Getting married in DR (do I have the right info, please help)

njswift10141980

May 11, 2009
Good day everyone,
from what I've read I'm going to need the following papers 1. passport 2.birth certificate 3.Single status affidavit. And they all have to be prepared at the DR consulate (and since I'm in NJ from what I've seen the closest one to me is in NY, right?). One last question, do all the papers have to translated?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Here's the info,

The Dominican Republic does not require you to get a marriage license. You need only to register to be married. The Oficialia del Estado Civil charges RD$50 for this. This is the first step prior to getting a marriage certificate.

Submit the following paperwork before the Oficial?a del Estado Civil for the preparation of your marriage certificate. Note that you may send photocopies in advance and bring the original with you:

Passport
Birth certificate
Single status affidavit translated by an official translator into Spanish
Divorce certificate translated into Spanish by an official translator, if applicable

(Legal transcripts of the birth certificates, single status affidavit and divorce act need to be prepared at the Dominican consulate in the country where the documents were issued.)

You will also need two witnesses. If they are foreigners, they will need to have passports as identification. If they are Dominicans, "cedulas" are sufficient.

People who have been divorced in the DR under the Special Divorces Law need to wait 24 hours prior to getting married.

More here DR1 - Legal

Good luck