Barcelo Talanquera Sold?

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
I was tol by the people at Barcelo that as of April 30 they no longer own the Talanquera. Does anyone know if it is still in operation and if so who is running it?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
It is closed and I understand it has been sold for apartments. Really sad. I spent 3 years working as a dive instructor there and the last thing Juan Dolio needs is more apartments!!!

Matilda

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
Sad Indeed

Thanks Matida. I had stayed there for a long weekend last year and thought I might do the same this year. I found it a reasonably priced option for an all inclusive and my novia really enjoyed the nightly shows. I guess I'll look around to see what other "deals" I can find in JD.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Only two hotels left now. barcelo Capella (says 5 star but think 3) and Coral Costa Caribe. Or you have 2 apart hotels - Playa Real and Albatros. let me know if you need more info.

Matilda

Enteri2

Feb 26, 2004
*sigh*

:ermm:

Wow - I really liked it there. My wife and I went there a few years ago and were really pleased. Oh well. Thanks for the info. I was scouring the web trying to see what happened to the place....I should have known to come here first for good information!

Thanks all,

~E~

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
Never stayed there or used the facilities.
Its another indication of how little value remains in the all inclusive market in Juan Dolio, and how the real estate market there is moving more and more towards owner occupied units on the beach - without the infrastructure needed.

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Yikes

Sounds pretty scary to me, felt like I was reading a short thriller. There are always some bad seeds mixed in the bunch but I could see how this would be tramatic. Sounds real.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Total bullsihit if you ask me!!!! Albatros is a nice resort opposite my colmado. never read so much rubbish in my life!!!!

Jun 18, 2007
www.rentalmetrocountry.com
I?ve had several clients that switched from Albatros to another condo and this was because they expected more of the condos but never because of robberies and bad service from the staff. This is hard to believe to be honest.
In my many years in the hospitality business I?ve experienced several times that clients from arrival couldn?t be pleased no matter what one would do.
Some clients go even further by trying to destroy things on the premises and some people write bogus reviews.
You can?t win them all.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The resort review is quite detailed. I recently met a couple from Canada at breakfast at Gulias who asked me if I knew of an alternative place to stay- they complained horribly about the room, facilities and overall services there. The review is more of a detailed "hijacking" and this is not uncommon as we all know. We have many stories- some more intense than others- about tourists who are abused by the taxi drives and fall to one scheme or another. Forget the Dr- this happens in Mexico all the time.
The Consulate should investigate the hijacking incident- as this can turn into a much more serious and unfortunate matter in the future...

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Back to the OPs original question. Have just been told that Barcelo have pulled out of Talanquera and it is closed for a few months for remodelling. After that the owners say they will reopen it as a hotel.

Matilda

BPL888

Sep 7, 2004
New Owners

Thanks Matilda. I will look into it again in a few months to see what they offer. Do you know the name of the company that bought it?

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
Barcelo were only ever a management company. It was and still is owned by a Dominican family as far as I know.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The area needs a Hotel- a few Hotels- to provide tourists that seek to spend $$$ in the local area. One would argue that the Tourism driven business forms the source that builds the interest in the area in general.
Once the white elephants fill, it will be a nice compliment.

lexi

Bronze
Jan 23, 2007
I agree. I think there needs to be more hotels there. We always stay at Capella but it would be nice to have more of an option.

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
Thanks Matida. I had stayed there for a long weekend last year and thought I might do the same this year. I found it a reasonably priced option for an all inclusive and my novia really enjoyed the nightly shows. I guess I'll look around to see what other "deals" I can find in JD.
I stayed at the Talenquera a little over a year ago. It was ok. Just spent a long weekend at Capella this last week. It's ok as well, a little nicer than Talenquera. Totally fills up with Dominicans on weekends! I was there with a group of Dominicans - had a blast. The nightly shows were absolutely phenomenal!

If you register on Barcelo's website and check the "offers and promotions", there are currently some really good off-season deals to be had at their various hotels. I had two rooms and five people at Capella, all-inclusive for three nights for around $650.00 - hard to beat!

The food was good as the place was busy and they had to keep bringing out fresh platers. The beer is Presidente on tap and the alcohol is some off-beat brand, not all that good. You can get brand name alcohol drinks for an extra charge. I would definitely go back to Capella.

Rico K.

May 11, 2009
www.juandolio.info
Hi, I'm new here and from what I was reading so far, here are some people wanting to promote Juan Dolio - I'd like to the same...
I'm living in Juan Dolio Beach (the old part of Juan Dolio) and recently just have started (again...) to set up a website for/about Juan Dolio. Searching the i-net for existing webpages I came across this one... Looks like I'm going to stay a while... My native language is german, so if you find any typos in my post(s to come...) - keep'em. ;)

Back to the OPs original question. Have just been told that Barcelo have pulled out of Talanquera and it is closed for a few months for remodelling. After that the owners say they will reopen it as a hotel.

Matilda
Just my two cents: Another rumor has it, that the Metro Golf & Country Club has a certain interest in the property and is planning to convert it into a Beach Club for their members and guests (similar to the Guavaberry Beach Club in Villas Del Mar).

Best regards, Rico