Shipping container with residency

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
As anyone lately shipped household goods in a container to the DR after obtaining temporary residency, there are posts on this subject but are quite old posts and not by many who have actually done it. How easy or hard was it, was there any costs involved? any rules on what you can and cant bring, do the goods have to be used? any more info and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Craig

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
We did it and though somewhat time consuming it was a fairly easy process for us (we had an excellent broker). We ended up saving multile thousands of dollars.
PM me if you want the broker's contact info.

Bob K

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
As anyone lately shipped household goods in a container to the DR after obtaining temporary residency, there are posts on this subject but are quite old posts and not by many who have actually done it. How easy or hard was it, was there any costs involved? any rules on what you can and cant bring, do the goods have to be used? any more info and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks Craig

Search posts by "The Hun", he did his move last summer and it is still relevant.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
We did it in February. New and used goods will be free. Your shipping agent should prepare a Spanish list of the items. There is a trip to the port of entry to verify the shipment. Then a trip to SD at the AGD for an interview. Then the goods can be released for delivery.
It should all be tax free except if you ahve a car then there will be some tax applied to it - the rate varies.
We used Hispaniola Freight in SD . They did all the translations and intermediary work including the license plates for the car. VERY good to deal with.
Just time consuming. The advice at the AGD was to stay away from the north coast (POP). We were at Caucedo - easy to access and close to the airport.

Good luck

Simon & Nicky

Bronze
Feb 3, 2004
www.simon-hall.co.uk
Use Bob K's Guys

I could not believe how easy they made it for him. I waited for the trap to spring and it never did. Apparantly things have changed over the past few years but people still get stung.

Are you sure you want to bring a container? You can get everything you need here now - it's not like it was ten years ago.

holland1974

Aug 13, 2008
Just got back and yes you can get everything you need, you just dont have much of a choice as you do over here. I will have to get electrical appliances over there as the mains voltage is different.
Craig

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Availability is one thing.. the cost of duplication is another.
I researched the car importing on this site and came out way ahead - just $2,000 duty on a 2005 Jeep.
We brought our spare fridge and whatever furniture we wanted plus all the miscellaneous things that are hard to find in the DR or too costly there.... BBQ, etc.
This is a second home for us but its nice to have familiar surroundings.
The appliances are not that much more, we found.
All in all, it depends on how much you have to bring or want to bring - simple arithmetic, really. I gave you most of the costs in the PM. Just take it from there.
Good Luck !! :)

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Thanks for the info guys, BTW, where are all of the naysayers anymore that were so adamant about not trying to do a move to the DR much less importing a vehicle? They must have moved to greener pastures. :)