Bringing my Road Bike to the DR...

Notyourpants

Apr 13, 2009
I'll soon be moving to Santo Domingo and am curious whether I should even bother bringing my road bicycle along with me?
This bike is my baby, and because I've been finishing up grad school, I haven't been able to dedicate much time to it. I'd hate to sell it, but if I'm not going to be able to tote it along I'll be damned if I let it waste away in a family member's garage somewhere (or even worse they ride it w/out taking care of it...)
Its very clear to me that I will not be able to ride it in Santo Domingo, but what about rides out of town along the highway?
I have a mountain bike that I'd bring instead, is that the better option? Searching other posts I'm reading about the great mtn biking opportunities out of town/off road, which sounds really sweet. :)
...but it'd be great to tour the country on my road bike, too.

yours in distress... :ermm:

l_th

Jun 4, 2004
www.809k.com
There are alot of riders in the DR for both road and MTB
MTBdominicana is a nice blog for MTB events and day trips

You can find every afternoon road and MTB riders at the Mirador doing daily laps

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I see more and more serious looking riders on the roads, and I know that there is at least one major road race. But I think that the drivers are so crazy in the DR that you might be better off sticking with the off-road stuff.

My son is a serious cylcist, and I'm going to discourage him from riding anywhere near traffic when he visits - and he commutes to Manhattan on a bike! - D

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I agree, many serious bikers here. Most of them are riding in team. Many times I see 5-10-15 bikers riding together. I think it's a lot safer this way.
As far as I can tell their gears are high-end.
I bet here you need to pay a lot more $$ to buy / build your bike.
I'd bring those bikes for sure, and first would explore the roads via MB - even in the city. Try to get in touch with other bikers here.
Good luck in the DR!

The Hun

Notyourpants

Apr 13, 2009
Many thanks for all the advice! This is certainly sounding more hopeful than what I had been finding!
Anybody know much about these off road trails?

l_th

Jun 4, 2004
www.809k.com
Well, I have a google earth kmz file of a off road trail where a race was celebrated this past Sunday. It was approx 50kms starting going arround the Higuero Airport and ending in Pedro Brand