Codetel DNS Numbers

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Anybody have the latest and greatest? Seems mine have gone to cybercrap and I get tons of DNS errors and the speed at night drops 80+%...:tired:

Thanks in Advance...

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I would recommend OpenDNS: 208.67.222.222 or 208.67.220.220.

Codetel DNS IP's are: 196.3.81.5 and 196.3.81.132.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Okay, bear with me.
As my nick suggests, I am a hillbilly. I can shoot squirrels out of a tree and skin a rabbit likkety-split, but I am--kindly speaking--rather dumb when it comes to messing areound with computers.
Latest issues":
--I went and bought me a new year's worth of McAfee protection but I can't get it to work!
--I am operating without any virus protection until Rocky gets his arse back from Europe, or until I get this figured out.
--What are the advantages of Open DNS??
--How do I get into it??? Can I do it without prejudice. Remember I ain't got no virus protection (and please do not send me one with a "I told you so" note attached...

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Okay, bear with me.
As my nick suggests, I am a hillbilly. I can shoot squirrels out of a tree and skin a rabbit likkety-split, but I am--kindly speaking--rather dumb when it comes to messing areound with computers.
Latest issues":
--I went and bought me a new year's worth of McAfee protection but I can't get it to work!
--I am operating without any virus protection until Rocky gets his arse back from Europe, or until I get this figured out.
--What are the advantages of Open DNS??
--How do I get into it??? Can I do it without prejudice. Remember I ain't got no virus protection (and please do not send me one with a "I told you so" note attached...

HB
Luis, DNS servers translate a www.******.com address you type in or link into a code to connect you the website. They live in your router or modem. They are changeable to give different "routes" to websites.

The Codetel ones can be bad and good. But when bad totally suck. So far the Open DNS #'s work just fine.

Here is a link to Open DNS: OpenDNS | Providing A Safer And Faster Internet

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
HB:

Just use FREE AVG, it's less intrusive than McAfee, and even better it's FREE!

Go to DOWNLOAD . com to obtain it.

You should not be on the WWW bareback.

You will need to remove McAfee in the control panel "add/remove programs" tab, before downloading AVG.

(I will walk you through if needed)

tambo'

A

apostropheman

I agree and also recommend...

HB:

Just use FREE AVG, it's less intrusive than McAfee, and even better it's FREE!

Go to DOWNLOAD . com to obtain it.

You should not be on the WWW bareback.

You will need to remove McAfee in the control panel "add/remove programs" tab, before downloading AVG.
Free antivirus - Avira AntiVir as an alternative. It's what I've been using for a long time now and it is not demanding on your system like McAfee or Norton/Symantec are...and it's FREE :D

A

apostropheman

I've used both extensively...

Why is this better than FREE AVG?

I have not caught an STD on my 'puta since using AVG for over 5 years.

IS AVIRA better than AVG, or it's just the one you use?
...but now prefer Avira although AVG was always very good to me...so personal preference is all.

reference sites:

http://freebies.about.com/od/securityfreebies/tp/best-antivirus.htm

http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-anti-virus-software.htm

http://www.techmixer.com/best-free-antivirus-software-download-list/

Last edited:

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
Lately Symantec has a newer product that it isn't as demanding as the older Norton Products (man those were hogs), in fact I am using Symantec Endpoint Protection right now and I don't notice it is there, the memory footprint is only 17 MB and in only slowdown a little bit when it starts with it scheduled disk scanning. Although the free products like AVG and Avira should do the trick.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005

"AntiVir does not include e-mail scanning, this is only available in the paid version. The lack of an e-mail scanner means that AntiVir won't warn you of infected emails before you open them."

Thanks Apos, I 'll pass based on this one reason alone.
I do not exclusively use internet based mail, and must scan my mail.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
I have just changed my dns values in my modem to the open DNS values. I see no noticeable difference. I am going back to my automatically assigned codetel values in my speed stream 4200 modem. Thanks
AZB