Vimenca Information?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
I have done a search here but not finding what I'm lookikng for.

I sent an email to the person the Sosua office told me to, but no one replied.

I want to set up an account so I can send packages to myself here via Florida and can't find a phone number on their website.

Anyone have first experience with them, and then any contact information. The Sosua office was useless on rates, etc.

Appreciate any advice, feedback, or info to further my search.

Thanks.

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Thanks so much. I called, found out how to set up an account - online - and the rates - much better - $6 first lb, $1.75 after. However, the one caveat that I was told is that the dimensions of the box go into the calculation. In other words, if the box weighs 2 lbs and the dimensions add up to 10 you pay for 10 lbs.

Sounds like a perfect solution for me when sending a box ahead of time to my coming down for several months at a time.

Thanks again for all the details. Appreciate it.

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
Thanks so much. I called, found out how to set up an account - online - and the rates - much better - $6 first lb, $1.75 after. However, the one caveat that I was told is that the dimensions of the box go into the calculation. In other words, if the box weighs 2 lbs and the dimensions add up to 10 you pay for 10 lbs.

Sounds like a perfect solution for me when sending a box ahead of time to my coming down for several months at a time.

Thanks again for all the details. Appreciate it.

What you are talking about is common in the shipping business and is called "cubing".

Usually you pay for the actual weight or the "cubed" weight whichever is more. In the shipping business in Canada it is common to use a cubed weight of 10 lb. per cubic foot so if you were to ship a 2 cubic foot box (cubed weight 2 cu. ft. X 10 lb.= 20 lb cubic weight) which actually weighed 10 lb. on the scale; you would pay for 20 lb.

In order to know your real costs you should verify the weight per cubic foot or cubic meter they are charging so you can know approximately what your costs should be. Once the package is gone it's too late, you are then at the shipper's mercy.

Gregg

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
In the past I have sent several packages, using a friend's account and EPS and b/c I put a value under $100, I've never paid for anything but the actual shipping. And in one case the box looked like it had never been opened.

Jan 17, 2009
EPS is just too expensive. I paid US$22 for a 3 lb package with a 32 oz jar of maple syrup. It's the fuel surcharge and the 16% itbis on top of their charges that makes it so expensive.

Does anyone know if Vivenca also has this fuel surcharge? I looked at their webpage but couldn't tell from there. They also list an 8% VAT tax instead of the 16% ITBIS.

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I use them a lot, and pay only for the shipping if the value of the goods are less than US$ 200.00. If it's more than that, depends what you bringing (electronics, bicycle, etc..) the duty is 5% and up + 16% ITBIS
Sometimes it is actually cheaper to break up your order for example:
instead of ordering 2 whatever for $ 150/each as one order (one box) total value of $ 300, and paying 5% - $ 15 duty and 16% ITBIS -$ 48 Total of $63, better to get them as 2 separate order and save the $63.
Whenever you can, keep it under $200 or ask your shipper to keep it under $200 ;) they will work with you.
Vimenpaq always open your box. I have not seen any unopened box so far.
Nothing was missing (yet) , and the boxes where re-taped.
Their reason was that they have to check for prohibited items and have to find the invoice in the box. Most of my shipper put the invoice outside, but the boxes where still open, so I guess they DO their job in this case. ;)

The Hun

Reactions: Expat-in-Cabarete

TheHun

May 4, 2008
Another interesting note on the lack of transparency at customs. The duty, as I understand it, is supposed to be charged only if a single unit costs more than $200, not on items under that value, but the Hun has observed that they may charge duty if the price of combined items is over $200.

Anybody else have clarification on what seems to be an incorrect practice at customs?

And I agree that EPS is way too expensive.

First I thought that also. I have received few boxes with multiple items and some of it was over $200/each and did not have to pay taxes, the other times I had to.
When I asked why? the answer was : "your packages might went through customs on a Friday at 4:30" ;)
Also the DR customs can re-evaluate all your items if they want to and your $5.00 toothbrush can worth $201.00 -regardless of the invoice.
I guess they are just too lazy to check individual items in the box and just looking at the total value??
The guy at VimenPaq told me to try to keep the value of every package under $200.
Have you seen any rules, laws, regulations working here 24/7 ??:confused:

The Hun

TheHun

May 4, 2008
I talked to my VP agent. He told me again, if you want to save the duty / tax on your shipment the VALUE/SHIPMENT has to be below US$ 200.00 and not the individual items.

The Hun

Reactions: windeguy
Status
Not open for further replies.