beisbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
are the local ball clubs playing baseball in May around the North Coast. Would love to catch a game or two ...

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
There's no pro ball untill October and the closest stadium is Santiago. There are many fields throughout Puerto Plata, Sosua, and Cabarete with league and pickup games year-round from kids to semi-pros

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Yeah, the best place to catch Dominicans playing baseball is, well... the Carolinas. No kidding - you'll typically find at least 5 to 6 players on each minor league team. I'm a Charleston River Dogs fan myself.

Carolina Guy

Feb 26, 2009
thx fellas and, yes, I do follow the Bulls and the Mud Cats around here. was hoping to get the whole experience while in the DR, though.

ckummer

Apr 28, 2009
so is it possible for a tourist to get in on a pick up game? I'm thinking of bringing my glove...

spasticnapjerk

Dec 4, 2007
ckummer, it is entirely possible that you could find a pickup game pretty much anywhere. I saw one on Sosua beach with a bunch of kids, and another in a field while walking through town, another couple of kids were playing catch. One of them couldn't have been 10 years old, his buddy threw a fly ball to him and he caught it on a bounce and made a great throw! Real strong. Don't bother bringing a glove; none of these kids used them. They might let a tourist join them just to get a laugh.

A couple of nights ago, at the school diamond over by the Casa Marina, I saw a men's fast-pitch softball game. It looked like a "work" league. They all knew each other and were talking a lot of smack! One guy hit one that dropped into rf and by the time I took my eye off the ball, the guy was almost to second...he was really freaking fast!

The next guy cranked one high down the lf line...it looked like it was going to curve out but it was straight as an arrow, all the way back to the fence. I mean that mf was gone, but the lf was there for the play. He made a great catch and an awesome cutoff to the ss who made a very fast throw to the plate but it was high. Speedy was already home and the play was so close I could hardly tell. He looked safe, but I couldn't tell what the ump did because I don't know spanish, and it happened too fast! Very dramatic.

Anyway, these guys were obviously great players, they looked like guys you might play with in a work league in the US that played baseball in college. It was a hoot until the rain forced me away.

So yes, there's good baseball in the DR, and it doesn't matter what league is playing!

Big Dan

Feb 14, 2009
I have also watched the fast pitch games, typically early evening games. Wicked fun to watch, but no better or worse than any other B or C league softball team in the U.S.

The nights I watched the guys told me they were B league, but A leaguers came into town too. I forget which nights though.

Status
Not open for further replies.