Lucerna, i need some informations

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Hello,

I'm french, I'll move to Santo Domingo in July, I need informations about the neighborhood Lucerna (Santo Domingo Este), in a first time i will rent a home.

- Lucerna is a neighborhood of which type?
- How many hours of electricity per day ?
- How many days of water per week ?
- Lucerna is located exactly between which streets ?

I will be happy if you have other informations about Lucerna.

Thank you

Mr. M

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
lucerna, I guess is located in carretera mella, close to Megacentro. in Santo domingo East. it is a medium low to low neighborhood. you may have some blackouts during day, not sure how many hours. maybe 8 or more.
if the house has a cisterna, not problem with water. if not, you are in trouble.
It is not a very safe place for foreigns.
hope you speak enough spanish to live in a barrio.
good luck.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
The main entrace or stree of Urbanizacion Lucerna its located at Kilometro 8 y medio de la carretera Mella, Lucerna its not yet a 24 hour electricity sector but Ede Este is working on making it by this year and Lucerna its NOT a barrio, its just rounded by some barrios but Lucerna was built as a Urbanizacion back in the late 80s early 90s.
I grew up just across from the entrace of Lucerna.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
The thing with Lucerna is that although it is not a barrio, is completely surrounded by barrios, so you may get the services quota assigned to those barrios, just by the location of it. Aside in most places in la Zona Oriental, services kinda sucks.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Some questions again

Thank you for yous answers !

In resume from what you say Lucerna (Google Map Maker) in a medium zone located in the center of "poorest" neighborhood, probably 12-16 hours of electricity by day, some water by week, i need a big water tank!!!, is not sure for foreigns, i'm right ??

I see many beautiful house for rent in lucerna, the prices are ok, for example:

- Alquilo Casa D 2 Niveles En La Urb. Lucerna.
- ALQUILO CASA RECIEN REMODELADA EN LA URB. LUCERNA. - Santo Domingo Este

But it's always the same people that rent this home (809-268-5594 Roberto Ceballos) anybody know this man ?

Which are the good zone in the oriental part ??

Mr. M

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
Hi MpJuly.

For the past several years I lived in a neighborhood very close to Lucerna. It was called Lomisa. Some of other posters are correct. It is a nice area that is surrounded by bad areas. Like an enclave. Very nice houses etc. This part of the city is not at all close to Santo Domingo Proper, I would even say it lays at the outskirts. I left Lomisa maybe 4-5 months ago. At that time it was very common to have electric power for less than 12 hours. In fact I remember many times having only power from 8pm to 6am. Some will disagree with me about this, but I should know as I endured it. Do not expect 24 hour electricity. There have been rumors of improving the electricity in the area, but don't hold your breath.

As stated earlier, water is not a problem if you have a build in water tank. However, when you have no electricty, your house water pump can't pump water through your pipes and into your house. To combat this problem, some people install small gravity operated water tanks (Tinaco) on their roof. When the power goes out and the pump does not work, there is a small reserve of water for use. If your house does not have a Tinaco, you will almost certainly need to install one, unless you don't mind taking baths in the cistern. :ermm:

The worst part about the area is the traffic at the nearby intersection of Carretera Mella and Charles DeGaulle. Absolutely horrific.

As soon as I got the chance I escaped that section of the city and never looked back. I do still prefer the eastern section of the city, just not that section in the north east.

My advise to you is, look elsewhere. I am serious. This neighborhood can push you to your limits.

PM me with any questions. If I can help....... I will.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Western but...

Personally I prefer the west side but the house are a lot more expensive, in 2002 I was living in mirador norte, now I'm looking for a house between Sarasota and Jfk / Luperon and Lincoln

Or in the east side on a good area :paranoid:

Any isea about the possible price by zone for a house 3-4 habitacions, ba?os, sala, comedor, marquisa, jardin etc... a home for foreign :squareeye

Really find home to rent on internet is not easy !!

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com
you wont find a Residencia anymore in those places. Mirador norte, sur, etc still have some small houses, but those are for sell. to be built condos.
there is a lot of condos for rent on those areas.

MpJuly

Apr 30, 2009
Really a problem to find casa in a good area

it's really complicate to find casa for rent in a good area,
in the quadrilateral Sarasota and Jfk / Luperon and Lincoln, house for sell or condo... below sarasota many condo and hotel and the park, above jfk many business, plant and barrios, perhaps some house on arroyo hondo ?? but at what price, at the west of luperon after herrera very poor zone... on the right of Lincoln, naco = condo, gazcue = $$, colonial = BIG $

In santo domingo oriental, i don't really know i never visited this part :)

Last edited: