platform beds

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
Anyone know of where i can buy a platform bed. im not looking for a $1000 bed set. I want a set i can construct/build in my room in the $200 range (not including the mattress)

can anyone help?

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
im wondering if i hired a dominican carpenter to come and make it at my home...........if that would be a cheaper option. That is, if i buy the materials and he supplies his labor and time etc!!!! What do people think ???

Aug 21, 2007
I had a platform bed made. Looked on the internet for the style I wanted. (The internet quoted price was $4,000.00USD.) Then, I took the pic to the little furniture construction store east of Sosua, just beyond Mimbre and Rattan. They asked me what kind of wood I wanted. I told them Caoba (sp???). They quoted $400 USD. The price was right. The bed was finished in 10 days. It was beautiful. I am happy to give them a reference.

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
I had a platform bed made. Looked on the internet for the style I wanted. (The internet quoted price was $4,000.00USD.) Then, I took the pic to the little furniture construction store east of Sosua, just beyond Mimbre and Rattan. They asked me what kind of wood I wanted. I told them Caoba (sp???). They quoted $400 USD. The price was right. The bed was finished in 10 days. It was beautiful. I am happy to give them a reference.

Windeguy and Lindsay thank you
can you please give me easy to follow directions with as much description as possible
name of store
phone number
name of manager there
nearby shops etc

sorry to be a pain in the tushy but its surprising how lost a local taxi driver can be...my experience only!!!!!!!!

any photos????
if you PM me ill give you my email

thanks again

Feb 7, 2007
I had my platform bed (the wood base, if that's what you mean with "platform bed") custom-made to fit my king size mattress, it was 2 years ago and I paid around 5000 pesos including materials. It was made from "pino" and painted dark "caoba". The wood has gone up in prices, so count with about 5.000 just in materials these days, and if you know the maestro 2.000 in labor, if not then maybe 3.000 to 4.000 in labor. Now if you want full caoba, count maybe 10.000 just in materials.

Aug 21, 2007
Windeguy and Lindsay thank you
can you please give me easy to follow directions with as much description as possible
name of store
phone number
name of manager there
nearby shops etc

sorry to be a pain in the tushy but its surprising how lost a local taxi driver can be...my experience only!!!!!!!!

any photos????
if you PM me ill give you my email

thanks again

These are the best directions I can give. Head out of Sosua. Go past the carwash across from La Mulatta Road. When you see the 2 story Mimbre and Rattan Store (second floor is all glass), the little wood furniture store that made my bed is just beyond, next door. It has a wood sign with a little roof over it. If you pass beyond, you will go over a tiny bridge and then the area where all the truck drivers and transports are parked along the road.

Sorry, I don't know the name of the store or the owner, who is Dominican American. An English speaking man who helped with my order, took my payment, and delivered is named Craig Honeymoon.

Maybe someone else on the board can give you phone number and name of the store.

Lindsey

rocker67

Apr 20, 2009
thank you very much

clarification is that craig honey moon or craig honeyman. If its 'honeyman' was he the pool guy that behaved in a 'dubious manner ' with peoples money???

Aug 21, 2007
thank you very much

clarification is that craig honey moon or craig honeyman. If its 'honeyman' was he the pool guy that behaved in a 'dubious manner ' with peoples money???

I believe that he was formerly in the pool business. I have no knowledge about previous "dubious" behavior. I also do not know what his position is in the furniture store.

Regardless, the bed that was made for me is beautiful and the price was right. I feel confident in recommending this store to others.

Lindsey