pricemart

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Good question, I look forward to hearing the answers as mi esposa told me on my birthday that she is expecting my first child!! What a birthday gift!

DavidZ

Silver
Aug 29, 2005
www.vipcigartours.com
They have diapers, wipes, formula, etc. The diapers and wipes are cheaper than La Sirena, for example...the formula about the same price.

In general, Pricemart is good for electronics/appliances, not necessarily for price, but they honor returns/warranties. American frozen and packaged foods in bulk, baked goods, patio-type furniture, car tires, pet food/cat litter...

Check expiration dates and compare prices (the price thing is the same as US....Costco, Sam's etc are not always cheaper than other options)

Reactions: J D Sauser

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
As David Z stated, always compare prices!
PriceMart certainly always makes for a nice excursion "back" to the "world" many of us come from or have experienced.
I think their main attractive is AVAILABILITY of certain items which are comparably difficult to get otherwise in this country.
Also, they do seem able to be consistently able to carry significantly better offers for large LCD and Plasma TV's and Barilla pasta :D than anybody else around.
But then, they have traps scattered around the store too.

... J-D.

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Usually towards the back of the store...,

They carry a few child car seats, cribs, strollers. The prices for nappies (diapers or whatever you call them) is better than anywhere else if you bulk buy but still incredible. Wipes too (do NOT buy their own brand, I'm not kidding they smell of fish).

La Serena has a good selection of cribs and car seats upstairs while National carries just about everything you are ever likely to need (steralisers, bottles, stairgates, alarms etc.). They also carry "known" brands which are just soooooooo much better and safer than the Dominican stuff which quite simply would not be allowed in the UK.

If you get stuck for one particular item let me know and I'll tell you where to get it.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
They have diapers, wipes, formula, etc. The diapers and wipes are cheaper than La Sirena, for example...the formula about the same price.

In general, Pricemart is good for electronics/appliances, not necessarily for price, but they honor returns/warranties. American frozen and packaged foods in bulk, baked goods, patio-type furniture, car tires, pet food/cat litter...

Check expiration dates and compare prices (the price thing is the same as US....Costco, Sam's etc are not always cheaper than other options)

22 oz Alpo Classic dog food is 91 pesos per can, compared to 70 something per can at Tropical in POP (with a 5% company discount).

Pricesmart is not always the 'smartest' choice, but I like shopping there. Easy to buy in bulk, e.g. the dog food is in cases not individual cans. At Tropical, I have to ask the manager to make the available the cans in cases.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
A suggestion:
If you buy any individual item like a TV, perhaps anything over 10,000 pesos
you can have a 5% discount.
You need to talk to the sales manager (not a floor person) and ask at least 5% off and offer them cash. If they tell you- no, our prices are already discounted, just say- OK, I'll use my MasterCard (No Visa!) from now on for everything.
CardNet who process MC charge 5% fee, VisaNet 3%. They will lose 5% (sometimes more) either way...
You can use the same tactics pretty much everywhere who accept credit card.
Just ask them nicely and you will have it! ;)

The Hun