Computer Geeks please help!!

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
www.thecircusofdreams.com
Hi there

I have been sending copies of scanned invoices as attachments and everyone was recieving them no problem.

Now it seems that no one can open them. Some have been word documents which i have made sure i sent in word97-2003 format incase they didnt have Office. But documents i have scanned and then sent seem to be the main problem.

I have gone to my sent list and sent myself the same emails with attachments and i could open them no problem. I use hotmail and so do my reciprients.

If anyone could help i would be greatful as i have to send out invoices or i wont get paid :disappoin

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Hi Laurajane,

I have experienced the exact same problem and I suspect it's because you have the older version of Microsoft office.

I have the newer version and it is causing problems with the older version.

I am no computer Geek so I am guessing here.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I use Microsoft Office Word 2003 & it can be received and opened by a friend who uses a later version of Word. But my operating system is Widows XP not Windows 97. However, when she sends me docs from her later version of Word & I make alterations, she then can't open the file.

I have the feeling it is more to do with Windows 97. There are converter systems you can download like
Download details: Word 97/2000 Converter for Word 6 (Windows 16-bit Operating Systems)

I don't know that that will be the right one for you, but you might find useful info on that page.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Sometimes you need to save the document but then rename to add the suffix (e.g. .jpg, .doc) manually for it to be openable.

If they have Gmail they can use the view HTML option and cut and paste to a new document - doesn't work for graphics though.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
I just clicked on the attachment i sent and selected properties, Under "open with" it is currently set to "nero photoshop viewer".

I can change the open with to a different option like microsoft office word, but does that only mean that i would view it in that format or the reciever would view it in word if i change it, as maybe they dont have Nero photoshop viewer?

Does that make sense :ermm:

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Sometimes there is an option for the user's workstation to automatically select a program to open an attachment. This way whatever image viewer is available on the user's computer - it will be automatically selected to open and display the image. Maybe you can try setting it this way?

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
I just clicked on the attachment i sent and selected properties, Under "open with" it is currently set to "nero photoshop viewer".

I can change the open with to a different option like microsoft office word, but does that only mean that i would view it in that format or the reciever would view it in word if i change it, as maybe they dont have Nero photoshop viewer?

Does that make sense :ermm:

If the image is named *.jpg they should be able to open it with Internet explorer, windows explorer and/or any image viewer. It's an image, you open it with an image viewer or paint program. I can't open JPG with Word but I can open a Word document .doc and Insert the image (JPG). But Word compatibility is another issue (.doc and .docx).

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
If the image is named *.jpg they should be able to open it with Internet explorer, windows explorer and/or any image viewer. It's an image, you open it with an image viewer or paint program. I can't open JPG with Word but I can open a Word document .doc and Insert the image (JPG). But Word compatibility is another issue (.doc and .docx).

So do i change the "open with" option in properties to internet explorer?

And will that mean that the viewers computer will open it in the same programme?

Sorry but i am a bit slow ha ha!

margaret

Bronze
Aug 9, 2006
So do i change the "open with" option in properties to internet explorer?

And will that mean that the viewers computer will open it in the same programme?

Sorry but i am a bit slow ha ha!
You said you are using JPG and Hotmail and they are using Hotmail. I don't understand why they can't open it. (Are they Dominican.... sorry I had to get some DR content in there?! ) Maybe it's a problem with the newer version Windows Live? Or security settings that they have? Tell them to copy the JPG to their desktop and open it. Their PC will use a default to view .jpg.

You can set your own PC to open JPG with the image viewer of your choice but to my knowledge you can't dictate to other users that their computer will open a .jpg with a particular software.

Make sure the files are really named .jpg. Why don't you send your invoices in PDF format? :) If you want me to test them, send me your email address.

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
You said you are using JPG and Hotmail and they are using Hotmail. I don't understand why they can't open it. (Are they Dominican.... sorry I had to get some DR content in there?! ) Maybe it's a problem with the newer version Windows Live? Or security settings that they have? Tell them to copy the JPG to their desktop and open it. Their PC will use a default to view .jpg.

You can set your own PC to open JPG with the image viewer of your choice but to my knowledge you can't dictate to other users that their computer will open a .jpg with a particular software.

Make sure the files are really named .jpg. Why don't you send your invoices in PDF format? :) If you want me to test them, send me your email address.

I have to print the invoices then sign them and add the company stamp, so i then have to scan them, save and send via attachment.

Please tell me there is an easier way of doing this!!

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
I have to print the invoices then sign them and add the company stamp, so i then have to scan them, save and send via attachment.

Please tell me there is an easier way of doing this!!

Why can't you create a letterhead document with your signature and company stamp on it and add the numbers then send as a pdf or jpg document?

There is really no need to print and scan the docs, unless you need hardcopy for the taxman.

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If I am understanding the problem correctly, the clients can open the Word docs but not the scanned pix,
Your Nero default program may be causing the problem.
Try it in BMP (bitmap) and see if that works. (Save as BMP)
The files will be bigger and take longer to send and download, but if it resolves the problem then you will know it was Nero causing the problem.
If it is Nero, just uninstall the damed thing and use Microsoft's own programs for opening jpgs (Jpegs).

May 5, 2007
LJ

Bottom line; IF you are scanning the documents they no longer have any relation to WORD/Excel etc, they are now .bmp, .jpeg, .jpg .tif or some "image" file

Observe what your scanner saves scanned files as (when scanning you should see something like "saving file as Invoice2009.jpg" and use a program that opens this type of file (Inform your friend)

They WILL NOT be able to modify, change or alter the file, you are simply sending them a picture of the original document

I should ask why you don't send the original Word Doc. as an attachment? If some of your friends do not have WORD/OFFICE, save your original Docs as .rtf files and I would be surprised if they don't have a program capable of opening such, even wordpad will open a rtf file. If they do not, there are plenty of freeware programs for download that will solve the problem

Good luck

Now if only I could figure out Dominican Customs control so easily :-(

Hi there

I have been sending copies of scanned invoices as attachments and everyone was recieving them no problem.

Now it seems that no one can open them. Some have been word documents which i have made sure i sent in word97-2003 format incase they didnt have Office. But documents i have scanned and then sent seem to be the main problem.

I have gone to my sent list and sent myself the same emails with attachments and i could open them no problem. I use hotmail and so do my reciprients.

If anyone could help i would be greatful as i have to send out invoices or i wont get paid :disappoin

Reactions: laurajane

Alyonka

Silver
Jun 3, 2006
Another problem might be security settings on your users' email accounts. I, for example, have to download images attached to the email messages, before I can open them. This is just the way my yahoo account is set up, for security reasons, as I understand. So, maybe, your customers can open the images, but only after they have been saved?

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
If I am understanding the problem correctly, the clients can open the Word docs but not the scanned pix,
Your Nero default program may be causing the problem.
Try it in BMP (bitmap) and see if that works. (Save as BMP)
The files will be bigger and take longer to send and download, but if it resolves the problem then you will know it was Nero causing the problem.
If it is Nero, just uninstall the damed thing and use Microsoft's own programs for opening jpgs (Jpegs).

Someone yesterday said they could not open a simple word document sent as an attachment. I have resent it in word97-2003 but am waiting for him to respond and tell me if he could open it or not.

As lambada said Rocky, I cant belive you are on holiday and we can still count on you to help us lost DR1ers. Thanks so much xx

laurajane

Bronze
May 23, 2005
Why can't you create a letterhead document with your signature and company stamp on it and add the numbers then send as a pdf or jpg document?

There is really no need to print and scan the docs, unless you need hardcopy for the taxman.

What programme would i use for creating that? It is something that i have thought about before, but i dont know how to create it.

Beads

Bronze
May 21, 2006
How about simplifying all this and just using adobe acrobat to make a pdf file instead. The full version of Adobe Acrobat will let you scan and edit documents and save a final pdf file that you can email to people which can no longer be editted.

This saves the problem of what program to use to open you files to the people receiving them. They use a free acrobat reader program any version of windows can find on its own if it is not already installed.