Departure Tax is bugging me, why US$$

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Why should this be paid in US Dollars? I have paid this in pesos before without problem.
Why are people consistently persistent that it must be paid in US Dollars?

Thanks,

Bill

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
Not sure which airline you are travelling with but most of them include it in the ticket for the last couple of years.

Is it difficult for you to access US$? Not quite sure why it is "bugging" you, its just another rule to abide by.

Reactions: Tamborista

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
No not my overstay fine, that is separate.
I am working in the North Sea at the moment and so fly to UK to catch my hele, to work.
On the tickets I buy from UK to Domincian it is not included in the price. I have an entry and exit TAX to pay. My point is, why on earth is this Tax in US Dollars in a country that uses Dominican Pesos as national currency.
Why is this Tax not exclusively in Pesos?

cougar

Jan 27, 2009
i bought a coffe in the airport and they wanted dollers i gave them pesos they got mad

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
No not my overstay fine, that is separate.
I am working in the North Sea at the moment and so fly to UK to catch my hele, to work.
On the tickets I buy from UK to Domincian it is not included in the price. I have an entry and exit TAX to pay. My point is, why on earth is this Tax in US Dollars in a country that uses Dominican Pesos as national currency.
Why is this Tax not exclusively in Pesos?
If the SS PELICAN comes visiting your rig, please yell out to Jan Kumar & say 'Hi' from me.

In answer to your question re U$D instead of RD Pesos, the reason is because the Government NEEDS U$D to pay for goods purchased that are valued (& need to be paid for) in U$D. The Exit & Entry taxes are an easy & efficient way of doing this & it alleviates the need to 'BUY' U$D from an expensive 'Exchange Market'. Try rounding up your offer of RD Pesos to the nearest RD $500 & I am sure you will have less of a problem in getting the collecting officer to accept your pesos! :pirate: :cheeky:

By the way - if you had your Residencia, you wouldn't have to pay Entry Tax AND you would be able to get your gun licence!! ~ Grahame.

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
The country pays its foreign debt or other offshore transactions in US dollars, such as payments for petroleum. The payment of arrival and departure taxes in dollars is a way for the goverment to acquire the currency without having to make costly currency exchange transactions in international banking system.

Regards,
PJT

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Thank you for that clear answer, very much less confusing than that of the one above.
Thankyou.
Sorry you had trouble understanding my post FFF, I'll try & keep my responses more simple to you in the future!

The SS PELICAN is a supply ship that visits the North Atlantic Oil rigs. Jan Kumar is the Navigating officer on her, an ex- resident of the DR & sometime poster on DR1. I was asking you to say 'Hello' to him if his vessel should call at your rig whilst you were there. If you tell me which Rig you are on I'll ask him to introduce himself.

Paragraph two said the same thing as PJT's response as I am sure you have now realised.

Getting your residency refers to getting Residencia for this country. Having that (& your cedula) means you do not have to pay an ENTRY tax each time you come into the country. You can just sail through the ENTRY hall at the airport of entry by flashing your Cedula.

Hope this has explained it better &/or easier for you to understand. ~ Grahame.;)

Yachtmaster

Jul 2, 2007
www.genesisbvi.com
I heard a rumor a while back that the DR is looking into "dollarizing" the local currency......?? Other countries using the US dollar as currency is not unheard of. The British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean remain a British overseas territory, however they have adopted the US dollar as the official currency. :bunny:

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I heard a rumor a while back that the DR is looking into "dollarizing" the local currency......?? Other countries using the US dollar as currency is not unheard of. The British Virgin Islands in the Caribbean remain a British overseas territory, however they have adopted the US dollar as the official currency. :bunny:

Countries in the Americas outside the US that use the dollar either as its official currency or has it's own currency pegged to it.

El Salvador- Abolished its own currency for the dollar several years ago
Ecuador- Abolished its own currency the Sucre in 2002 and adopted the US Dollar as its currency
Panama- Dollarized since its independence in 1903 They call it the Balboa but it is US dollars as they don't print their own money. They just use American notes.
Turks and Caicos Islands- US dollar is official currency
British Virgin Islands- US dollar
Bahamas- The Bahamian dollar has the exact same value as the US dollar and both are used interchangeably
Belize- One US dollar is worth 2 Belize dollars and both are used interchangeably in everyday transactions.
Cuba- Cuban Convertible peso is pegged to the dollar at a rate of US$1.08 (though dollars are no longer accepted in commercial transactions. They must be exchanged for CUC prior to use.)
Cayman Islands- its currency is pegged to the US dollar.