Has anyone ever called 911 and what the response was?

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Just wondering has any of you ever called 911 to report an emergency and if so what was the outcome? Did the police/ambulance/fire-fighters show up, and how quickly? Thanks.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Grunt + Patience

Just wondering has any of you ever called 911 to report an emergency and if so what was the outcome? Did the police/ambulance/fire-fighters show up, and how quickly? Thanks.

Would their phone work?
Would your call be related to money or food?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
only once

I called 911 once in Puerta Plata. It was four am and we witnessed a serious car wreck on the main highway. The phone rang and rang and rang. No one ever answered. This was two years ago.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
After being shot

911 no answer from Juan Dolio.

Police station - no answer as had been cut off, bill not paid.

Matilda

TOOBER_SDQ

Bronze
Nov 19, 2008
The 2 experiences I witnessed in the Capital were impressive.

A fire was stared in the center of Santiago Street near Hermanos Deligne in Gazcue at arout 12 midnight. My friend called the Fire Department and they responded in about 8 minutes and extinguished it. (For some weird reason they first ran over the fire with the truck, reversed back before getting down off the truck to extinguish the fire)

A Hotel was broken into and the bell boy badly beaten. The perp escaped but the cops reponded within 15 minutes of the call.

If I remember correct, each time the emergency number was not used. My friend had the direct numbers of the Fire Department and Police Station.

So maybe its best to have the direct number to emergency response in your area.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I would imagine that most people either have the number of the local police station handy, or the number of their favorite 'colonel'

I would not expect much from 911, if it even works.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Forget 911, I called a few weeks ago after a bad accident happened on the street in front of my house, but it rang and rang and no one answered.

Have the number of main police station in your area, ambulance and fire service in your phone and or on speed dial on home phone.

I have found some taxi drivers cards here actually list individual numbers of emergency services on the back of their business cards. Also i think they are also listed in the front of the "Paginas Amarillas".

Because of the awful address system here I.E no one has one ha ha, if i had a medical emergency with my child i would run straight out in the street and flag someone down as it takes five mins on the phone to say where you live.

Also i always leave two sets of keys seperate but in the same places every night, so in case of a fire and all these metal gates we have with numerous padlocks on you dont loose precious mins looking for them.

liam1

Bronze
Jun 9, 2004
Hmm, could anyone then provide a number which i should call in case of an emergency for the Santiago (Gurabo) area? Thanks.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
There are private ambulance companies that will answer the phone, in my case it took them 45 minutes to show up when my Grandfather fell down some stairs and broke his hip. I don't have the number now.

Standard procedure for emergencies in the DR seems to be toss whoever's hurt in the back of the nearest pickup and bounce them down to the nearest public hospital.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
please someone post these numbers here for everyone
(would they speak english?)

To post all the emergency numbers for police, ambulance and fire for all the towns in the DR would be a bit of a job for someone, DR1 members are very helpful but thats asking a bit much when looking in the front of the phone book would supply you with the relevent numbers you need.

They wont speak english, but i suggest if you live here you learn enough to give clear and correct information on the phone as your life may depend on it!

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Hmm, could anyone then provide a number which i should call in case of an emergency for the Santiago (Gurabo) area? Thanks.

Call the main office downtowm and ask for "el telefono de cuartel de Gurabo".

Polic?a Nacional
B Col?n 10, Santiago
(809) 582-2331

juanita

Bronze
Apr 22, 2004
A few years ago at 6am we had a very strong gas smell all over Santo Domingo so I called 911 and of course no answer. When I called the Bomberos they told me "we are telling everyone not to light a match" ahahah! I thought that was the funniest thing I have ever heard!!!

You actually have to dig up to find these numbers; I actually gave up looking in the phone book; had to search online, go figure!

Santo Domingo

Policia Nacional Central
809-682-2151
Polic?a Nacional Dominicana

Fire department
809-682-2000 / 2001
Cuerpo de Bomberos de Sto. Dgo.

Movimed (Ambulance)
809-255-0394

auraesther

Mar 21, 2009
I cannot help it, I am really finding this funny! LOL It's truly funny!

My worst and repetitive nightmare is that I am in need of 911, I call them and nobody comes to help me...Is this a look into my future in DR? LOL I hope I never face an emergency!

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
I've called 911 before and they either don't answer or don't respond. Having direct numbers to colonels, etc is the only way to go.

pyratt

Bronze
Jan 14, 2007
I don't dial 911 to call the police.....I prefer they find the perps where I leave them.. after I've left the scene.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I got this once as a forward e-mail from locals... I doubt the story is entirely true... but then, this is the DR so,... :cheeky:
Como llamar a la policia (en Rep. Dom.):

Yo vivo en Los Prados y tengo un sueno muy liviano; la semana pasada, en una de esas noches, note que habia alguien andando por el jardin de la casa.
Me levante silenciosamente y me quede siguiendo los leves ruidos que venian de afuera, hasta ver una silueta pasando por la ventana del bano. Como mi casa es muy segura, con rejas en las ventanas y trancas internas en las puertas, no me preocupe demasiado, pero esta claro que no iba a dejar al ladron ahi, contemplandolo tranquilamente.
Llame bajito a la policia y les informe la situacion y di mi direccion.
Me preguntaron si el ladron estaba armado o si ya estaba dentro de la casa. Dije que no y me dijeron que no habia ningun carro radio-patrulla disponible o cerca para ayudar, pero que iban a mandar a alguien si bien fuese posible.

Cinco minutos despues llame nuevamente y dije con voz calma: "Hola, hace un rato llame porque habia alguien en mi jardin. No hay necesidad de que se apuren. Yo ya mate al ladron con un tiro de escopeta calibre 12, que tengo guardada para estas situaciones! El tiro hizo un desastre sobre el tipo!"
Pasados menos de tres minutos, habia en mi calle 5 carros radio-patrulla de la policiaa, un helicoptero, una unidad de rescate, un equipo de TV, unos fanaticos de los de los derechos humanos, que no se perderian esto por nada del mundo.

Ellos agarraron al ladron in fraganti, quien estaba mirando todo con cara de asombrado. Tal vez el estuviese pensando que era la casa del Jefe de Policia. En medio del tumulto, un teniente de la policia se aproximo y me dijo: "Crei que habia dicho que habia matado al ladron?"
Yo conteste: "Creia que me habian dicho que no habia nadie disponible!?"
... J-D.