Forum for Spaniards in the DR?

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I've spent 2 hours by now, trying to google a Forum site for Spaniards in the DR.
I would assume that there ought to be plenty of Spaniard residents on this side of the island.
Does anybody know where they meet online?

Thanks! ... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I've spent 2 hours by now, trying to google a Forum site for Spaniards in the DR.
I would assume that there ought to be plenty of Spaniard residents on this side of the island.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Interesting, one would think that one of the largest and historically longest existing communities would have a web presence here relative to their life as expatriate residents.

Even the Swiss have several.
The German have several.
English speakers have several too, among them the largest one... dr1.
The Russians... have at least one.

Y, los Espanoles... na'a? While the Dominicans living in Spain have several!

... J-D.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
Thanks Mrs. Marple.
I found those too... both not really dedicated to Spaniards in the DR only. The bigger one actually is a Dominican cite which also has a sub forum for residents.

Amazing, these Spaniards seem to cybernetically dwell undercover.

Anyway, I posted my question on spaniards.es... maybe somebody there will pop up.

The other one, is more of a Dominican to Dominicans Forum.

Interestingly, Dominicans seem to have a more evident presence on the Internet than Spaniards.

Thanks! ... J-D.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008

Thanks! ... J-D.

I don't think Spaniards need a website that's why it's hard for you to find a Spaniard Expats forum. Spaniards blend in pretty easy in all Latin America not just the DR, they don't have a language barriers and their of spring assimilate in second to the culture :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I too have done research on finding decent Spanish language forums focused on the DR but some aren't visited frequently enough to carry on a conversation (reddominicana) and others aren't interested in intelligent discourse (univision).

Also, I did join an Spanish engineering forum but got ridiculed by some dude who went on and on about my supposed "colloquial" Spanish. While I'm not a native speaker the simple post I posted was correct in grammar and supposed colloquial terms used are to be found in any dictionary. Therefore, maybe these Spanish think they are just better than Dominicans, who knows?

DOMINCAN JOE

Bronze
Aug 15, 2006
Christopher Columbus

Therefore, maybe these Spanish think they are just better than Dominicans, who knows?

Here is a man who know,s send him a E mail
donaldduck.gif

ChristopherColumbus@yhahospain:D

Dominican Republic was reached by Christopher Columbus in 1492

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
I don't think Spaniards need a website that's why it's hard for you to find a Spaniard Expats forum. Spaniards blend in pretty easy in all Latin America not just the DR, they don't have a language barriers and their of spring assimilate in second to the culture :)

... the simple post I posted was correct in grammar and supposed colloquial terms used are to be found in any dictionary. Therefore, maybe these Spanish think they are just better than Dominicans, who knows?

Actually Ezequiel, no, I don't think they really blend in as great as one would like to think in Latin America.
First there is a noticeable difference in language and ways of speaking. Many times, the crude or even rude ways Spaniards tend to speak their language nowadays is perceived as offensive by Latin Americans even those with little educational back ground. Furthermore, Spaniards in Latin America can have quite a little attitude which is often not well received.
In many Latin American countries, while oddly enough not so much in this country, they are still perceived as conquistadores even by the "white" Hispanic part of the local population. Similarly, Spaniards quite often have nothing but contempt for the Latin way of life... which is indeed quite a bit different.

Also, Spain has, for an EU country very little successful e-business. This can mostly be routed back to their highly inefficient Postal "service" and the lack of clearly marked addresses as soon once finds himself outside of the major cities. Can't sell what you can't ship, can you? So e-services have also not blossomed, even when they don't directly depend from the ability to deliver physically.
Yet, Spaniards do chat quite extensively, this is still why I am a bit surprised about the fact that I can't seem to find here.

Thanks! ... J-D.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
interesting statement J.D.,
and thinking it over i would agree.
here in the area are many spaniards, but even with many years and some with decades here they do not that great fit in, at least not all.
they put themselves very separated from the locals, i would not know even one spaniard here who is businesswise associated with a dominican businessman, looks really like their ways are separate ways with not much in common, while expats from many nationalities run partnerships with dominican locals, even as the prefered partners.
you made me really think about the spaniards down here, i know a good bunch of spanish expats over here and most of them are here even longer than myself.
Mike