Moving to DR/Need your help

snapshot

Apr 30, 2009
We are moving to DR from US in May.

I need some local help with choosing the right area for us.

We have a 2 year old, 11 and 13 year old. We live on the beach in Florida now and would like similar there. White sand, near schools and shops, but not too close. Safe area.

Where would you suggest? I could use a lot of help.

Thanks,
Sherry

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Juan Dolio

South Coast - 45 minutes from the capital, 25 from airport.
5 miles from local town - supermarkets, clothes, market, ironmongers
white sandy beaches
as safe as anywhere
few tourists now. Mainly middle/upper class dominicans coming to their condos at weekend
good international school (teaches in english)
2 private clinics

Downside!!!
Still a lot of construction going on so dusty
Very few shops locally. Some colmados, one tourist shop, some restaurants.
Very quiet!!!

pm me for more specific info

matilda

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Punta Cana - B?varo - white sand beaches although beachfront property is a rarity or very expensive, access to two very good international schools. Adequate shopping although things are quite spread out.

holita

Jun 6, 2006
La Romana

I would recommend La Romana. It is a cleaner city with great features, such as a nice beach, close to the capital, and it has just about anything you woudl need. It is one of the safest areas of the country, and it has great American schools. Let me know if you want more info!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Santiago.
Better schools and health care
Better prices
Better class of people all around (the DR1 posters are near exceptions to the general rule--they are for the most part very special folks)
Better shopping
Less traffic than Santo Domingo
Beaches just an hour or so away...
Mountains (beaches can get boring) are less than that.
Airport is 15 minutes away with direct flights to Ft. Lauderdale and MIA and NYC

More bang for the buck in my book...

But rent for 4 or 6 months and get a feel for the place....move around...see for yurself!!

HB

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
We are moving to DR from US in May.

I need some local help with choosing the right area for us.

We have a 2 year old, 11 and 13 year old. We live on the beach in Florida now and would like similar there. White sand, near schools and shops, but not too close. Safe area.

Where would you suggest? I could use a lot of help.

Thanks,
Sherry

Do you have any idea about the region you are interested in?
Do you know the country or are you coming on the basis of a holiday experience on a white sandy beach?
Will you need to generate income locally, if so how do you plan to and / or do you have a solid job offer which may mandate the region you will have to settle close to?

... J-D.