Bull fights

MBTS

Jan 28, 2009
Most Spanish speaking countries have bull fighting, how about the DR?

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes, there is bullfighting, but only in El Seibo and possibly also other towns in the east.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yes there is, there is even a bull ring there and they have annual corridas in May. So there!

YouTube - Corridas de toros en el seibo

Even Wikipedia agrees ;) with charming turn of phrase.
Santa Cruz de El Seibo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
El Seibo, which venerates Saint Cruz with great fervor, have celebrations to honour this saint from 1 May to 10 May. It is the only city in the country that in its supervisory celebrations organizes bullfights.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/nathanmills/2475380522/

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
There is no Spanish or Mexican style bullfight here. What you mean is the "Corrida de Toros". The Bulls are driven through town, thats all.
I have watched a several times with my kids.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
- did you click on any of those links?

Yes, I did click the links and I have seen this life. The difference to the classical Spanish Bullfight is that they don't tease or torture the animal with sticks in the back and they don't kill it with a sword at the end either.

If you call this bullfight, yes, then there are bullfights.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Well, I have no real bull in this fight, to coin a phrase, but IMO that can only be a good thing. :) What happens in El Seibo is certainly more of a symbolic bullfight than the classical Spanish fight, but it does take place in a bullring and is definitely more than just a bull being run through the streets of the town.

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Some Bull Fight

A Taxi driver friend of mine had a bull fight the other night with 2 bulls, the bulls are dead and his taxi is a wreck.