Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, have got useful information for my expected trip.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to put this thread in PDF format on my phone and use it as a reference guide for my next visit!

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Men/woman: Wear a t-shirt with AERO POSTAL written on it with big letters, and jeans // men: ...& wear a baseball cap

4. Likes Celt202 liked this post
    Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Buy knockoff Nikes at Duarte con Paris or any decent pulga.

When they fall apart fix them with a coqui.

Add Hollister t-shirts to the mix.

Use the word vaina frequently.

6. Likes acmike liked this post
    Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gadfly View Post
    Men/woman: Wear a t-shirt with AERO POSTAL written on it with big letters, and jeans // men: ...& wear a baseball cap
    I love when I see a Dominican guy wearing a t-shirt that says "Little Princess", or something to that effect or using a Mini Mouse book bag.

8. Likes NanSanPedro liked this post
    Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Garyexpat View Post
    I love when I see a Dominican guy wearing a t-shirt that says "Little Princess", or something to that effect or using a Mini Mouse book bag.
    I like the "HOLISTER" Tshirts. How do you it is not an original? I was asked!

Post Thanks / Like

This thread was started a long time ago and I get the feeling that I know @Juanita. If I am correct she comes from Canada and I went the same elementary school as her and she moved back to Canada. If I am wrong I just want to say she has great advice. My wife is from here and I am always surrounded by her family, but when I lived here for a year I did often venture alone many times, day and night but knew how to blend in and always answered back with humor. Only one incident got nasty when I dealt with a broker/Transport company who I hired to bring my 20’ft container to my house. He was supposed to tow the container, instead he decided to transfer my all my furniture and belongings into a 45 ft truck! I explained to him that the streets were too narrow for him to get the truck to my house. His response was the typical « Don’t worry my friend ». I had only paid half up front so when his truck arrived at 10:00 PM and was 3 km’s away from being able to deliver to my home, he stated that he respected his end of the deal. He clearly did not so did not pay him the rest. He started threatening me etc., and I simply told him that if he continued, that the police would visit him. My wife’s family had close friends as Police Officers and paid him a visit! As for all my furniture and personal belongings, I had to hire people on the spot so late at night to empty the truck and transfer everything to multiple pick up trucks running multiple trips! It was a nightmare but my wife’s family and friends really came through that night and I compensated everyone kindly for having bailed us out! My original plan was to live here for three years but finally only stayed one year since I had more bad experiences than good, such as my one year old close to dying from the worst strain of dengue hemorrhagic fever, coming to the aid of a women who had just been stabbed multiple times from her husband etc! My wife could not stomach living here, despite being born here! So we went back to Canada. We are back to visit family and vacation and for that I love it here!

11. Likes MikeFisher, nekokatt liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

TIPPING

It is neither Dominican culture nor practice to tip at non-tourist establishments. You are not expected to. At tourist places, most tourists tip, and tips are expected but not nearly in the way that they are in places where tipping is customary, as in the U.S. In the U.S. tipping is mandatory, as least it is considered to be so socially, unless the service is really egregious. If you don't tip here at a tourist establishment, that is not seen as quite the same infraction, assuming you had decent service.

If you live here or find your favorite hangout and become a regular, it is in your best interest to tip. For example, I don't drink alcohol, so I'm not a money-maker. I may sit at a table for three hours, smoke a cigar, drink coffee, and read, O.K., and people watch. I will then generally leave a tip of say, RD$ 50, or 75, or 100, as the case may be. It is the right thing to do, taking up a table for a long time, and it nearly guarantees better service in the future.

Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sangria View Post
    ....so now nobody is allowed to wear shorts?
    You can do whatever you want. That's not the question. The question is: Do you want to follow the social mores and get along?

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lucas61 View Post
    TIPPING

It is neither Dominican culture nor practice to tip at non-tourist establishments. You are not expected to. At tourist places, most tourists tip, and tips are expected but not nearly in the way that they are in places where tipping is customary, as in the U.S. In the U.S. tipping is mandatory, as least it is considered to be so socially, unless the service is really egregious. If you don't tip here at a tourist establishment, that is not seen as quite the same infraction, assuming you had decent service.

If you live here or find your favorite hangout and become a regular, it is in your best interest to tip. For example, I don't drink alcohol, so I'm not a money-maker. I may sit at a table for three hours, smoke a cigar, drink coffee, and read, O.K., and people watch. I will then generally leave a tip of say, RD$ 50, or 75, or 100, as the case may be. It is the right thing to do, taking up a table for a long time, and it nearly guarantees better service in the future.
    while i completely agree that tipping is here in the DR not teh same typical and sure not mandatory as it is in the USA, it is not correct that tipping is not dominican culture or practice.
    it is quiet common/usual to tip at dominican establishments away from any tourist shops as a dominican your car washer and the same your bar service or waitress at a restaurant, the guy who carries your shopping to your car at the supermarket etc etc. in way smaller amounts/% of the purchased services, YES, but it is not untypical or unknown.
    Mike

www.MikeFisherPuntaCana.com
    [email protected]
    Punta Cana/Cap Cana/Dominican Republic
    Mike Fisher Facebook Group on

Page 31 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2129303132 LastLast