computer language question

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
I would like to buy a computer that is set up entirely in the spanish language. When I buy computers in the States, some of the programs can be changed to spanish, but many on the funtions and prompts remeain in english. That's a bit of a problem for my family when I am not there to translate.

Is what I am looking for available in the DR?

Thanks - D

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
I would like to buy a computer that is set up entirely in the spanish language. When I buy computers in the States, some of the programs can be changed to spanish, but many on the funtions and prompts remeain in english. That's a bit of a problem for my family when I am not there to translate.

Is what I am looking for available in the DR?

Thanks - D

Sure, just go to Ceducompp in POP or I think they have a store between Sos?a and Cabarete as well. Most of the computers imported here, if they are built to order, are in Spanish.

Dell does this for sure, not certain about other companies.

blkronin

Sep 30, 2008
The language of a computer is based on the operating system. Install a Spanish language version of the operating system and you should be OK.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yes, it is the OS language which sets the languages of some of the sandard promts triggered by some programs.

On the other hand, an English setup computer is a great immersion tool into the English language and it will make it easier for you to help them... I've learned my first real English listening to Johnny Cash and fighting Windows 3.11. I never had a different language computer ever since.

... J-D.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Yes, it is the OS language which sets the languages of some of the sandard promts triggered by some programs.

On the other hand, an English setup computer is a great immersion tool into the English language and it will make it easier for you to help them... I've learned my first real English listening to Johnny Cash and fighting Windows 3.11. I never had a different language computer ever since.

... J-D.

Yeah, I know. But computers can be difficult enough without the language barrier. - D

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
Yeah, I know. But computers can be difficult enough without the language barrier. - D

"My" two girls, when they are here on weekends by now have some access to the computer. They know what "OK, Cancel, Safe, File etc." means and use it surprisingly well. They're both 8 1/2. So far they use paint and Word and browse thru picture libraries.
Believe me, it's easy. Now, if you give'em the option, as good Dominicanos, they will obviously gravitate towards lo ma comodo.

... J-D.

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Years ago I bought a Compaq computer here in Santiago from Plaza Lama(sp).

It was all in Spanish, since that is the official language here.
It was really a pain for me since I knew (know) very little Spanish.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
"My" two girls, when they are here on weekends by now have some access to the computer. They know what "OK, Cancel, Safe, File etc." means and use it surprisingly well. They're both 8 1/2. So far they use paint and Word and browse thru picture libraries.
Believe me, it's easy. Now, if you give'em the option, as good Dominicanos, they will obviously gravitate towards lo ma comodo.

... J-D.

The kids go to a bi-lingual school and are born with the computer gene anyway (as all kids are). It's mom who I'm concerned about. Plus, I want everyone to get the most out of the computer as quickly as possible. This will be our 3rd, by the way. #1 was stolen, #2 died with the help on the little one - so they have been there with gringo computers before. - D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
spanish version of windows is available in DR computer stores.
if you have more than one machine i suggest you have english OS on one and spanish OS on another. much easy to learn language if you are forced to it.
believe me or not but when i go home and use polish internet cafes i have trouble navigating polish version of windows!

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Go to "Start" - Control Panel - Regional and Language options - see if you can change to Spanish or any other language there. Windows usually comes with several languages built into it. You can switch, if you like, on any computer you buy.

Last edited:

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
Go to "Start" - Control Panel - Regional and Language options - see if you can change to Spanish or any other language there. Windows usually comes with several languages built into it. You can switch, if you like, on any computer you buy.

I have done that, burt some of the prompts remain in english. - D

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
I have done that, burt some of the prompts remain in english. - D

See, what you might have to do to change all of the prompts to Spanish really depends on which version of Windows you have installed on your computer. Here is the article that explains multi language interface: Understanding MUI

There are a lot of developer forums on the Internet that can provide you with the answers. But it probably does not make sense to buy a separate computer just because of the language.