One way ticket info

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
I have a friend in Canada who wants to come visit me for an extended period of time. He is looking to buy a ticket in the next week or so. He would like to buy a one way ticket as he does not know if he wants to stay for 2 weeks, or a month, or more... He spoke to a travel agent last week who was ready to sell him a one way ticket no questions asked, but another agent somewhere else told him she beleived that if you are not a Dominican Citizen ,you are not allowed to buy a "oneway" flight ticket.

Can anybody give us info on this?...is it just the certain travel agency who does not do this? or if he were to buy a one way ticket thru the first place, would he have problems at DR customs upon arrival?..

Any info would be greatly appreciated,

THanx
Santiagoguy ;)

Mack

Jan 10, 2009
Unless things have changed since December 10, 2008. Your friend will have no problem on arriving in Puerto Plata. My wife and I arrived on one way tickets and will be leaving on one way tickets April 30. We are not Dominican citizens or residents. I think he may find the ticket very expensive after April 30th though.
Mack.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
This has been discussed many times....and the answer seems to be that "YES" - sometimes you will need a return ticket.....and "NO" - sometimes you don't! Either way - DR Customs won't be the ones that will question that one way ticket....it'll be the person checking you in at the airport in Canada. "Technically" - you should have a return ticket, and if you don't - you may be required to purchase a return right then and there before you are allowed to board.

I have purchased many one way tickets - and have been asked a couple times about my return, so it DOES happen....but I have Residency here, so it has never been an issue.

Seems to be the luck of the draw!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Tell him to buy a round ticket with Westjet and if he wants to stay longer he can put the ticket on hold for up to 6 months and change it for a $50 penalty fee plus whatever the difference is for the return ticket price, if the return ticket price is more money.

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
Westjet has a sale right now, from various Canadian cities to POP and Punta Cana.

For example departing April 29 or May 1 (Toronto - Punta Cana). $69. CAD
I don't know if he has to buy a return ticket. I don't think so.

WestJet - Low air fares and the best service across North America and to the Caribbean

Departing: Wed, Apr 29, 2009
Airfare / Guest
Seat Sale Fare
$69.00 CAD

$166.13 CAD with tax

If you have to have Return.

Travel Itinerary
Toronto(YYZ) to Punta Cana(PUJ)
Toronto(YYZ) to Punta Cana(PUJ)
11:15
Depart:
Toronto (YYZ)
15:27
Arrive:
Punta Cana (PUJ)
Returning: Sat, May 16, 2009
Punta Cana(PUJ) to Toronto(YYZ)
Punta Cana(PUJ) to Toronto(YYZ)
14:45
Depart:
Punta Cana (PUJ)
19:17
Arrive:
Toronto (YYZ)
Price Summary
Airfare / Guest
Seat Sale Fare
$69.00 CAD
Taxes, Fees & Surcharges /
Guest (details)
$97.13 CAD
Guest (details)
$97.13 CAD
Nav-Ins
$7.50 CAD
US-Intl Taxes and Fees
$51.63 CAD
GST-HST
$1.00 CAD
AIF
$20.00 CAD
ATSC
$17.00 CAD
Subtotal / Guest
$166.13 CAD
Multiplied by 1 Guest
$166.13 CAD
Returning: Sat, May 16, 2009
Airfare / Guest
Regular Fare
$639.00 CAD
Guest (details)
$71.63 CAD
Guest (details)
$71.63 CAD
Nav-Ins
$7.50 CAD
US-Intl Taxes and Fees
$64.13 CAD
Subtotal / Guest
$710.63 CAD
Multiplied by 1 Guest
$710.63 CAD
Total Cost of Flight
$876.76 CAD

Last edited:

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
May 3rd is the last day WestJet flies to Puerto Plata. But they continue to fly to Punta Cana into the summer. If someone knows why they aren't flying to PP let us know, they flew to PP to August 31st last year and this is a big pain in the you know where!

I buy one ways from WestJet and have never had a problem, from Toronto to PP or PP to Toronto online.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
May 3rd is the last day WestJet flies to Puerto Plata. But they continue to fly to Punta Cana into the summer. If someone knows why they aren't flying to PP let us know, they flew to PP to August 31st last year and this is a big pain in the you know where!

I buy one ways from WestJet and have never had a problem, from Toronto to PP or PP to Toronto online.

Yes I flew back to Toronto in June of last year.
That is a 4 month difference, a big difference and not a good sign.
I guess there is less of a demand?