the size of the DR and the population at the time.

American military operations likewise changed from a relatively simple rescue of endangered Americans by five hundred marines into a preventive intervention of over 23,000 U.S. troops and airmen. This force then rapidly decreased to one-third its original size as U.S. forces became part of an inter-American peace force in the Dominican Republic.*

*MILITARY CRISIS MANAGEMENT
U. S. Intervention in the Dominican Republic, 1965
Herbert G. Schoonmaker
Contributions in Military Studies, Number 95
Greenwood Press New York ? Westport, Connecticut ? London

Military Crisis Management: U.S. Intervention in the Dominican Republic, 1965

The buildup of U.S. forces (eventually 23,000 troops) opened a new chapter in the civil war. The U.S. troops surrounded the constitutionalists and ultimately, as in 1916-1924, occupied the entire country.*

*THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC A Caribbean Crucible
SECOND EDITION
Howard J. Wiarda and Michael J. Kryzanek
Westview Press
BOULDER ? SAN FRANCISCO ? OXFORD

The Dominican Republic: A Caribbean Crucible

May 5, 2007
Better to have more men and equipment than you ultimately need than to have to try and bring more info a rapidly deteriorating situation

remember this was mid 60's, forces could not be deployed as quickly or effectively as today

More force and equipment, just like more cops on a scene usually result in less force used and less injuries

I too respect the pinions of Hillbilly and Texas Bill, but as we are all human we can't know everything. I am partial to quoting sources and so here are just two indicating an overwhelming show of force for the size of the DR and the population at the time.

*MILITARY CRISIS MANAGEMENT
U. S. Intervention in the Dominican Republic, 1965
Herbert G. Schoonmaker
Contributions in Military Studies, Number 95
Greenwood Press New York ? Westport, Connecticut ? London

Military Crisis Management: U.S. Intervention in the Dominican Republic, 1965

*THE DOMINICAN REPUBLIC A Caribbean Crucible
SECOND EDITION
Howard J. Wiarda and Michael J. Kryzanek
Westview Press
BOULDER ? SAN FRANCISCO ? OXFORD

The Dominican Republic: A Caribbean Crucible

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
A bit off topic but the US tried that in Vietnam and well we know the result.:disappoin

The problem in both Vietnam and the intervention in the DR was a hands on, micromanaging psychopath "Landslide" Lyndon Johnson.

History doesn't always repeat itself but it sure does keep rhyming.

A.Hidalgo

Silver
Apr 28, 2006
LBJ had stated he was not going to tolerate another Cuba in his backyard. There was a big difference though, the constitutionalist were trying to restore Juan Bosch back into the presidency, an election he had won in 1963 in what is acknowledged to be the first free election in the country's history. Btw an election he won with over 60% of the votes. Democracy was truncated then and the effects are still being felt today.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The first troops came off of the Boxer, if memory serves. Look, I was farming rice back then, trying to make a living...I met and liked the Special Forces guys in Monte Cristi and La Vega. In Santo Domingo I practiced judo with a Captain onf the 82nd stationed at Molinos Dominicanos. There were no huge contingencies on troops anywhere to be seen...which could well influence my perception of things.

The FIP which replaced the all-US forces had Brazilian, Honduran and many other troops who made fortunes buying at US commissary for the "folks back home" One of the micro-scandals of the time..

I know Howard Wiarda...nice guy...good professor... one of the first to take advantage of "small nation history field" everybody else was doing Argentina, Mexico and Brazil...I think he and Abe Lowenthal were two of the first to really study the DR.

As for the results of the 1965 "war" ....hummmm...not so sure that Bosch and the PRD would have done much...for me, even then, too idealistic...far removed from a reality that was the DR-post-Trujillo....lots of skeletons....

Even at 40+ years, we are too close to events...heck I play (ed) golf with a pair of guys whose brother was killed in the assault on the Presidential Palace....and whose father was one of the big villains of the Trujillo regime....

Maybe in another 20 years or so we can take a less passionate, politicized look at those events...

HB