Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Attention Boaters - New Port of Entry Regulations will be passed effective May 15th

This is great news. via a Public Decree, the DR will pass legislation that will regulate marinas and authorities that control port of entry fees and procedures. Due to the high amount of corruption and unbelievable beauracracy previously experienced in this sector of the economy, it is great progress. Here are the main points:

Effective May 15th:

No more authorities board any boats during port of entry, unless there is suspicion of some kind that requires boarding. Captain will take boat documents and passports to officials land side.

There will be a fee of 5% charged on all dockage fees to all marinas, which will cover all fees for authorities like Marina de Guerra, Immigration, Immigration Tourism, Drug Control, Min. of Agriculture (animals), Ministry of Agriculture (Plants), Drug Control. (Previously, these authorities, or a combination of them, used to board boats and ask for various fees that they made up on the spot).

These authorities will no longer be allowed to collect any fees from boaters.
    Port Authority will collect these fees from the marinas and distribute them to the relevant agencies.

Boaters clearing at their port of entry in the DR will receive a 'cruising permit' which will allow free entry and departure from all dominican ports.

Theoretically, if this works, it would be a huge improvement over the current situation which causes many boaters to skip the DR as a 'recreational' destination.

Practically, I don't see how the different authorities will be able to split up the money without fighting, but this will be their problem.

Its possible that some authorities will not respect the Port Authority's authority here, and try to collect fees anyhow. Also, I am sure they will find other ways to 'fleece' the boaters but it will be much harder now, especially since they plan to publish the new regulations on the internet and on signs in all marinas.

overall, great news for the boating industry in the DR!

Like anything else in this country, I will believe it when I see it, but we (Ocean World Marina) had a meeting with the Port Authority this morning, along with other marinas, where this was confirmed.

Previous versions of this legislation (quite scary ones actually, that would have killed all marinas in the country) had been floating around for the last few months.
    Last edited by Conchman; 05-07-2009 at 03:37 PM.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

If this works as planned, I would have to take my hat off to the government and commend them greatly. This is a huge step in the right direction, to attract more boaters to this island.

DR1
    Post Thanks / Like

Thats great news and about time! I'll get this published in the news.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

This complaint about extortion at Luperon was in Puerto Plata Habla about 8 days ago:
    EXTRANJERO PROPIETARIO DE LANCHAS DENUNCIA CORRUPCION

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

these kinds of incidents is what keeps boaters away

some marinas can control the authorities but in areas like Luperon and Samana this is more difficult, as marinas are either not-existent or not really involved in the port of entry process.

at Ocean World Marina we had the problem that the Port Authority would charge foreign boaters a US$50 per week fee, which we had to agree to in order to get an operating license for the marina (we were told all marina will have this fee). This kept boats from staying long term as this fee will add up after a few months. In addition, other marinas didn't have this charge.

In addition, to get clearance to leave every marina and to have to wait for every authority to show up (sometimes taking all day), was a huge pain in the butt for all boaters who had already cleared customs/immigration etc and only wanted to go to another dominican port.

Mr. Chunky Skin
    Post Thanks / Like

You say it "will be passed", i'm curious what that converts to in terms I understand. And what about those of us that paid the outrageous fees (approaching US$1000) for a cruising permit that did not exempt us from the US$20 fee for a day pass?
    Sorry, but the DR has a rather exceptional record for shooting itself in the foot and snatching defeat from victory while the few profit. It's a great idea and well past due but a lot of damage has been done by the morons of govt and especially the Marina De Guerra. I still remember the evening I returned to port and was greeted by the military saying I owed money because I did not return when my four day permit said I should (I was a day early).
    The stories I could tell about incompetence in DR.......

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Great news! Thanks for the heads up

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlaninDR View Post
    You say it "will be passed", i'm curious what that converts to in terms I understand. And what about those of us that paid the outrageous fees (approaching US$1000) for a cruising permit that did not exempt us from the US$20 fee for a day pass?
    Sorry, but the DR has a rather exceptional record for shooting itself in the foot and snatching defeat from victory while the few profit. It's a great idea and well past due but a lot of damage has been done by the morons of govt and especially the Marina De Guerra. I still remember the evening I returned to port and was greeted by the military saying I owed money because I did not return when my four day permit said I should (I was a day early).
    I believe the decree has been signed into law by the president, however, I cannot provide any source evidence right now but probably tomorrow.

Yes there are hundreds of stories like yours, people getting ripped off by authorities. This is a huge step in the right direction and could potentiall revolutionize the recreational yachting/boating industry in the DR.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AlaninDR View Post
    A day late and a dollar short?

Nope; a day early and a bag of pesos long.

What a country!

Post Thanks / Like

Default what about luperon??????

Who will collect these fees in luperon???? and how will they be regulated???? lots of boats here are not at marinas!! the country "cruising permit "sounds fabulous,as it has been a tremendous problem to leave here and go to another port in the country without delays and fees~~~~~~~~~

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast