A Question for ECH M.D

S

Sonny

Hello Doctor,maybe you can answer this for me? an elderly aunt of my wifes in Samana has cataracts and it is getting so bad that she has to feel her way through the house just to do day to day things.My question is this,is the average Dominican covered by some sort of medical that would cover an operation such this or would this be something that she would have to take care of herself?
My other question is this,would you know what types of costs are involved in such an operation as cataracts? Thanks in advance.

Sonny

E

ECH, M.D.

It is sort of like the different Insurance programs in the USA. Some cover quite a lot and others only the basics. I do know they have a very fine Public/Private Ophthalmology Clinic associated with INDEN (The National Diabetic Hospital located in Santo Domingo) I am also sure that what is not covered by insurance will be subsidized by the government. I urge her to get corrective surgery before it is too late and if she is a candidate for surgery. This is usually done under local type anesthesia.
I am sorry I do not know costs involved. If I can be of further help, just ask.
CHEERS

ECH

S

Sonny

Thanks for your reply I will check into it when I get back to Samana and take her there myself.

Thanks

Sonny