Current Social Problems

carmbrus

May 6, 2009
Recently moving to Santo Domingo, I work for a newspaper as a photojournalist. I have been researching what is going on in the country for nearly a month now trying to get my barrings on what are some local issues for me to represent. Figuring the best way to determine what is on your minds, I thought I'd ask for your responses as to what do you think is one of the biggest problems in Santo Domingo today? I know poverty is huge, but what else is going on? Is there a housing crisis? Problems you'd like to see fixed with public transportation? What is bothering you the most, and how would you like to see it fixed (if there is even a way of fixing it)? Or even, what would you just like to know more about or like to see a photo essay or read a story about?
Much thanks,
Christine

aross

Nov 15, 2007
Recently moving to Santo Domingo, I work for a newspaper as a photojournalist. I have been researching what is going on in the country for nearly a month now trying to get my barrings on what are some local issues for me to represent. Figuring the best way to determine what is on your minds, I thought I'd ask for your responses as to what do you think is one of the biggest problems in Santo Domingo today? I know poverty is huge, but what else is going on? Is there a housing crisis? Problems you'd like to see fixed with public transportation? What is bothering you the most, and how would you like to see it fixed (if there is even a way of fixing it)? Or even, what would you just like to know more about or like to see a photo essay or read a story about?
Much thanks,
Christine

Christine,

All throughout the DR we have many wonderful people, places, happenings and things in general. Why don't you focus on the positive aspects of life here instead of the negative. I for one am sick and tired of reading articles/posts by people who arrive and having spend a month more or less here then report or post about the negatives and problems expecting their brilliance will change things overnight.

Thandie

Bronze
Nov 27, 2007
Christine,

All throughout the DR we have many wonderful people, places, happenings and things in general. Why don't you focus on the positive aspects of life here instead of the negative. I for one am sick and tired of reading articles/posts by people who arrive and having spend a month more or less here then report or post about the negatives and problems expecting their brilliance will change things overnight.

Aross,
The OP asked a question which included... "Or even, what would you just like to know more about or like to see a photo essay or read a story about? "
That does not sound like someone who is not open to include the positive side too.
Instead of attacking Christine why dont you recommend some of the wonderful people, places and happenings you are aware of? That would be a more constructive approach.

Reactions: Chirimoya

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Might I inquire what it is that you know 'more about' which you could tell us? I'm always open to learning. :)

I know that your English skills surpass mine, but I'm not sure that she mean what you are inferring. I might be wrong but I believe she meant " Subjects that people would be interested in knowing more about to give her some ideas"

carmbrus

May 6, 2009
Some clarifications:

I am open for anything, whether good or bad. I have been covering both things, trying not to be too heavy on one side or another, trying to be balanced in what I'm covering. I just specificially asked for the bad because you guys would be the ones to know that more so than I do because you've been living here so long. Sorry if I offended any of you guys. To be fair I have been covering stuff like art and projects to help the community, so don't think I'm just to exploit the bad.

And what I ment by stuff you would like to know more about is that it could just be something like what goes on in the baseball academies, why certain things happen, etc. My job is to research topics and write on them as a reporter. I don't say that I know more than you, just that my job is to inform, and without knowing the needs of the community, I cannot do that. I'm not trying to say that I know more than you, because I will be the first to admit that I don't, all that I want to know is what is of interest to you guys.

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
You can't cover it all.
One topic per month or two, to do anything justice. From straight outta journalism at a university I went to a latin country for a few months to work for a newspaper and can identify with your plight. Write/shoot what YOU like and if it is well done the viewers or readers will follow. If you're not interested in a subject it's hard to make it interesting.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Ah, the OP is back. Yes I agree with tflea, follow subjects you are passionate about. Once you get to know a few more expats you'll possibly realise that asking them what they want to read about doesn't mean that they will then read it when produced. You could get a whole lot of red herrings or even helpful suggestions for you, but that doesn't necessarily translate to people reading the article. So cover the areas which you are interested in and, if it's good, people will read it. And word to the wise, if you are living here, best to stay away from subjects which might be fascinating to the reader but somewhat terminal for the writer ;).

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I know that your English skills surpass mine,
This is TRUE Bob ...... even I get problems arguing the English Language with Lambada!! :cheeky:

but I'm not sure that she mean what you are inferring.
I would disagree with your interpretation bearing in mind the heading of the thread "Current Social Problems". This indicated to me that the OP was more after the negative aspects rather than the positive ones.

I might be wrong but I believe she meant " Subjects that people would be interested in knowing more about to give her some ideas"
As always our problem - two languages separated by a Great Big ocean. :cheeky: :ermm:

I thank the OP for the clarification. As others have pointed out there are MANY positive things to report on & photo shoot. One of your biggest decisions is to link your articles/photos to the market you are going to be reaching - what we in the DR might find interesting & worth reporting might NOT be what the US readership would want to know about. My desire would be to have further expose ob Drugs & corruption, bigger corruption stories & exposes of the higher ranked politicians/armed forces etc etc etc drug moguls. These two subjects are 'HOT' topics for Dominicans but their exposure in photos & strong language might mean a shorter stay in the DR than you had planned! :pirate: :ermm: :paranoid: ~ Grahame.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Not sure if you're covering this for a Dominican or foreign market... that may make some difference in what is 'interesting'. Some potential topics on social issues that could be covered in the capital:

1) orphanages
2) contrast of rich/poor lifestyles (a day in the life)
3) medical facilities - again possible contrast of facilities for rich/poor
4) prison conditions
5) homosexual life
6) career women
7) education/schools
8) crime
9) and a DR1 favorite - relationships between foreigners & dominicans
10) underemployment

chola1978

Bronze
Mar 20, 2006
First welcome to DR1
now to get right to the meet of your question.
Please consider the impact negative or positive on your take of the Dominican Republic and giving your professional opinion.
i dot know your journalistic skills so I cant judge your quality..
Now as a Dominican I am always in the offensive to only portrait the good things of my country.. you will not find anything bad here that is not found in any other country..
But you might find something of interest depending on who you ask.
what is your target market., how long do you have , who are you going to publish for etc...
I would like to know more.. or just do what many of us have done .. live for a while here in DR and then you will have a better idea of what to ask.. but remember dr1 does not represent the Dominican people or even a significant % of the Dominican population.. this is a niche market..so or interest might not be the interest of a nation.

Reactions: ExtremeR

carmbrus

May 6, 2009
CFA123 and everybody else--thank you greatly for your responses. They really do help.

The paper is an on-line English speaking paper, so although we claim that the market is all Dominicans, by the nature of the paper, that is obvoiusly not the case because it cannot reach all Dominicans. So I would say it is geared more toward people like yourselves, English speaking and moving here and wanting to know what is going on, future tourists, and even those who just want to practice their English by reading some current events in English. Oh, and it is called The Dominican Today. I think that answered all the questions..

heliace

On Vacation!
Mar 27, 2004
Hi Christine;
Welcome to the D.R.(forget about the 1). In my opinion, you should write about what you see through your eyes. Many people on this forum have ulterior motives, ie: businesses or real estate holdings to protect, pride of citizenship or resident status, years of experience..pfft, or just a feeling of superiority,etc.
False pride is rampant here along with a false sense of superiority.
Be careful of any advice given here,( mine included)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Ditto what Grahame said... If you are actually an investigative reporter with a lot of courage there is a huge drug/crack problem here which could use sooo much more coverage than it is getting..... but be sure that you understand that reporters have been killed covering stories here.

otherwise, I would get out of the city, and away from the more popular coast towns and live for a while inside some small town or city -like Monte Plata or Moca or Constanza and do a story on what is beautiful and grand inside the country. This is stuff that even most Dominicans don't know since almost half the population lives in the Capital....and there is a big tourism push to seeing su pais al dentro......

you can pm me for more.... I am a journalist as well.

good luck and be sure to have your press pass on you-- but be careful.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I posted that after deleting some off-topic posts - sorry - I should have made it clear. But those who were deleted will have taken note :) I hope.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Another thing that could be interesting... focusing on small entrepreneurs and how they make a living. Whether it's a guy selling oranges on the street, with a small colmado, junk collectors, or whatever odd/brilliant ways people find to put food on their table.

Also, the art scene is a possible topic for coverage, focusing not only on the work but on the artists.

Perhaps even the elderly population and how they live and are taken care of by family or whatever means.