Help bring Rocky home!!

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
As most of us know....Rocky's "yacht" arrives in the UK early Sunday morning! He's bummed out about having to leave the cushy surroundings of the ship and the great food he's been enjoying - but it can't last forever! He'll be heading to Marrakech via Gatwick airport late afternoon on Sunday. We have figured out how to get him from Harwich Port to Gatwick....at least I THINK we have! :ermm:

So here's the thing.....this Canadian chick has been put in charge of getting our beloved Rocky back to warmer weather! :paranoid: Since I don't have a hot clue how to get here (POP) from there....I don't have any idea where to even start looking for flights for him!!

Can he fly from Morocco to here? Will he have to fly back to the UK first?

Any help is greatly appreciated! Airlines, websites, suggestions, charters, direct flights, multiple stops...it doesn't matter!

The camels thank you in advance! ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Tamborista

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Can he fly from Morocco to here? Will he have to fly back to the UK first?
Is he flying to Marrakesh on a SINGLE ticket? Maybe they will not allow one way tickets? Check this before spending a lot of time searching airlines Morocco to anywhere!

Any help is greatly appreciated! Airlines, websites, suggestions, charters, direct flights, multiple stops...it doesn't matter!
If the answer is that he has a one way IN to Morocco, the Google Flights Dominican Republic to Morocco & see what (if anything) you get. If nothing, Google Flights Dominican Republic to (seperately) France/Italy/Belgium/Malaga/Madrid. Once you know who flies to which of the aforementioned you can do a Google on Marrakesh or Morocco to each of those countries/cities & see which is best match for getting the 'Old Man' (as by then he WILL be) back to the loving arms of 'HIS' people here!

The camels thank you in advance! ;)
Is that ONE hump or two M'Lady??? ~ Grahame. :cheeky: :ermm: :surprised

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
It will depend upon his actual return date, but I did a search and found that the simplest routing is Marrakech to Casablanca, Casablanca to Frankfurt, Frankfurt to Miami and then Miami to STI or SDQ. Flying into Santo Domingo is about $100.00 US cheaper, but might not be worth the hassle.

Price for this flight, depending on the date, is around US $1,500.

ITA Software: Login

You could also try Cheap Flights, Airline Tickets, Cheap Airfare & Discount Travel Deals - Kayak.com because the ITA website does not have the facility for actual purchase, while Kayak can transfer the purchaser to a website that does.

ETA: An example

Royal Air Maroc Flight AT404 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class
Departs Marrakech, Morocco (RAK) Mon, May 18 1:20p 40 min
Arrives Casablanca, Morocco (CMN) 2:00p
Layover in Casablanca 11 hrs 10 min

Lufthansa Airlines Flight LH4117 on an Airbus A321 (jet) in coach class (breakfast)
Departs Casablanca, Morocco (CMN) Tue, May 19 1:10a 3 hrs 25 min
Arrives Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) 6:35a
Layover in Frankfurt 3 hrs 20 min

United Airlines Flight UA8849 on a Boeing 747 (jet) in coach class (operated by Lufthansa Airlines as Flight LH462) (meal, snack)
Departs Frankfurt, Germany (FRA) Tue, May 19 9:55a 9 hrs 45 min
Arrives Miami, FL (MIA) 1:40p
Layover in Miami 5 hrs 5 min

American Airlines Flight AA749 on a Boeing 737 (jet) in coach class (food for purchase)
Departs Miami, FL (MIA) Tue, May 19 6:45p 2 hrs 0 min
Arrives Santiago, Dominican Republic (STI)

Last edited:

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I emailed him detailed instructions on how to go Harwich-Liverpool St.-Victoria-LGW a while back.

He can fly Morocco to here, but it'll be multiple changes and very expensive: for example on say 14 May he can go Marrakesh-Madrid on Iberia ( 4 hour approx flight, then wait 4 hours), Madrid-Dusseldorf on Lufthansa (2.5 hour fllight then almost immediate connection) & Dusseldorf-PP on LTU - total journey time approx 19 hours, cost US$1293 including rebate, it says here.
Cheap Tickets, Cheap Flights and Airfare - cFares

Might be cheaper to either go back to UK for a cheap charter flight OR to Brussels & pick up Jet Air Brussels to Puerto Plata last minute booking for about 150 Euros.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
He's not that big... what about FedEx overnite?

Customs clearance should be easy as he can be declared well under US$200 value. Only issue would be finding someone willing to take delivery.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
If he's not in a rush to get back, the other alternative is train from Marrakesh to Tangiers (trains in Morocco are (were) OK, long distance bus is iffy so not recommended unless you're 19 & don't mind roughing it). At Tangiers take ferry to Spain (so he gets anothe mini cruise, very mini)
Tangier to Algeciras ferry Crossing - Ferries from Tangier to Algeciras
then train to whichever airport has cheapest flight back to DR.

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
If he's not in a rush to get back...

See, that's just the thing...we'll know he's ready to come home when he sends the email saying he's ready! I did find a flight for a rather good price out of Brussels...looks like they fly once a week (Monday) direct to here. Could be an option - unless he decides he wants to come home NOW on a Tuesday! ;)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
See, that's just the thing...we'll know he's ready to come home when he sends the email saying he's ready! I did find a flight for a rather good price out of Brussels...looks like they fly once a week (Monday) direct to here. Could be an option - unless he decides he wants to come home NOW on a Tuesday! ;)

Well, he understands the word ma?ana ;)

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Might be cheaper to either go back to UK for a cheap charter flight OR to Brussels & pick up Jet Air Brussels to Puerto Plata last minute booking for about 150 Euros.

Seems that jetairfly.com have put all their prices up also - more expensive by ?150 (round trip) than it was yesterdat.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The King Of Ribs Maybe Detained by the Euro Nations to identify Potential Rib falls in the screening process for this Flu!

Of Course "I say nothing", "I hear Nothing"

They Will Pay A Kings Ransom for this advice!

Checks for swine flu
Passengers arriving at Punta Cana airport are being checked for swine flu via a thermal camera.

Checks for swine fluIf they have a fever these passengers could be carrying the virus - at least that's the theory. The equipment for these checks was purchased by the airport over four years ago as part of the programme: 'fighting infectious diseases and disasters'. If they find a passenger with a fever, that person is taken to a special room where doctors then perform a blood test.
The management at Puerto Plata airport says they will also start such checks in the near future, but do not yet have the correct equipment available. Checks at this airport are particularly necessary, according to the management, as many passengers arrive here on holiday from countries such as Mexico and the USA.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
The next big health scare - "the camel flu"?

Go by camel to Ceuta or Tangier and take a ferry to Tarifa/Algeciras
From Algeciras or Tarifa you can take a bus to M?laga
From M?laga you can take flights via Madrid/Paris to SDQ (Iberia, Air Europa, Air France)
From SDQ you can take Caribe Tours to POP. ;)

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I'd go to wherever flies non stop to POP or STI - connecting flights are a bummer especially for someone who once he gets on the plane wants to get off in the DR. It's worth the extra $$$ to save the time and aggravation.

I use Kayak.com to investigate and then go directly tothe airlines to buy.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
OK - see my instructions above, but instead of going to M?laga from Tarifa or Algeciras:

- take a bus from Tarifa/Algeciras to La L?nea
- cross on foot from La L?nea to Gibraltar
- take a flight from Gib to London Gatwick.

From London there are charters to POP.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
He's not that big... what about FedEx overnite?

Customs clearance should be easy as he can be declared well under US$200 value. Only issue would be finding someone willing to take delivery.

Be careful. They may have a Flat Arse surcharge.