New Poster, Long Post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Hey everyone? short time reader, first time poster? my name is Dennis and I am seriously considering another big move. I?m an American who has expatriated himself in the past to three different countries as an English teacher (Japan, Korean and Malaysia). Over the past one and one-half years I have managed to build up a respectable little business as a web content writer (the list of job descriptions is endless? suffice to say that if the web developer doesn?t have someone to write it? I do it for them). My business and pending minor book deal has made it possible for me to seriously consider moving abroad on my own terms (not having to find a work visa being the main point there) and living a quiet little life somewhere in what many might call paradise.

I?ve been considering Guam (I do like it there), but what with all the military buildup there as marines leave Okinawa and the huge rise in rents over the past two years (and more increases projected), it would appear I might consider elsewhere. After having done my Internet homework, it would appear that the DR is a decent place to contemplate a move.

I am not about to start asking all the dumb questions most might here. Rather, after having done a bit of research, I think I have a few oddly relevant questions that Ye Ol? Net has yet to offer up. And so I feel compelled to ask those whom are in the know.

My first question revolves around Internet access itself. I have yet to find a ?definitive? answer to what kinds of Inet access is available (dial-up, DSL, satellite etc?), nor about how much each kind of entry method costs. Is there anyone here who could answer that? My continued ability to work depends on that exclusively.

Secondly, generally speaking does anyone have any ideas what might be best regarding my acquiring the residency visa? Should I do as much as I can from the US, or head down after a vacation or two and go about it from within? How current does the police clearance letter need to be, and if I ?planned ahead? by bringing a notarized one with me, would I ultimately be wasting my time?

Finally, any real advice as to where I may want to start looking to settle down in if I decide the DR is a good place to do so, if only for a relaxing and enjoyable couple of years? I hear there is a strong international expat community in several key locations, and I would particularly like to hear opinions about the North coast region Sousa. When I go on craigslist (always the best place from which to collect raw number data), I see that rents there are pretty cheap. About how much could I expect to pay for a one bedroom apartment/flat that is with walking distance to a nice beach? maybe I could even see the ocean without actually paying for beachfront rates. Moreover, are there any expats with secondary housing units on their property I could rent/lease long term?

Lastly, and yes I am a single guy with no children and as such kind of need to ask this; what is the social scene like? Are there a decent amount of ladies who are capable of speaking English? My Spanish stinks, but with having lived in Arizona for so long, I?ve picked up a bit here and there. More importantly, what are some of the stigmas and crap such couples may have to put up with.

I know the expat ladies are loath to read questions like that (why do they always care about the women???), but then again, you ladies aren't the ones stealing all their women folk away. I had a serious issue once in Malaysia with such lack of tolerance, and frankly, it can never hurt to ask.

I thank anyone who has read thus far, and would appreciate any insight you may afford me.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Welcome to DR1, centrovert :) . Deal with the residency issue when you get here but any paperwork you can bring with you will most likely not go to waste. And bring multiple copies in case stuff gets 'misfiled' ;).

Is your intellectual stimulation going to be self generated or...were you expecting to find it here in DR? Because that might have more bearing on where you would relocate to than rental cost.

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Is your intellectual stimulation going to be self generated or...were you expecting to find it here in DR? Because that might have more bearing on where you would relocate to than rental cost.

Hmm... interesting point. I was thinking the northern area where there is pretty big expat community i guess. Plus the rents seem really reasonable.

What do you suggest? I have a tendency to avoid the cap. cities of any nation i live in.

Aug 21, 2007
If you search on this site, you will find tons of good information. There are some other sources of good info. PM me and I will provide them to you. (I have no business interest.)

Welcome to dr1.

Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Have you noticed the little box up above that says "SEARCH"? Try it. All of your questions have been answered--with the possible exception of current rents...

HB

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Have you noticed the little box up above that says "SEARCH"? Try it. All of your questions have been answered--with the possible exception of current rents...

HB

Oh yeah, I know how these places operate. For the record, they are more often than not filled with fools such as yourself. And as you can see, I do not suffer fools lightly. Now go back and read from the top. Notice where I stated that the Internet (to include this very forum) had yet to yeild definitive results? Certainly any questions I had concerning who the twirp of these here forums might happen to be have been answered... definitively!

Tell me, does trying to elevate yourself in the virtual world make you feel better in the real one? I'll wager your Canadian...

Have a nice day!

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have internet access, cable modem, medium speed, medium price US$51 monthly; they give me the or I should say rent me the modem. in order to have this access, I need to be a cable company customer which I am (Delancer). The internet service is actually Comcast. I've had some problems but mostly pleased and their tech support is good and speaks English.

Good luck and welcome.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Oh yeah, I know how these places operate. For the record, they are more often than not filled with fools such as yourself. And as you can see, I do not suffer fools lightly. Now go back and read from the top. Notice where I stated that the Internet (to include this very forum) had yet to yeild definitive results? Certainly any questions I had concerning who the twirp of these here forums might happen to be have been answered... definitively!

Tell me, does trying to elevate yourself in the virtual world make you feel better in the real one? I'll wager your Canadian...

Have a nice day!

Uncalled for amigo!
Hillbilly is one of..... if not the most respected member of this community.

If I were you I would crawl back under your rock for a few weeks.

tambo'

PS: It's Sosua not Sousa!

krwilson

Apr 18, 2008
I have answers to all of your questions............pero lo siento, soy un canadiense y orgulloso de ?l.

centrovert

May 5, 2009
Uncalled for amigo!
Hillbilly is one of..... if not the most respected member of this community.

If I were you I would crawl back under your rock for a few weeks.

tambo'

PS: It's Sosua not Sousa!

Yeah, typos happen, especially when I am unfamilar with the language. BTW, thank you for providing an illustration of another classic case of "HA!!! We're so much better than you and we can prove it!!!" I level no apologies for my having been disrepsected. I made it perfectly clear why I posted what I did and why I asked the questions I asked.

And as far as forum communities are concerned, I learned long ago not to give two cents about about making friends or enemies. Between the poster who answered about cable modems, and the few people I chatted with last evening, all my questions were answered.

Oh, and I have no rock to climb out from under. In case you haven't noticed, I have a tendency to hold my position, feet firm in the dirt.

Dennis

PS - With the possible exception of Korea, "Netizens" are of no consequence in the grand scheme of things... no revel in your unimportance!

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007

Have a nice day!

What does being a Canadian (which I dont believe HB is) have to do with the tone of his post, and the way he worded it.... if that is what you took issue with?
I hate when people bring up someones ethnicity/nationality as if to prove some stupid prejudice. Its 2009!
BTW I hope you know there are A LOT of Canadian expats in the DR.
You just insulted a large percentage of the people you seek assistance from.
Not smart.
Good luck.

centrovert

May 5, 2009
What does being a Canadian (which I dont believe HB is) have to do with the tone of his post, and the way he worded it.... if that is what you took issue with?
I hate when people bring up someones ethnicity/nationality as if to prove some stupid prejudice. Its 2009!
BTW I hope you know there are A LOT of Canadian expats in the DR.
You just insulted a large percentage of the people you seek assistance from.
Not smart.
Good luck.

Still, don't care. Next? I work from home and I could do this all day. Again, I have my answers.

For the record, I think most Canadians (minus French-Canadians) are self important people. The kind that like to elaboarte on the blatantly obvious in an attempt to seem knowledgable or witty.

So... yeah... smart, actually. And luck has nothing to do with it.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Yeah, typos happen, especially when I am unfamilar with the language. BTW, thank you for providing an illustration of another classic case of "HA!!! We're so much better than you and we can prove it!!!" I level no apologies for my having been disrepsected. I made it perfectly clear why I posted what I did and why I asked the questions I asked.

And as far as forum communities are concerned, I learned long ago not to give two cents about about making friends or enemies. Between the poster who answered about cable modems, and the few people I chatted with last evening, all my questions were answered.

Oh, and I have no rock to climb out from under. In case you haven't noticed, I have a tendency to hold my position, feet firm in the dirt.

Dennis

PS - With the possible exception of Korea, "Netizens" are of no consequence in the grand scheme of things... no revel in your unimportance!
Seeing as your questions have been answered, I'm closing this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.