American Airlines shucks

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I haven't flown with American in quite a few years but recently I thought I might try to fly with them from Santiago to Orlando as they recent lowered their prices.

Upon returning to the DR from a typical business trip to Orlando, they required that I provide them with my residency card to return to the DR and they also complained about some surveying equipment I had taped together would not be guaranteed because as far as they were concerned they would only guarantee one item.

Nonetheless, I have flown from the DR to the States over the last 3 plus years with Spirit and United and they have never asked me for a residency card (and good thing because I just got it before this last trip) and certainly never threatened to not guarantee my "taped together" luggage.

As far as I'm concerned I'll never fly with them again. I certainly hope Jet Blue doesn't take this approach as I really enjoy flying out of Santiago to Florida as opposed to leaving from the capital.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Please try Jet Blue, they are sooooo much better. But you would have to go to the capital which shucks;)
SHALENA

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
I was actually trying to use a nicer word, thanks though.

My humblest apologies...I guess I consider that word commonplace nowdays and meant no offence.

And I concur with the suggestion of Jetblue;)

dms3611

Bronze
Jan 14, 2002
....but did the taped together equipment make it?

.....and was it ok?........thats two critical questions.

Jan 9, 2004
United flies to Santiago?

I did not think United flew to the D.R., much less to Santiago.

You learn something new every day.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I haven't flown with American in quite a few years but recently I thought I might try to fly with them from Santiago to Orlando as they recent lowered their prices.

Upon returning to the DR from a typical business trip to Orlando, they required that I provide them with my residency card to return to the DR and they also complained about some surveying equipment I had taped together would not be guaranteed because as far as they were concerned they would only guarantee one item.

Nonetheless, I have flown from the DR to the States over the last 3 plus years with Spirit and United and they have never asked me for a residency card (and good thing because I just got it before this last trip) and certainly never threatened to not guarantee my "taped together" luggage.

As far as I'm concerned I'll never fly with them again. I certainly hope Jet Blue doesn't take this approach as I really enjoy flying out of Santiago to Florida as opposed to leaving from the capital.

semperinfidelis

Apr 15, 2003

United doesn't fly to DR regularly, and very rarely they'll fly to Punta Cana seasonally with a few; if not a couple of flights during the week out of Chicago. You might be confusing the code share they have with US Airways, which not too long ago reduced their flights into the DR.

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Sounds like you had an agent at the check in desk at AA who did everything by the book. Both the residency verification(If you had no onward travel booked from the DR and you are not Dominican) and a waiver for baggage received damaged are standard operating procedures for all airlines. The fact that in practice the other airlines only selectively follow these policies does not mean that AA did anything inappropriate.

May 31, 2005
Sounds like you had an agent at the check in desk at AA who did everything by the book. Both the residency verification(If you had no onward travel booked from the DR and you are not Dominican) and a waiver for baggage received damaged are standard operating procedures for all airlines. The fact that in practice the other airlines only selectively follow these policies does not mean that AA did anything inappropriate.

I noticed that new people on the job always follow all of the rules at first. :paranoid:

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Spirit starts flights to STI on June 17.....

HB

Their RETURN FLIGHT departs at 0320 in the AM and arrives Ft. Lauderdale at 0530. Fare is $88.00 PLUS $98.00+ for taxes and fees per person.

Just thought you'd all like to know.
Beats he** out of any other airline, pricewise.

BTW, does anyone know if the Customs/Immigration is open 24/7 at FLL?
Need the info for planning departure from FLL to GRK, same day. Right now it looks like a 093 departure for DFW from FLL.

Texas Bill

Last edited:

angie12

Apr 26, 2008
AA Definately "Shucks"

On my first trip to the DR, I used American Airlines... horrible experience! We were scheduled to fly out of Chicago at 6 am. That flight was cancelled... They got us on an 8 am flight, which sat for 4 hours, with all passengers already inside... waiting on "paperwork..." By the time we finally made it out of Chicago, all the passengers were hungry... the meals, which we had to pay for, ran out quickly. Some passengers didn't get to eat.

We had a connecting flight scheduled to leave from Puerto Rico at 5:15 pm. The pilot announced that for those of us connecting on that 5:15 flight, the plane will be held back a few minutes for us to catch it... that didn't happen! We arrived in PR at 5:00 and the connecting flight was closed and none of us were allowed on.

We were given the choice of 1. Stay overnight in PR and catch a flight to Punta Cana at 5:15 pm the next day, or 2. Fly to Santo Domingo that night, at 10pm, stay overnight there, and be driven to Punta Cana in the morning.

So we lost one night in our already paid for resort... and it took us 36 hours to arrive to our destination... so, yes... I would have to agree-- AA shucks... :ermm:

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Yes siry

American Airlines has always sucked it all went downhill with all the cut backs. I don't fly them unless it's nonstop but their flights to and from DR always seem to be delayed. Only a few carriers fly there though and the amount of flights made there daily have been drastically cut.

swtness

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
Not my experience......

American Airlines has always sucked it all went downhill with all the cut backs. I don't fly them unless it's nonstop but their flights to and from DR always seem to be delayed. Only a few carriers fly there though and the amount of flights made there daily have been drastically cut.

swtness

I've flown SDQ-MIA and back a few times this year as well as Miami-Kingston- (Jamaica)-Miami, Miami-London-Miami all with AA and not experienced delays or other inconveniences - perhaps I've just been lucky. I regularly fly to UK, Europe, Middle East and Asia as well as around the Caribbean so I do have a fair amount of experience with other airlines too. My experiences with AA have not been worse than with any of the others.
Bryan

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
Just DR for me

I specifically stated DR, Usually when traveling else where I haven't had a problem with them. But every year I went to DR there was always some sort of delay or problem. Their service just doesn't seem to be as good as it use to and I traveled alot with them as well including bahamas, Jamaica, Florida without a hicth but that DR flight get's me everytime. Guess I am one of the many unlucky bunch... I always hear the same from friends and family flying through them also. Now Continental and Delta or Jet Blue no complaints there.

Swtness

swtness

Apr 16, 2009
American Airlines Just cancelled our nonstop flight to PUJ and tried to resceduale us for a 10hr layover the day prior to our original flight in Puerto Rico. Now tell me if American Airlines doesn't suck!