New Res. Question.

oriole100

Bronze
Oct 9, 2005
We just got our Per. Res. Card about 4-6 month ago. We want to bring a car in. We want to buy a car in the US and hold it for 2 years before shipping it here. What we don't know is how long we are concidered new res. Do we only have 1 year, 2years or are we good for 3-4 years if we haven't shipped anything here. Thanks for any help.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
We just got our Per. Res. Card about 4-6 month ago. We want to bring a car in. We want to buy a car in the US and hold it for 2 years before shipping it here. What we don't know is how long we are concidered new res. Do we only have 1 year, 2years or are we good for 3-4 years if we haven't shipped anything here. Thanks for any help.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think you have only 6 months after you received your provisional residency to bring your belongings without duty or reduced duty.
It seems that you run out of time .
To apply for "mudanza" you have to live outside of the DR for at least 2 years.
Even if you would be able to do it, I would suggest not to. You won't save anything. I did it in August, I wouldn't do it again.
If you need more info PM me.

The Hun

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
You do have only 6 months after provisional residency to bring in your car. If you are bringing a container it all has to be at one time. My understanding is ther car has to be between 2 and 5 years old and you do need to have owned it for two years.

We did ship a car (too late for the tax break). It was expensive and not sure i would do it again. However i do like having my vehicle here.

Bob K