married to a DomYorker...

Jun 15, 2008
hi all!

ok, my question is:

do i still qualify for Dominican residency/citizenship if my husband is a Dominican by nationality but has become a US citizen? he doesn't have a cedula, only his DR birth certificate.

thanx in advance!

Jun 15, 2008
Residency yes, as long as YOU fulfill all requirements.
Citizenship will have its own requirements.

Do a forum search.

thanks, been doing that for a looong while now.. :)

haven't found a case like mines though so far...

my spesific question is about the part in the immigration law where it says that a foreign woman married to a dominican is entiteled to dominican citizenship (even though i guess i'd prefer residency instead, cuz european passport is a lot more useful in the long run...but i don't know yet, maybe - what the heck! - i could just become a dominican :) )

so does THAT still apply in case of my husband?

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Jun 15, 2008

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
be sure to investigate your country's procedures first - some countries will neg. your citizenship if you become a citizen of another country while others will allow you dual citizenship.
sometimes citizenship in the DR with also neg. all of your benefits of the consulate/embassy of your home country if anything happens.

Jun 15, 2008
Fron the Dominican point of view, Dual Citizenship is allowed, meaning there would be no need to give up your other passport. My wife has both a Dominican Passport and a Canadian one.

yea, well... unfortunately my country (Latvia) does not allow dual citizenship... but since i've decided to dedicate my whole life to this side of the ocean, i think i would actually be better off as a dominican citizen

Jun 15, 2008
sometimes citizenship in the DR with also neg. all of your benefits of the consulate/embassy of your home country if anything happens.

that wouldn't really change anything for me, cuz the only consulate/embassy of Latvia in the Americas is in Washington... which is quite unreachable from here anyways :)

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
but i guess the passport of Latvia is very widely accepted on the globe, like i.e. travelling to the US on a simple visitors visa without the need to request a visa prior to travel, right?
with a dominican passport without a american greencard you would need a visa like every dominican citizen to enter the states and visit your new york husband.
Mike

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Total Submersion

yea, ___ but since i've decided to dedicate my whole life to this side of the ocean, i think i would actually be better off as a dominican citizen

Very consistent, as you "love the Dominican people and the culture".

How will your little daughter be affected by your choice? :cross-eye

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
Very consistent, as you "love the Dominican people and the culture".

How will your little daughter be affected by your choice? :cross-eye

very important question, yeap.
the mother can get her residency easily anyways, maybe one day the other citizenship could be of a help for the young crowd.
Mike

Jun 15, 2008
very important question, yeap.
the mother can get her residency easily anyways, maybe one day the other citizenship could be of a help for the young crowd.
Mike

i've thought of that too, of course

and it's all been taken care of - my daughter is a US citizen (born in NY) and also Latvian citizen (i succesfully took care of that...). she has both passports. Latvia allows dual citizenship for minors, she will just have to choose which citizenship she wants to keep when she turns 18. and by then she'll be mature enough to make that kind of a desicion. it will be up to her. far as DR goes, i will just make her a resident, if at all...

does that sound reasonable enough?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I keep meaning to find out if the US allows triple citizenship. I'm American married to a Dominican who has dual Dominican/US citizenship for 32 years, and I never gave much thought to getting Dominican citizenship, although it seems it would be an easy process. Now we're planning on retiring to DR so it's probably time to get it - or maybe better off with just residency. I'm applying for my Italian citizenship/passport now, not that I plan to ever live there, but our son wants his Italian citizenship and I'm the only way he can get it. I doubt I can carry 3 passports, so I may just go with the Italian one, because our son can always get his Dominican passport if he wants it, through my husband.

Is there any benefit to having Dominican citizenship as opposed to Dominican residency?

Opinions welcome!

MikeFisher

Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
right,
throu his father the son will not have a problem to get the dominican citizenship when needed/wanted.
for you, to be a citizen with an additional passport or just to be a resident with your US and European Union passport i would say the dominican passport as a thrid passport(if allowed, i have no clue if the involved countries allow or not to have 3 passports) will not bring additional advances. but if the US and Europe allow that tripple passport there would not be a negative to have it neither.
Mike

Jun 15, 2008
I keep meaning to find out if the US allows triple citizenship. I'm American married to a Dominican who has dual Dominican/US citizenship for 32 years, and I never gave much thought to getting Dominican citizenship, although it seems it would be an easy process. Now we're planning on retiring to DR so it's probably time to get it - or maybe better off with just residency. I'm applying for my Italian citizenship/passport now, not that I plan to ever live there, but our son wants his Italian citizenship and I'm the only way he can get it. I doubt I can carry 3 passports, so I may just go with the Italian one, because our son can always get his Dominican passport if he wants it, through my husband.

Is there any benefit to having Dominican citizenship as opposed to Dominican residency?

Opinions welcome!

far as i know, when a country allows "dual" citizenship, it basically means that if you qualify for citizenship of that spesific country, they just don't care/check if you're some other country's citizen. that's what i was told when i made my daughter a citizen of Latvia. so basically you CAN have more than two citizenships.