Travel to DR with very large dog

Susan David

Apr 1, 2008
Does anyone know how I can bring a Rottweiler (120 pouns) to the DR. American Airlines does not take any dog with kennel over 100 pounds. Delta does not take Rottweilers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Don't take such a dog to DR. I have to keep hold of my emotions every time I see my future father in law prep his pit bull against a rotty and the rotty is only ever for preparation fighting!

Rotties are fantastic prep dogs, but not good fighting dogs. will be gone in a second!

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Don't take such a dog to DR. I have to keep hold of my emotions every time I see my future father in law prep his pit bull against a rotty and the rotty is only ever for preparation fighting!

Rotties are fantastic prep dogs, but not good fighting dogs. will be gone in a second!

I don't think that is quite the advice which the OP is seeking. I love Rotties and hate the thought of dog fighting in any shape or form...

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
Mr Freefall Fatty,
could you PM me your address so I can send the authorities round and have your future father in law's malicious ass arrested, please

Unless you were joking in which case Ha, Ha, very funny.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You are going to have a major issue with this. In fact, this is how we got our beloved Yoshi!!! The wonderful Canadian family that raised him (a Tosa Inu-Rottweiler mix) who was raised on the beach. they had to find a good home for him because no airline would transport him to Canada...No cages big enough for him ....Their tearful loss and our most wonderful gain......

I would try and find a good home for the god in the States...

HB

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Does anyone know how I can bring a Rottweiler (120 pouns) to the DR. American Airlines does not take any dog with kennel over 100 pounds. Delta does not take Rottweilers.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thinking back on your comment above, I remember making enquiries for a friend to take their Rottweiler to Colorado with AA. She was well over the 100lbs limit too but we established that it could be achieved via AA Cargo (rather than travelling as checked baggage). However, it didn't happen in the end and she is now safely rehomed here in the DR. I think I am right in saying that the cost was fairly high but it all depends how much you value bringing your dog with you. We brought 5 dogs and 2 cats with us when we moved from UK to DR - cost a fortune but I wouldn't have come without them!

Having said that, there are many, many animals in need of homes here too - I know as I now have 11 dogs and 3 cats!

Last edited:

socuban

Nov 24, 2002
Thinking back on your comment above, I remember making enquiries for a friend to take their Rottweiler to Colorado with AA. She was well over the 100lbs limit too but we established that it could be achieved via AA Cargo (rather than travelling as checked baggage).

That is what I've been told by AA cargo reps. Pet/cage over 100# can travel by cargo. There are parameters that must be met above and beyond checked baggage requirements, i.e. - type of aircraft, capacity controls and of course the elevated cost.

https://www.aacargo.com/shipping/animals.jhtml

Last edited:

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I brought a dog on American which exceeded the 100 lb limit. No body weighed anything.
There are just 2 available slots for kennnels on most AA flights and there is no allowance for you if you or the dog are refused at checkin for weight or space limitations.