Citronela

D

D.D.

Does anyone know if citronela seedlings (plants) are available in the DR? I understand it is an excellent mosquito repellent in a very natural way. I am not interested in the processed citronela like spray, candle e.t.c. I need the plants

D

Drake

I can get you Citronela plants or roots. Like the Patchuli which it is similiar to, that Sandra was looking for(see earlier post). Citronela is a grass type plant and is usually reproduced by splitting up the tuffs. I've never seen seeds on the plants. Citronela is mostly used here for making tea because of its lemony flavor.

Have you heard of a tree called Nin. It's seeds can also be used to make natural repellents.

D

D.D.

Thanks, What a cool dude !!

Hi Drake,

Thank You for your generous offer. I would very much like to get some citronela plants. Where do you live? how can I get in touch with you? Please contact me via my e-mail or the board. I would really appreciate your help.

Yes, I know of the Nim trees. In fact, I have planted over 300,000 trees at our farm. That is the largest nim plantation in the country. We use them as wind breakers. However, as a tree it doesn't have any insect repellent value. Oil extracted from dried Nim seeds is used as organic insecticide.

Regards,

D.D.

H

hlywud

Citonella plants are grown in Canada, in greenhouses and transplanted in our gardens to keep away the mosquitoes. Try an email inquiry to lois@veseys.com to see if Vesey Seed Company can send you either some seeds or nursery plants, they are Canada Department of Agriculture approved and can likely be shipped to the DR.

J

John

hlywud,will they survive the winter and come up again in the spring or will you have to replant.

H

hlywud

from www.botany.com/cymbopogon.html

DESCRIPTION: C. citratus is a tender, ornamental grass that has a fragrance resembling the scent of lemons. It grows in clumps from 4 to 6 feet high and has slender leaves and grass-like flowers in terminal spikes or racemes. Lemongrass belongs to the Grass family, Gramineae and is native of India. The related C. nardus is the source of citronella, a popular, old-fashioned insect repellent.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

POTTING: These plants should be planted in a sunny position in moist soil. These plants will tolerate a wide range of conditions. In the North, plant them in containers filled with loam, leaf mold and sand and set in a sunny corner protected from cold winds. Bring them inside during the winter. Cut off the outer leaves at the base as needed. Use them fresh, or dry in a dark room to preserve the green color. The lower sections of the stalks are peeled, chopped fine, and pounded to release their flavor for stir frying and fish or poultry sauces. The fibrous leaf blades are used to flavor fish stocks and curries and are removed before serving.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PROPAGATION: Buy started plants or divide old clumps and plant when the weather is safe.

VARIETIES: C. citratus (Lemon Grass); C. Nardus (the Citronella Grass).

H

hlywud

Sources

Wholesale Nursery Growers Providing:
Citrosa sinensis - Mosquito Plant
Wholesale Nurseries To The Trade Only.

Doug Young Nursery
Forest Hill, LA - 318/748-6787

Little John's Plant Farm
Emory, TX - 903/473-2344

Triumph Plant Company
New City, NY - 914-634-5060

Windmill Farms Nursery
Zolfo Springs, FL - 863-735-0904

Prairie Wind Growers - Noble, OK - 405-872-9010

Wholesale Nurserys To The Industry Only

H

hlywud

Many botanical varieties

Last POST on this issue

too many different varieties of the citronella a.k.a. mosquito plant to follow up on. I'll just buy a couple each year at nursery and smell the aroma around patio, research says only the crushed oil will repel the bugs, but it sure has nice green foliage and aroma, but smoking a good DR cigar will also keep the bugs away from the patio.

Good luck at getting plants or seeds.