DR1 members home burgled...again!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
A close friend of mine and DR1 member returned home o thursday night about 11.30pm to hear her dog barking like a crazy thing, however she thought it was because the dog was pleased to see her after a long day alone at home.

Luckily she had returned home with her husband who also works late at night and coincidently they had met each other on the journey home from Bavaro, something that had never happened before.

They entered the house and straight away felt something was not right and saw a few things had been disturbed . They heard more noises and exited the house as it seemed the burgler was still inside.

Luckily she called me straight away and one truck full of my team had just pulled away from my house after returning all the equipment from the show and were only a few mins away from her house, so i sent them there while my husband called the police and another man we knew that lived nearby.

As a result it turns out there were four young men that had been there from 9-11pm trying to get in, they smashed the concrete post where the metal gate slid into. My friend has a huge dog but two of the men hit her and held her back with sticks through the metal railing while the other two got in.

How do we know this??????????????? Because the woman who lives behind my friend saw everything, but did NOTHING!!!!! Claiming she was scared, oh please. Her front door was on the other side of her house and if she had left the house to inform a neighbor or police noone would have known she had even left the house. Instead she watched the whole thing like a telenovela!

Also there is an apartment block right slap bang next to my friends house overlooking everything and noone did anything, the noise of breaking the concrete post and the dog going nuts at 9pm at night would have ment a few people knew what was going on.

Anyway luckily my friend did not return home alone as she usually would have. This is the third time in 5 years she has had an intruder in her home in different houses!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Don't leave your house alone!

_ the woman who lives behind my friend saw everything, but did NOTHING!!!!!
Instead she watched the whole thing like a telenovela!

People here do not want to get involved. Even less with anything that has to do with the police (as they know who they are).
If things do not happen to them they do not care.
Lack of civil awareness.
But can you blame them (in this environment)?

I am very sorry to hear about your friend's experience.
As she's a DR1 member we'll certainly hear her account.

nydr

Feb 24, 2006
where was this? SD?
A very good friend of mine lives in a condo between bella vista mall and anacaona avenue (nice and expensive place). He left the house around 10:00am and around 12:00m he got a call from a neighbor saying that there was a breaking and entering into his apartment, he went there immediately, he found the iron lock rip out the door as it was foil paper, the frame of the thick mahogany door also broken, they unplug the pc and leave it in the entrance, and took away small things.
According to the neighbors, the burglars were a woman and a man, the woman driving a new SUV, very nice dressed, chinesse design in her fingernails, nice perfume and a the hair very taken care off, the guy looks like a handyman but well dressed too.
How we that????(as laurajane asked) because the next door neighbor said that the got inside the building (they don't know how, because there's an intercom to open the door) and started knocking on every door asking for 'DR something' when the people opened the door and answered no, they go to the next apartment, finding finally one empty, according the neighbors they knock the door for almost 1/2 hour and then they got in. Ah almost forgot, she left the SUV in the middle of the parking lot entrance, blocking it.
I think that the neighbors heard the noise, because you can tell in an building when there's a bell ringing a lot of time, or maybe while they rang the bell the were breaking the door, I don't know.... But what scares me is the modus operandi, the woman, the look, the suv, and also they lack of action of the neighbors, this scares me the most.... so take care out there..
nydr

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Nydr,

I heard about a male and female robber team a few months ago in downtown POP.
The lack of action concerns me too. Dont have to put yourself in danger but at least call the police..even though they probably wont be there speedily.
But I guess people are afraid of the corrupt cops too? Yikes

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Nydr,

I heard about a male and female robber team a few months ago in downtown POP.
The lack of action concerns me too. Dont have to put yourself in danger but at least call the police..even though they probably wont be there speedily.
But I guess people are afraid of the corrupt cops too? Yikes

I agree, the lady would not have had to put herself in danger. Call a neighbor or the police.

I realize how the police are here, but regardless i could not stand there watching a group of men breaking into someone home for two hours and do NOTHING!! Being dominican is no excuse!!

At least she could have warned my friend NOT to enter the house knowing there were men inside. She said she saw them leaving the back door when my friend was inside the house. I am a little jaded as far as dominican people go as i know they dont do anything unless it serves them personally, but i find that inexcusable (yes there are exceptions to the rule of course). To me it is as bad as the men that broke into the house in the first place.

This was in Higuey.

Anyway i am just pleased that no one did get hurt! Things can be replaced, my friend cant.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Oh, right next to my friends house is a large ferreteria with a night watchman, he could have been alerted easily by the female neighbor.

I realize he would have probably thought "They dont pay me to look after their house, im staying put...screw em!"

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Maybe she was the look-out for the robbers and alerted them when the owners came home.

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
This is so sad. I feel very sorry for your friend.
People like her neighbor make me sick. Like you said, she could have gotten help without even being noticed. It makes no sense...
SHALENA

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
I think it could well be that people will not report crime as the police may be involved in setting it up, taking the time if someone does call in, and then taking the majority of the pot on whatever they get.
I spend quite a bit of time in DR and was considering settling and buying but I must admit it really does come across as a lawless country when I read some things that go on.
I wonder if it can be as bad as that, and if it is, if it can ever be salvaged. From my understanding at some point in the legal chain someone is bound to be corrupt, if every chain has a corrupt link then i don't know if the country has any real strength in terms of credibility and so the pondering of what it is that attracts people still puzzles me.
From reading serious crimes to stories of people bringing it on themselves all over the net about DR and the justice system. Who exactly goes to jail in DR. People seem to get away with things unless they get shot first. What is the irritant of the police, I can not see that helping the public is of a huge concern and so can understand why people do not report crimes.
I am green and so is not a factual statement but as an observant person I ponder on some of these goings on, and especially why I feel drawn to get involved in such a place.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008
I think it could well be that people will not report crime as the police may be involved in setting it up, taking the time if someone does call in, and then taking the majority of the pot on whatever they get.
I spend quite a bit of time in DR and was considering settling and buying but I must admit it really does come across as a lawless country when I read some things that go on.
I wonder if it can be as bad as that, and if it is, if it can ever be salvaged. From my understanding at some point in the legal chain someone is bound to be corrupt, if every chain has a corrupt link then i don't know if the country has any real strength in terms of credibility and so the pondering of what it is that attracts people still puzzles me.
From reading serious crimes to stories of people bringing it on themselves all over the net about DR and the justice system. Who exactly goes to jail in DR. People seem to get away with things unless they get shot first. What is the irritant of the police, I can not see that helping the public is of a huge concern and so can understand why people do not report crimes.
I am green and so is not a factual statement but as an observant person I ponder on some of these goings on, and especially why I feel drawn to get involved in such a place.

If something bad happens only once every 2 years or so then, on balance, the upside is still there.
You can also largely minimize risks by being aware and taking care.
I was forever getting burgled and having my car messed with back in civilization.
It does feel more dramatic here though?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005

I have to admit stories like this do go much deeper with me than just feeling bad for a friend. I feel extemley torn about if this country is somewhere i can settle for the rest of my life. I know many people have and will continue to say that the DR is no worse than any other country, but that is NOT true.

I am very happy with my partner, we run a successful business and have a child together. Leaving the DR could be a huge risk as we have never lived anywhere else and Mr LJs spirit would die in a enviroment he could not do what he does now.

I have never been burgled in the U.K, never not been able to sleep worrying about who may enter my home with knives and guns, never had friends murdered, had intruders in my home and felt as frightened as i do here.

I of course dont hate it here, but i have a daughter to think about now and do i want her life put at risk because i made the wrong decision for her. Do i want her growing up listening to my worrying a negative thoughts about her country or growing up to be one of these people who will only do anything to help themselves.

I become more cynical and bitter everyday and i dont want to be that person, but i come across more and more reasons not to stay everyday. I knew when i came here it wasnt the paradise island some foreigners think it is, and i have always tried to find the positive, but that is becoming increasingly harder to do. This burglary is alone certainly not enough to give up on the DR, but sadly its one of a VERY long list of awful things.

I dunno!:ermm:

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
If something bad happens only once every 2 years or so then, on balance, the upside is still there.
You can also largely minimize risks by being aware and taking care.
I was forever getting burgled and having my car messed with back in civilization.
It does feel more dramatic here though?

Please dont take this the wrong way :eek:

How many times when you were burgled in your home country was a knife put to your throat or a gun to your head?

How many times did you feel you could not call the police as it would be a waste of time and they would laugh in your face?

How many times was your wife or daughter assaulted during a burglary?

Dont get me wrong being burgled anywhere is a terrible experience, but here you better have something worth stealing or your life is on the line!

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Hi Don,
I can't understand that, any chance of a slight break down or overall translation for me please.
Thanks.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
I become more cynical and bitter everyday and i dont want to be that person, but i come across more and more reasons not to stay everyday. I knew when i came here it wasnt the paradise island some foreigners think it is, and i have always tried to find the positive, but that is becoming increasingly harder to do. This burglary is alone certainly not enough to give up on the DR, but sadly its one of a VERY long list of awful things.

I dunno!:ermm:

Laura I have successful and professional Dominican friends who now live in Toronto who have told me the same frustrations about their 'own country' that you just mentioned, and that is why they have left and their friends and collegues have too or are planning to. Within the next year, 20 more couples/families are immigrating to Toronto. And these are not Dominicans who have to, due to financial reasons they, are tired of the negatives in their country and that is why they have left. That is what concerns me the most.
The sense of hopelessness about the future progress that these Dominicans have about their own country is not a good thing. If the people who are in a position to make and effect change in a country feel hopeless to the point they want to make an exodus, that is concerning but also telling.

I think it is important to talk about the realities of living in the DR, the good and the bad. So people are informed, who may be thinking about moving to paradise! Some people only want to talk about the good side or deflect the bad with a 'it happens everywhere and things are blown out of proportion'. Thats not true.

Last edited: