Who governs the police?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
It happened again, police officers at my house at almost 1am last night. The same ones as before. I did not go out this time. I called the security of my neighborhood, they came and the police said that they just wanted to make sure that "todo esta tranquila". But I am the only house they STOP at and question me. They want something.
I went to the precinct and got the total opposite of help. I left there in tears.
They basically accused me of thinking that the police are up to no good because I am American. He (the officer at the desk) yelled at me and said sarcastic comments to have everyone in the office laughing. Saying that we (Americans) come to this country and want to talk bad about the police but when someone is robbing us, they are the first people we call. I ask to speak to his supervisor and was told "Yo soy el jeffe aqui!". I asked for his name or identification (they wear no name badges) and he refused, then asking for my passport to record my name.
Who governs these people...where do I go to get actual help?
SHALENA

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
I do not know where you live but I do know one thing. Once you pay corrupt police you never ever stop paying. Sounds like your card may already be marked if they are around for no reason. Have you been an ass or made yourself noticed in any way around where you live. Do you have Dominican friends? the most likely reason you are being picked on.

Don't pay the police, it will never end if you start.

Irina1

Mar 9, 2009
for sure their planning something..are u the only non-dominican in that neighbourhood?

(dont pay nobody nada.. u will never get rid of them after that)

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I think you ought to just ignore them. They may not be your friends and may try to get your attention or suggest to you that you might be well off "tipping" them... and then, not only are you American, but you are a woman... soltera too. I don't know, your age and how good you look, but if you live alone, that's something they will also have a hard time to understand.
As long they do not try to get on to you or your property, I'd let them be the monkeys they want to be. Be distantly friendly, with a tad of self-authority.

You may not believe it, but you may need them someday and they may even be of help to you someday... it's unlikely, but not unlikely enough for you to want to upset then just yet.

... J-D.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
for sure their planning something..are u the only non-dominican in that neighbourhood?

Yes, and they knew that. The first time they came they already knew that I was an extranjera.
I was very scared, still am, but now I believe that they want money because they could have already robbed me if that was what they were planning. Especially the first time, since I went out of my house to the gate.
Last night, I called security. I pay THEM, and when I first moved here and thought that I heard something, I called security and 2 men came with guns and searched the area. When I call my security here they come in less than 2minutes.
I think that these 2 men (police) are the men assigned to my neighborhood at night and figure that they can get some money out of me. What I don't understand is why, if that is what they want, that they did not come during the day, state who they are, and that they can make extra rounds past my house or whatever. To keep coming to my house in the madrugada does not make sense. It just scares me.
SHALENA

Last edited:

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I do not know where you live but I do know one thing. Once you pay corrupt police you never ever stop paying. Sounds like your card may already be marked if they are around for no reason. Have you been an ass or made yourself noticed in any way around where you live. Do you have Dominican friends? the most likely reason you are being picked on.

Don't pay the police, it will never end if you start.
I have never been an ass here, or made myself unsually noticed. I ride moto conchos y carros publicos like everyone else. I get along with the people in the neighborhood. The security know me, everyone in the colmados, and taxistas...everyone is very nice. Never had a problem.
I do not wear alot of jewelry or anything like that, I don't have a car although the majority of houses on my street have Jeepetas. I am a regular person. They know that I am American, and unfortunately that I am Soltera. No other Americans live here or near where I live that I know of. Everyone I associate with is Dominican.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
I think you ought to just ignore them. They may not be your friends and may try to get your attention or suggest to you that you might be well off "tipping" them... and then, not only are you American, but you are a woman... soltera too. I don't know, your age and how good you look, but if you live alone, that's something they will also have a hard time to understand.
As long they do not try to get on to you or your property, I'd let them be the monkeys they want to be. Be distantly friendly, with a tad of self-authority.

You may not believe it, but you may need them someday and they may even be of help to you someday... it's unlikely, but not unlikely enough for you to want to upset then just yet.

... J-D.

I think that they may get upset, this is my second time going to the precinct to find out why they keep coming to my house.
SHALENA

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Remember the majority of police or security in the DR are not the sharpest tools in the box, your own standards and judgements can be way off purely by being slightly intelligent yourself.
If I was to advise you I would invite your solicitor/lawyer or well connected friend out for a meal and a few drinks, being seen with someone with a bit of weight behind them can make a difference when under pressure from corruption. Don't just pick up some well connected person, you will for sure have people that know the score around you and will know how to nip this in the bud instantly.
You seem very timid and I would say that they feed off it if you are, so be strong and just be hard faced.
Don't worry about it and show you aren't worried about it by living a normal life. If they plan on extorting money from you, you will not be the first and depending where you live you will not be the last, your goal is to put them off you and move onto the next easy target.
Good luck.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Like you have said, the majority of people you spend you time with are Dominican. Enough said as far as I'm concerned.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Remember the majority of police or security in the DR are not the sharpest tools in the box, your own standards and judgements can be way off purely by being slightly intelligent yourself.
If I was to advise you I would invite your solicitor/lawyer or well connected friend out for a meal and a few drinks, being seen with someone with a bit of weight behind them can make a difference when under pressure from corruption. Don't just pick up some well connected person, you will for sure have people that know the score around you and will know how to nip this in the bud instantly.
You seem very timid and I would say that they feed off it if you are, so be strong and just be hard faced.
Don't worry about it and show you aren't worried about it by living a normal life. If they plan on extorting money from you, you will not be the first and depending where you live you will not be the last, your goal is to put them off you and move onto the next easy target.
Good luck.
Thanks so much...the problem is that I don't know any people with "a bit of weight behind them". I would gladly become friends with them.
I am not very timid...but the mistake I made the first time was answering the questions that they asked me. Because I was brought up to do whatever police say and answer everything that they ask you truthfully.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
seriously consider moving
That is the thing....I do not want to move.
I will put an alarm in my home but I do not feel unsafe anymore. I honestly believe that they want money to make "rounds" past my house, but the way they are going about it is strange.
I like my neighborhood and neighbors, the Dominican school where my children will be attending is here, I am part of the Junta de Vecinos. I like it here....should I let these people run me from here to end up somewhere that could be worse?
SHALENA

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
It must be horrid being uncomfortable in your own home but remember they feed off it and so you are playing the game they want.
You could also be making a mountain out of a molehill and they are genuinely looking out for you in the hope you will buy them a beer if you ever met them in the bar.
From my experience though Dominicans give very little for nothing, and will gain at every given opportunity, I asked for directions once and then was asked for 100pesos, and then chased down the street for it, very odd.
Anyway, some of the Gold people on here are pretty well connected and do know loads of things about how to handle stuff, some are full of rubbish also but you can clear the good advice from the guessing people.
Don't get up tight, but never ever pay them unless you are prepared to leave the area. After one time you will have to leave as it will become more and more regular with more and more security and officers.

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Why?? I don't understand?
SHALENA

Very few Domincians like any gringos, they tollerate us because they need us until they can work out a scam to take some money from us.
Don't be fooled, I don't even trust my GF or her family. I have never met a nation that can look me so convincingly in the eye and talk absolute BS.
After travelling the world with work I have yet to come across people as contrived, contradicting, with less morals or understranding of friendship that Dominicans as a whole tend to be as a nation.
One thing they all have in common, absolute obsession with money, and no moral standings at all.

My apologies to the minority as i know you are out there and are good people.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
No, I will not pay them. I pay the security, like everyone else in my neighborhood and am very satisfied with the service that I recieve from them.
SHALENA

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Very few Domincians like any gringos, they tollerate us because they need us until they can work out a scam to take some money from us.
Don't be fooled, I don't even trust my GF or her family. I have never met a nation that can look me so convincingly in the eye and talk absolute BS.
After travelling the world with work I have yet to come across people as contrived, contradicting, with less morals or understranding of friendship that Dominicans as a whole tend to be as a nation.
One thing they all have in common, absolute obsession with money, and no moral standings at all.

My apologies to the minority as i know you are out there and are good people.
Yes, I have found that the good people are the minority. I understand what you are saying. I refuse to let them run me from my home unless I think it is best for my safety. Right now, I do not feel that they want to harm me. I think they want propinas but I am not going to do it as it will end up with me paying more and more.
I just want them to leave me alone.
SHALENA