Drastic rise in Codetel charges!

Syork

Sep 5, 2004
Has anyone else paid their Codetel bill in the past few days? I paid ours this morning. Our daughter was here a couple of weeks ago for a visit and called everyone in the world so we knew the bill would be higher. This is our home phone-not cell phone. After checking on past bills-here's the result:

A call to Ohio in October 2008-at 10:38 AM-82.24 minutes long(my wife's best friend- $119.48 for a per minute charge of 1.45 pesos per minute.

Same call on March 24 at 11:07 AM is now 5.75 pesos per minute!

Substancial increase, to say the least. I'll check this week at the Codetel office in town and see what I can find out.

Rick

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
They don't even have my bill ready which was supposed to be available April 15th

I don't care if the phone rates go up but if the internet rates go up I will not be pleased but.

This rate increase may have something to do with with no invoice being available

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
...... A call to Ohio in October 2008-at 10:38 AM-82.24 minutes long(my wife's best friend- $119.48 for a per minute charge of 1.45 pesos per minute.

Same call on March 24 at 11:07 AM is now 5.75 pesos per minute!

Rick

There may have been a special going on at the time of the first call.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
There may have been a special going on at the time of the first call.

That sounds right. A rate of 1.45 pesos per minute to the US was probably a discounted rate.

The rate of 5.75 pesos per minute sounds normal.

OP, do what Dominicans do. Put a lock on the phone.

Last edited:

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
We are still waiting..........

.......for our bills from Codetel. We get them online and they are ALWAYS available between the 28th and last day of each month...........

Now, May 6, they still aren't there so who knows if the same thing will happen to us.........

........but we have ALWAYS paid only 1 peso per minute for calls to the US from our landline in Puerto Plata.......

We have the PLAN USA which costs us an additional $100 peso per month and for that all calls to the US 24/7 are 1.00 peso per minute..........NEVER had a problem yet..........we'll see.........and LET YOU KNOW........

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
.......for our bills from Codetel. We get them online and they are ALWAYS available between the 28th and last day of each month...........

Now, May 6, they still aren't there so who knows if the same thing will happen to us.........

........but we have ALWAYS paid only 1 peso per minute for calls to the US from our landline in Puerto Plata.......

We have the PLAN USA which costs us an additional $100 peso per month and for that all calls to the US 24/7 are 1.00 peso per minute..........NEVER had a problem yet..........we'll see.........and LET YOU KNOW........

I have been getting my Verizon then Codetel bills on line for the past two years. This month they are no longer available and I got the bill in hardcopy thrown over my garden wall. Looks like another Codetel customer service award....
Bryan

Feb 7, 2007
For about 30 pesos + taxes per month, you can get a restricted long distance, which means that in order to dial LD, you have to enter a 6 digit code.

It works like this: you dial a LD number (DR LD, cellphone, or International), you get a second dial tone, you enter the 6 digit code, then your call i completed.

If you do not enter the code or enter the incorrect code, you get a busy tone and the call does no go through.

Local calls (within your local calling area) are not affected.

Jun 15, 2008

exactly. i've always paid 1 peso per minute to the USA. hope i won't receive any surprises in my bill this month.
even though i've been using bueno.com lately to call usa for free.

webmacon

Jul 4, 2006
caribbeanostriches.com
If you have internet already just get Skype plan for Unlimited calls to the US and Canada for about 6 US$ a month.

If you have a 3G Iphon you can also use that one for the same plan.

Works great and sometime better quality than normal phone call.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Online billing update 5/11/2009

I have been getting my Verizon then Codetel bills on line for the past two years. This month they are no longer available and I got the bill in hardcopy thrown over my garden wall. Looks like another Codetel customer service award....
Bryan

I finally received.....ONLINE my cell phone bill only (not the house phone) and was able to pay it TODAY..............I usually get them around the last day of the month. This bill was just available today 5/11/09 and was due on 5/8/09.............no surprises as far as rates........but it's not the home phone either...............so we'll still have to wait and see about that.................IF I GET IT.............

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
I am following this thread, as I also use Codetel 1.00 peso per minute program quite often, will update the thread if I got any surprises in the rate.

POP Bad Boy

Bronze
Jun 27, 2004
Update 5/15/09

Our land line bill has finally appeared on the website today. This is the bill that we usually would have received around 4/28/09........

........There has been NO increase in the charges and we are still paying $1.00RD peso per minute under the Plan USA...........

The only problem now, is that I tried to pay it twice online and both times it failed. I will try it again tomorrow.............

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
i spoke to some people at codetel the other day and there won't be any late fees this month. our bill was 500 pesos cheaper than its been in past months, and when we paid (two days late) there way no late fee.