Would you prefer to live in Santo Domingo or Puerto Plata? And why?

Freefallfatty

Gone sailing!
Apr 20, 2009
Why would you have to choose from the 2. If I had the choice of where to be with no obligations then I would live in neither. What are the requirements for your lifestyle?
If I had to live in Pto Plata I would be very depressed as it has no personality what so ever, the people, the town, the life is very uninteresting to me.
I still am unsure what to make of SD, I hear great things yet am still waiting to be struck by them.

At the moment Pto Plata would be a the bottom of the places I would want to live in the DR. If you are talking about surrounding villages also then the answer may be different.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I live in Puerto Plata, and I go often to Santo Domingo.

There is nothing to do in Puerto Plata, except you got some beaches and towns like Sosua and Cabarete to visit. If one needs a big city, Santiago is only 1hr drive away. You can get away with not speaking Spanish in POP, as there are so many foreigners here and many Dominicans speak English because of the tourism activity here.

Santo Domingo has much more culture, civilization, shopping, restaurants, etc The downside of Santo Domingo is traffic. You cannot get away with not speaking Spanish in SD.

Just my opinion of course.

J D Sauser

Silver
Nov 20, 2004
www.hispanosuizainvest.com
I live in Puerto Plata by choice.
I knew most of the DR before I made that choice.
It's not my first expatriate experience and places I staid include cities in Latin America too, so, I think I know what to look out for.
Yes, as far a work, economy goes, there is not too much going on in Puerto Plata... maybe indeed too little, mostly limited to peddling Real Estate or "tourism".
Certainly, Santo Domingo has way more to offer in that perspective. However, I've found that before I'd live in SD, there are other big cities in Latin America which have more charm, more real culture and a much more diversified economy than SD I would rather choose from.

Without it being in anyway to be interpreted as anything bad, I don't see that Dominicanism mixes well with cosmopolitanism... to me, one or the other goes lost in the process.

But then, that's just me. I could see myself living around La Vega too... in other words, as far as the DR goes, I prefer small cities.

... J-D.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
live_for_life, if you're looking for somewhere to live for yourself, I think you'll be very happy in Santo Domingo. What happened to purchasing the property near San Isidro?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
live_for_life, if you're looking for somewhere to live for yourself, I think you'll be very happy in Santo Domingo. What happened to purchasing the property near San Isidro?
It probably 'flew out of the window without a pilots licence'!!

I agree with Lambada that Santo Domingo will give you far more pleasures in that there is SO much more to do down there.

Puerto Plata is only suitable for us 'Boring old Fa...' :cheeky: that enjoy a safer & quieter lifestyle! ;) ~ Grahame.

Santo Domingo is great if you can deal with the heat of a big city and the traffic. Santo Domingo is where you can take care of all your personal business without a hassle, for example:I lost my cell phone in Sosua and was just trying to buy a new phone with the same number from the claro store in Sosua(playero) was told I had to goto Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata claro office told me they had noone who could do it for 2 days, long story short had to drive to Santiago just to get a phone. Puerto Plata and surrounding towns offer beaches and lots of expats if you miss your homeland but not much else to do other than eat,drink,swim and some other indoor activities. Personally I like both Puerto Plata and Santo Domingo, Ideally I would like to spend time in both locations.