Is there a time limit....?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
You know I really shouldn't start this thread because I already have a feeling I know where this is going to get me, but in any case here goes. Yesterday I started a thread, and it wasn't really a serious thread, because at the time I wasn't in a real serious frame of mind. It was a thread about wearing shorts and why the big deal? Again it wasn't a real serious topic, but something I had noticed mentioned in quite a few postings. I kind of knew what the answers would be, but I was curious none the less.

However I actually was surprised at the amount of responses it got, and in such a short amount of time. Some of the responses actually surprised me, in how virulent and hostile they were in regards to the question that I posed. I posed the question light heartedly and I guess I was naive in expecting the majority of the responses would be in a similar vein. God was I wrong. It was like by asking that question I had personally insulted everybody or maybe directly responsible for the Lindbergh baby kidnapping.

The problem I have is that since some of the responses were so insulting and aimed directly at me, the original poster; I would have liked to have been given a chance to respond, directly. Even one of the moderators commented in a negative fashion supposedly to a subsequent post that the moderator thought I had posted in response to somebody. Another poster correctly indicated that I in fact hadn't yet posted since the original thread starter post. Unfortunately I hadn't gotten a chance to look at the thread since the original post. By the time I did get a chance to look at it, and wanted to respond; I was surprised that it had already been closed. Therefore not allowing me the privilege to respond.

Let's see I originally posted at 9:13 pm yesterday, the thread was closed at 11:21 am today or about 14 hrs. later. Just curious is that the normal length of a thread being open. Or was I or that particular thread singled out for a reason. Sorry I didn't get back to the site quicker to check on the responses, but I did want to get some sleep last night, get up have something to eat, shower and take a walk and do a few other things in my life. My bad, for not checking back with the thread until 6:00 pm today.

Alright I am done with my question, let the slings and arrows and insults begin.;) By the way I will try to be a little more vigilant in monitoring this post, so that when the anticipated insults coming flying in, I at least can respond:paranoid:.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
You can see how long all threads have been open as each post is date tagged.
The less fatuous threads stay open for months or more.
It also helps if your thread is not IDENTICAL to another thread.

My record for having a thread closed was 45 mins - but it was gratuitously offensive ;)

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
thanks

45 minutes huh, I guess I have nothing to complain about. It is just that is someone is taking shots, I would at least like the opportunity to respond, but hey it is what it is.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Yayow:

Have you considered sending a PM to the moderator that closed the thread, to "re-open" the thread so you can 'splain yourself?

tambo'

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Closed

Most of us have had threads closed. Its no big deal. It is at the discretion of the Moderator. Maybe the thread ended up go off topic, and that is why it was closed. Give the Moderator some credit for believing it became unproductive.

If you are hell bent on a subject, re-post.

I happened to like your post, although I have seen the subject before.

TOOBER

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
thanks but....

Thank you for your suggestion, I hadn't considered that option of sending a pm to the moderator that closed it. I will make sure to remember that option in the future, but to be honest with you I have already gotten over it (mostly ;)), I have now expressed myself in this new thread and this was sufficiently cathartic, and I am moving on.

Thanks again,

Yayow

Last edited:

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
???

I think your posts are thoughtful, you seem like a "switched on" person, what is with the retarded handle?

I may be wrong in thinking your handle is a slang term for a narcotic: if so ...

Please, re-invent yourself and return. You have alot to contribute. ;)

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I don't know what the big fuss is all about? The people who wear shorts all year round live in resort areas. so where is the problem there? You can live there 7 yrs or 70 yrs. You are ok there. The majority of the people who live in the real DR were suggesting that when you do try to venture into the real DR, please understand that you are not on the beach any more. This is not the dress code for this environment. No one dresses like this and no one is uncomfortable in pants here. I wear pants all year round and it doesn't effect me at all.I am happy and comfortable in this form of dress code. I do not melt and I do not feel I am uncomfortable. Luckly almost all the people in santiago feel the same way. So it makes me wonder if we are talking about the same country here.
So the argument is simple: if you live in the beach resort area, then by all means dress as if you are about to jump into a pool.Now if you do decide to come to santiago or SD (for some arcane reason) please understand, people do not dress the way you feel everyone should be dressing in the caribbean. We do not have the urge to hang out in shorts and smoke a cigar in public.
Thanks and have a happy new year.
AZB

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
what is with the retarded handle?

I may be wrong in thinking your handle is a slang term for a narcotic: if so ...

Well the retarded handle, first off as I stated previously I am retired Law Enforcement from the states so has nothing to do with narcotics, although I was asked that once before, the person thought it was a reference to the Al Pacino movie where he played the Cuban drug lord from Miami, "Scarface", in the film they refer to drugs as yaya or something like that.

Actually it is just a part of my email address, with yahoo. One night when I was making that particular account on yahoo. I had tried more different names and combinations then I care to remember. Finally I just got tired of being told that the handle was already in use, and just put some letters together. I started with the "Ya" because it was yahoo and that started with ya. Finally I started using it and people would ask me about it, and then some started referring to me by my yahoo handle, and it has kind of stuck.

Now I am use to it, and it is easy for me to remember; because I have had it for awhile it has become a part of me. So since I belong to different things online sites, I tend to use it, and don't have to try and remember a hundred of different handles, and plus I have never met another yayow. So when I meet somebody and say hi I am Yayow, they know exactly who I am. Maybe I am a little vain, but I like that.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
I don't know what the big fuss is all about? The people who wear shorts all year round live in resort areas. so where is the problem there? You can live there 7 yrs or 70 yrs. You are ok there. The majority of the people who live in the real DR were suggesting that when you do try to venture into the real DR, please understand that you are not on the beach any more. This is not the dress code for this environment. No one dresses like this and no one is uncomfortable in pants here. I wear pants all year round and it doesn't effect me at all.I am happy and comfortable in this form of dress code. I do not melt and I do not feel I am uncomfortable. Luckly almost all the people in santiago feel the same way. So it makes me wonder if we are talking about the same country here.
So the argument is simple: if you live in the beach resort area, then by all means dress as if you are about to jump into a pool.Now if you do decide to come to santiago or SD (for some arcane reason) please understand, people do not dress the way you feel everyone should be dressing in the caribbean. We do not have the urge to hang out in shorts and smoke a cigar in public.
Thanks and have a happy new year.
AZB

Thanks for the happy new year wish, don't know if it was meant for me specifically but if it was, I am always grateful when someone wishes me good will.

Again when I made the original post in the other thread it was done light heartedly as I was just making an observation. I have gotten to a point in my life, being retired where something like that doesn't really effect me one way or the other, I go by the motto live and let live. I guess my old profession had taught me not to sweat the small stuff.

It does remind however when I was a teenager, my best friend moved to upstate NY and he on occasion would return downstate to the city, for a visit. The thing that struck me and kind of reminds me of this is that the rest of us would be freezing and would be in our winter garments and he would be walking around in a tee shirt and jeans. To us the weather was cold, but for him compared to what he just left it was quite refreshing. I guess the moral is, ....it depends on your perspective.

I am willing to leave it at that.

And again thank you for your good wishes.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
The majority of the people who live in the real DR were suggesting that when you do try to venture into the real DR AZB

Again AZB I should thank you for pointing out the errors in my way as far as dress code is concerned, I will consider what you have said, as I look at my wardrobe every morning and try to choose what to wear before venturing out into the REAL DR.

I do however happen to think the saying any part of the DR is more real than another part is a little bit presumptuous on your part.

I may not have lived here as long as you, and I certainly and obviously don't know all the niceties that go into living properly in DR, but I would never ever say that one part of DR is real and another part isn't. Is Santiago more real and are the people that live there more real Dominican than people who live in a campo in La Vega or in Rancho Arriba. I don't know but living in a beach town or living in Santo Domingo, somehow I think they both are the "real DR" and the people who live there are real Dominicans, and all the other places of the country in between.

Then again I may be wrong, and I am sure if I am you will educate me.

Thank you in advance. ;)

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
just having fun

By the way I am just having a little fun ;) with you AZB, I hope you have a sense of humor. You are OK in my book, and since I have ventured into the real DR I live in Santo Domingo, I will try and do better.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Understood

Again AZB I should thank you for pointing out the errors in my way as far as dress code is concerned, I will consider what you have said, as I look at my wardrobe every morning and try to choose what to wear before venturing out into the REAL DR.

I do however happen to think the saying any part of the DR is more real than another part is a little bit presumptuous on your part.

I may not have lived here as long as you, and I certainly and obviously don't know all the niceties that go into living properly in DR, but I would never ever say that one part of DR is real and another part isn't. Is Santiago more real and are the people that live there more real Dominican than people who live in a campo in La Vega or in Rancho Arriba. I don't know but living in a beach town or living in Santo Domingo, somehow I think they both are the "real DR" and the people who live there are real Dominicans, and all the other places of the country in between.

Then again I may be wrong, and I am sure if I am you will educate me.

Thank you in advance. ;)

Seems you will be a real asset on DR1.
It gets old quickly but has a strange sense of
attraction I find inexplicable.
Welcome

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Thanks for the welcome

Seems you will be a real asset on DR1.
It gets old quickly but has a strange sense of
attraction I find inexplicable.
Welcome

Well thank you for the welcome tflea, and I am ready to leave this alone, now (unless......), and move onto something else. So without further ado, I will kindly ask the moderator to close this thread, as I believe this horse has been ridden long and far enough.

Plus I don't want to risk someone saying something that I feel I just have to respond to. Kind of like the God father film, "Just when I thought I got out, they keep pulling me back in" or something like that.;)

Last edited:

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
There is a time limit if you begin a thread that has been previously beaten to death(all you had to do was a search on the topic to find out) and it receives the same type of responses.

What then is the use of keeping it open?

Also, is there a need to pontificate ad nauseum about a subject you have stated you do not take all that seriously to begin with?

CLOSED.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.