Medical Wives Tales!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Inspired by the thread i posted yesterday about a Chihuahua being a cure for Asthma, i thought it would be interesting to share any more wives tales specifically about health and so on.

Matilda did start a thread not too long ago about strange beliefs in the DR, but i wanted narrow it down to health. Now i dont intend this to be a bashing of Dominicans, so it would be nice to hear about any strange wives tales that anyone has believed to be true also.

I will start...

When i decided to stop breastfeeding my breasts were extremely painful because they were still full of milk and still producing. I could hardly move my arms and the slightest movement was very painful. My housekeeper told me to go and find an ants nest and squeeze some of my milk from my breast onto the ants nest and in a few days it would clear up!!!

1. who the hell discovered this? ha ha

2. After not breastfeeding or expressing milk, your body will stop producing after a few days anyway.

I would like to add i did not go squirting milk round the garden and attacking innocent ants!!

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Fridge

From the wife,
1. Can't get cold water out of the Fridge while ironing, as standing in front of the open door will give you gripe.
2. Can't air dry the hair after shampooing, and towel drying, again gripe.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
My mother in law is an expert on natural remedies. Some really do work, but others take a little suspension of disbelief, like putting a lump of bread on your head to relieve a migraine.

Jan 17, 2009
No ironing after washing clothes (in an automatic clothes washer/dryer). No washing anything after ironing (not even dropping lettuce in a pot of water). Gripe

ybonabeach

Jan 16, 2008
gripe

I think they think everything will give you gripe. I tried to explain to my hubby that it comes from germs, but he wasn't having any of that LOL. He told me sitting in the wind gives him gripe ahhhhh

sylindr

Nov 29, 2007
medical wives tales

taking children outside after or during rain will give them gripe.... even though they have no windows or doors on their houses....lol

LaTeacher

Bronze
May 2, 2008
laura, you have to wait the same 30-some days for a natural birth, too. In fact, i've found that there is even more insistence on NOT washing hair after a natural birth. The reason? because your body is overheated from all of the work of pushing the baby out, and wetting your head will cause the brain to freak out. and you will die.

can't shower, open the fridge or be in the outside "cold" air after ironing. I guess back in the day the time was based on whether the iron (the kind you heat on a stove, not the electric kind) was still hot. Once the iron cooled down you could get on with your life.

don't take the baby outside at night or the "sereno" will give them green diarrhea AND gripe.

my son was in the hospital for RotoVirus this week and at least three other patients told us he was suffering from something called an "empache" or something stopping up his intestines causing only the liquid to be able to get out. (diarrhea) this, of course, is caused my the "mal de ojo" and we better get him baptized soon before the demons start killing us off. of course, "don't tell the doctor - just go to this woman who "knows about that stuff" and she will make an oregano and salt tea" that'll clear everything up!

after a c-section you can't get pregnant for another two years becuase your uterus will explode. that's also why you can't have a vaginal birth after a c-section.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
laura, you have to wait the same 30-some days for a natural birth, too. In fact, i've found that there is even more insistence on NOT washing hair after a natural birth. The reason? because your body is overheated from all of the work of pushing the baby out, and wetting your head will cause the brain to freak out. and you will die.

can't shower, open the fridge or be in the outside "cold" air after ironing. I guess back in the day the time was based on whether the iron (the kind you heat on a stove, not the electric kind) was still hot. Once the iron cooled down you could get on with your life.

don't take the baby outside at night or the "sereno" will give them green diarrhea AND gripe.

my son was in the hospital for RotoVirus this week and at least three other patients told us he was suffering from something called an "empache" or something stopping up his intestines causing only the liquid to be able to get out. (diarrhea) this, of course, is caused my the "mal de ojo" and we better get him baptized soon before the demons start killing us off. of course, "don't tell the doctor - just go to this woman who "knows about that stuff" and she will make an oregano and salt tea" that'll clear everything up!

after a c-section you can't get pregnant for another two years becuase your uterus will explode. that's also why you can't have a vaginal birth after a c-section.

Hilarious!! I of course advertised the fact that i washed my hair two days after my c-section and "look im still alive!"

Isnt there something about if you crave a certian type of food while pregnant and your hubby doesnt get it for you, your child will be born with a birthmark that resembles that craved item??

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
I'm not sure if it's a wive's tale, but Dominican's think the cure for any skin ailment, from a pimple to psoriasis, is Vick's Vapor Rub.

Or the chepe local brand "Blue Mentol".

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Kidney Stones

I have problems with kidney stones. My Dominican brother-in-law swears this works, it's his father-in-law's "campo recipe" - put a raw egg into a glass. Squeeze enough limons so the lime juice covers the egg. Put the glass into the fridge overnight - in the morning remove the egg - the shell will be all mushy - and chug all the juice. Do this for 3 days in a row. It will dissolve the stone.

So, I was at the urologist's office and I told him about this concoction I had actually tried (I figured it was harmless). He laughed and said that lemon and lime juice were excellent ideas (and that lemon was better) but the egg didn't do anything.

Doc also told me to drink a lot of lemonade - NO tea (neither hot or cold), no chocolate. So there may actually be something to the Dominican fix. I just had a CT scan done, so now I'll find out if the stone is still there or if the limon worked :squareeye:squareeye:squareeye

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I'm not sure if it's a wive's tale, but Dominican's think the cure for any skin ailment, from a pimple to psoriasis, is Vick's Vapor Rub.

Or the chepe local brand "Blue Mentol".

Oh Toober.....my mother-in-law believes it cures everything! When our family watched "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" we laughed our butts off at the father's obsession with Windex - my kids yelled "he's like Abuela with the mentol!!"

Reactions: laurajane

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
In the pregnancy vein, when I was pregnant with my daughter we were in Santo Domingo. I crouched down to play with my son and my mother-in-law yelled at me to stand up - immediately - because I was going to make the baby fall out. This is an educated woman who was a teacher.

In the hair vein - I have washed my hair every day since I was a teenager 40 years ago. The family thinks I'm out of my mind because I'll go bald from washing it so much. I'm afraid to ask how often they wash theirs.

May 31, 2005
Hilarious!! I of course advertised the fact that i washed my hair two days after my c-section and "look im still alive!"

Isnt there something about if you crave a certian type of food while pregnant and your hubby doesnt get it for you, your child will be born with a birthmark that resembles that craved item??

The next part of your body that you touch is where the birthmark will be. At least this is what I have heard.

I also heard that cooking a lizard (lagarto) will cure asthma. This happened to a neighbor's kid and she cooked the lizard until it was a powder. She then sprinkled the powder on the beans that the kid ate and he supposedly has not had an asthma attack since then. :ermm:

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
What about drinking milk of magnesia during pregnancy "pa' qu' el muchacho salga limpiecito" - so that the baby comes out nice and clean?

Reactions: laurajane