deported

Status
Not open for further replies.

samswifey4eva

Apr 26, 2009
my boyfriend is getting deported back to dominican republic, i was just wondering if anybody knows what the process is when you get deported. do they release you at the airport or do they go to jail in d.r. i was wondering if i can do anything to help him. also what kind of job can he get over there when he gets deported.. please help

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
As far as I know, on arrival in the country they get processed by the authorities and handed over to family members unless there are charges pending against them in the DR, in that case they remain in custody of the DR police.

Here is some information that may be of use, which I dug up the other day in response to a PM:

An organisation working with deportees called the Bienvenid@ Seas Foundation:

From the DR1.com news archives - 2006

The foundation was created to assist over 35,000 Dominicans who have returned after being deported from overseas over the past 20 years. From 2000 alone, some 15,040 Dominicans have returned as deportees, of these 5,000 in 2005 alone. 95% are deported from the US, and most are men between 25 to 45 years of age. For many, the DR is a foreign land, as many migrated to the US as children and barely speak Spanish.
For more information, see http://www.funglode.org/FunglodeApp/...spx?ListId=478

See also:

http://laopciondigital.com/index.php...patriados.html

http://www.pciudadana.com/articulos_..._juan_diaz.htm

From DR1 news 2007 archive:

Focus on Dominican deportees
A workshop on Dominicans who have been repatriated from the United States sponsored by the UASD University's Faculty of Judicial and Political Sciences and UNIBE University's Center for Research and Social Studies has concluded that deportees are not the main cause of the increase in violence in the country. As reported in Hoy newspaper, more than 35,000 have been obliged to return to the DR in the last year, and of these, only 1% is known to have committed crimes after their return. Another detail is that 30-40% of the deportees have found ways to return to the US for family and work reasons. More than 25% of deportees had lived in the United States for at least 20 years, according to the research.
Researcher Vielka Polanco and the president of the Bienvenido Seas Foundation, Rene Vicioso stated that when deportees arrive in the DR, their rights are violated. Polanco explained that when they arrive they are "fichado" at the Police, which becomes a major obstacle for them in finding work and getting access to education, health and other services. Jose Poche of the National Police told attendees at the workshop that the police is aware of this situation and does not carry out "fichas", but defined it as a registration procedure to help them know the whereabouts of people who are deported from the US.
Statistics show that 77% of people who are repatriated have committed a crime in the US - such as drugs, murder, kidnapping, violence, illegal weapons possession, forgery and traffic accidents. Most deportees are men and 52% have served jail sentences for drug trafficking. However, 19.3% of the people repatriated in 2004 were deported for their illegal status in the US.
Hope this helps!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
call centers

my boyfriend is getting deported back to dominican republic, i was just wondering if anybody knows what the process is when you get deported. do they release you at the airport or do they go to jail in d.r. i was wondering if i can do anything to help him. also what kind of job can he get over there when he gets deported.. please help

call centers are always looking for english speakers, pays normally not that great, 110rd an hour or so. lots to choose from

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Maybe he'll keep on doing what got him deported in the first place...:cheeky:

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
he can?t ge a cedula, so the only job he can get is selling d...

Why can't he get a cedula? Just because he has been deported? After all he hasn't been accused or convicted of any crime committed in DR.

Again people some of you are jumping to conclusions, you have no idea why he is being deported. More than likely he may have committed a crime in the US, doesn't mean he committed a crime in DR, it may also be simply that he entered and/or remained in US illegally. Possibly that may be his only crime. If that is his only crime many ex-pats living here, are guilty of committing a crime as well.

Reactions: ExtremeR

donP

Dec 14, 2008
He'll be back.

_____ i was wondering if i can do anything to help him___

He'll need MONEY, your money.
Many of the deportees have good connections here :cheeky: but yet try to get back to the US asap.
For most of them a 'yola' trip to PR is the only solution.
Successful trips are available, they are expensive, however.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Agreed

Why can't he get a cedula? Just because he has been deported? After all he hasn't been accused or convicted of any crime committed in DR.

Again people some of you are jumping to conclusions, you have no idea why he is being deported. More than likely he may have committed a crime in the US, doesn't mean he committed a crime in DR, it may also be simply that he entered and/or remained in US illegally. Possibly that may be his only crime. If that is his only crime many ex-pats living here, are guilty of committing a crime as well.

If he was deported that means he/she is not a US citizen(may have had green card), therefore he/she is a dominican Citizen, and as such should have or will be able to obtain a cedula. As for being deported, normally is after jail time for a felony conviction. very few deported for overstay(should be more). Not really jumping to a conclusion, but an educated guess, look at the stats from previous plane loads. you dont spend time in rikers por nada.

Reactions: badpiece33

Not jumping to conclusions, noone gets deported from the US for just being in the US illegally!!!! That is a fact. The only way you get deported is for criminal activity plain and simple. I am not speaking out my a$$ because I have many friends who work immigration and they only deport known criminals when they complete their prison term in the US.

Run away from him as fast as possible, He will only be a drain on your bank account from now on and will have other women other than you once he is back home, So run away as fast as possible,change your number and email and get on with your life. You can't save him but you can still save yourself.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Ddddd

Run away from him as fast as possible

Well, could he not be seen as a DDD ? :cheeky:
And as he is a deportee another D might be appropriate.
And as 80% of the deportees did time for drugs, it's not too far a shot that we're dealing with a DDDDD. ;)

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Not jumping to conclusions, noone gets deported from the US for just being in the US illegally!!!! That is a fact. The only way you get deported is for criminal activity plain and simple. I am not speaking out my a$$ because I have many friends who work immigration and they only deport known criminals when they complete their prison term in the US.

If this is true, then there have been some changes in Immigration in the last few years. About twenty years ago, I knew a Filipino doctor who had overstayed his visa. INS picked him up, put him into detention and eventually deported him. His (Filipino) wife and child were allowed to remain in the US.

There were no criminal charges involved because once he returned to the Philippines and waited two years, he was able to apply for a green card, had it granted and returned to the US.

Perhaps it had something to do with the type of visa he had originally, but he WAS deported and it was NOT for criminal activity.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
Holier than thou....attitues??

I continue to be amazed how a great portion of the community here continues to make judgments about things that they have no idea about, and then spew them as if they were gospel. The original poster had some concerns and wanted some information and help that is all, why does so many believe that they have a right to assume anything about why this person was deported. Do you know??

Now granted are the odds higher that it had something to do with a criminal act yes they are, but that doesn't mean that is the reason.

Also last time I looked even if it was a criminal act, after he has paid his debt to society isn't he allowed to live his life without prejudice, or am I mistaken about this too? Yes I am aware of statistics regarding recidivism and criminal acts and actors, I spent 22 years of my life in law enforcement so I may no more about it than many of you jumping to conclusions. Luckily because of my prior line of employment, I have learned often times things aren't what they appear to be at first glance, and you need to investigate before leaping to conclusions.

One more thing prior to being concerned about every body else's house make sure your own is clean.

This is just my opinion, and I am sure many of you would prefer that I keep it to myself, but just like you I have a right to express it.

La Verdad

Jan 4, 2009
I continue to be amazed how a great portion of the community here continues to make judgments about things that they have no idea about, and then spew them as if they were gospel.

WHO are you addressing?

I believe Badpiece33 is LE as well, and seems to be knowledgeable.

After reading a few of your rants, you seem to really dislike everybody on DR1, yet you keep coming back?

Perhaps you could switch to decaf and handle different opinions, or even have a civilized conversation here instead of screaming.

It looks like we hit a nerve here, why were you deported from the USA?

L V

Last edited:

AlaninDR

Mr. Chunky Skin
Dec 17, 2002
The simple fact is he wore out his welcome for whatever reason in the USA and the govt doesn't want him there anymore. He was there at the pleasure and acceptance of the govt and they've changed their mind so he has to go. He was a guest only.

Reactions: badpiece33

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
WHO are you addressing?

I believe Badpiece33 is LE as well.

After reading a few of your rants, you seem to really dislike everybody on DR1, yet you keep coming back?

Perhaps you could switch to decaf and handle different opinions, or even have a civilized conversation here instead of screaming.
L V

There you go assuming again, I don't recall ever saying I disliked anybody, or did I?

But when I read people making judgments about somebody, without having anything to back that up, I feel it should be addressed, just as vehemently as the judgments that were made. Again if there was only one or two I probably wouldn't have voiced an opinion, but after reading so many in a similar vein I thought it would be good if some people looked at things from a different perspective.

I don't drink coffee, but thanks for the concern, and what I am doing is voicing a different opinion, maybe you should be able to take them as well.

Sorry that everyone in the world doesn't think exactly the same way.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
L V

I keep coming back because I live in the community, and I see a great deal of value in the forum and site in general, but if I read something I disagree with am I supposed to not express my opinion about it.

As far as rants go, you are probably right and I do rant on occasion so I apologize as far as that is concerned, I shouldn't have used bold type, and I will try to watch that in the future, but I used it because those were the specific things I wanted to address.

Yayow

Sep 4, 2007
WHO are you addressing?

It looks like we hit a nerve here, why were you deported from the USA?

L V

Who was I addressing nobody in particular, however I assume you were addressing me in particular with the comment about me being deported from the USA.

If someone has a different opinion that means they are worthy of being deported or of bad character? If you have read some of my other posts, as you say you have; I have addressed why I live in the DR, I guess I could ask you the same, why do you? were you deported?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.