Refrigerator

eralc777

Aug 6, 2005
I am looking at buying a new fridge (big fridge/freezer) how much is one likely to cost in Puerto Plata or Sosua?
I would go and look tomorrow but all the stores will be closed! Anyone got an idea?

retiree

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
It would cost around $1,000 for a nice big one. Nice selection at Distribudora Gonzalez in Puerto Plata and they stand behind their guarantees. I don't think that refrigerators cost twice as much here and we have bought 3 of them.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
You are right that they do not cost twice as much --- I got a fantastic new fridge and a six burner stove with a grill, oven, broiler all with a Stainless Steel finish -- for less than US$1300

They import very good asia models here - that the US never sees.
Smaller energy efficient models.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I got a great new fridge from the states, door to door for less than 500....new washing machine for 225.....door to door, no hassles beyond tossing out the packing cardboard and plastic wrap...

HB (of course it was family to family with no profit to anyone...)

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
The OP may be advised that unless he has an inverter with voltage regulator, many appliance models will have a shorter life here because of the constant under-voltage. That can kill some electric appliances.

There are some brands that are designed to run on flucuating power supplies without damage. I recall Nedoka is one of them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
is that why the cell phone has to be charged in such a short peroid of time? Never fully charging???
Could be.

My inverter is set for 110v output. I know the street power has gone out because my lights get much, much brighter, and the microwave actually heats the crap out of things.

It is common for my UPS (computers, modem, router, phone, chargers connected) to activate and beep while the power is still on. Why? The lower limit threshold for activation is 95v.

Sometimes my microwave just won't heat. A cup of water for 5 minutes barely warms it. Low voltage.

It is normal for my outlets to show 80-90v continuously.