How long can i stay here?

Santiagoguy

Apr 21, 2009
Hello,

I have a cpl questions that hopefully someone can help me with.
Im a Canadian living in DR. I came here in January, not my first time but longest stay. I am currently renting a house with my gf and cousin and his gf.
When I first arrived, I did not plan on staying more than a month-2 months MAX.As far as I know, I can only stay for 6 months at a time as I am not a resident. I plan on getting my residency as soon as possible BUT, I have a MINOR criminal record in Canada and am waiting on a pardon in Canada so I can get a letter of good behaviour from my local police department. My record is very inor and from when I was a young adult and have paid for the pardon in Canada and was told that it takes close to a year to get, but that I wont have a problem as my rcord is very old and minor like I said.

So my question is, what happens if I overstay my 6 months?
I found this on a site that says that you pay fees when you leave at the airport depending on how long you've been here. But, is that it? you just pay when you leave a fee? Or can I get into some sort of trouble if I were stopped by the police?? OR, MOST IMPORTANTLY, can I be banned from re-entering when I go back to Canada??

these are the fee prices I found online depending on the length of stay :

VENTANILLA DE EXTRANJERIA
TIEMPO TARIFA VIGENTE

De 30 d?as a 3 meses
RD $800.00

De 3 meses a 9 meses
RD $1,000.00

De 9 meses a 1 a?o
RD $2,500.00

De 1 a?o a 1 a?o y 6 meses
RD $4,000.00

De 1 a?o y 6 meses a 2 a?os
RD $5,000.00

De 2 a?os a 2 a?os y 6 meses
RD $6,500.00

De 2 a?os y 6 meses a 3 a?os
RD $9,000.00

De 3 a?os a 5 a?os
RD $14,000.00

De 5 a?os en adelante
RD $17,000.00

I'ld really like to find out what I have to do in order to not jeopardize everything I've started here (bought furniture,house, made friends etc..).I'ld like to stay for more time but I do HAVE to leave in 6 months? or is there ways around that? Can I just stay quiet n pay at the airport? or do I have to go somewhere n inform someone that I am staying? I want to go about doing this LEGALLY as to not jepardize my return when I do go back to Canada for wtv reason.

thanks alot!!

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009

just pay the fee .i stayed 4 months and paid 500 pesos...but they changed the prices now ..

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009

dont stay for longer then 6 or 6 and a half months is my suggestion..u can lose ur healthcard after 222days if u dont ask to keep it valid by sending a letter or something ...